Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

if you set strava to private (i've done so, so as not to spam my friends with my commutes), are times you set on those private runs recorded on leaderboards?
    e.g. if i (god forbid) set a KOM on a segment on a private ride, would that KOM be hidden?
    No. I don't think it appears on a public leaderboard but will show up as a PB for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Yup I had a KOM that was taken from me 2 years before I got it... somebody obviously went to public profile and then the KOM went to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Whats the deal with unplaced riders in races? Say for an A3 race with Junior having won, would the first A3 rider across the line still get 10 points or how does it work?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Whats the deal with unplaced riders in races? Say for an A3 race with Junior having won, would the first A3 rider across the line still get 10 points or how does it work?

No, first across the line gets points for first and on down the line.
    You get first unplaced A2 and woman in mixed races (A1 + A2, A4 + women), but they don't get any points.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Luxman wrote: »
    No. I don't think it appears on a public leaderboard but will show up as a PB for you
    If a ride is made private after appearing on a leader board, will it stay there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Aldi has a "bike trailer and stroller" for €150 next Thursday; dunno if that's a bargain…

https://www.aldi.ie/2-in-1-bike-trailer-%26-stroller/p/077476148141100

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Chuchote wrote: »
    Aldi has a "bike trailer and stroller" for €150 next Thursday; dunno if that's a bargain…

https://www.aldi.ie/2-in-1-bike-trailer-%26-stroller/p/077476148141100
    Aldi always copy the branding of what they are undercutting, so that's meant to be equivalent to a Chariot Cougar, which is about €800.

It might be ok, in which case it could well be worth buying, even as a goods trailer. The Chariot Cougar is exceptionally good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've always struggled with the idea of those yokes, they just don't seem safe.

Miklos wrote: »
    I've always struggled with the idea of those yokes, they just don't seem safe.

It's a very common perception. They seem to be safer than bike seats though. Think Zürich Insurance did a comparison.

I certainly never got broad support from relatives for using the Chariot Cougar with the kids on normal roads. The bakfiets got nearly universal approval (or, more likely, no open dissent).

Based on the times I did use it with the kids, and the very many times I've used it as a goods trailer, people give you a lot of room with what looks like a kids trailer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If a ride is made private after appearing on a leader board, will it stay there?

I discovered this to my cost last week or the week before. It disappears. Think it gives you an option though.

I made it public again and had to refresh the activity and some segments again.

Lost a KoM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Aldi always copy the branding of what they are undercutting
    always bugged me, but someone pointed out that one reason they get away with it is that sometimes the brand they are undercutting are the ones producing the cheaper goods for them.

always bugged me, but someone pointed out that one reason they get away with it is that sometimes the brand they are undercutting are the ones producing the cheaper goods for them.

I think there was something in the papers in the UK about a customer buying a family pack of Hula Hoops and finding Snackrite equivalents in it. Or vice versa. Guess they went down the wrong bagging line.

EDIT:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/aldi-own-brand-hula-hoops-found-inside-kp-packet_uk_58f5cc6be4b0b9e9848e0f12

I think there was something in the papers in the UK about a customer buying a family pack of Hula Hoops and finding Snackrite equivalents in it. Or vice versa. Guess they went down the wrong bagging line.

Buddy of mine worked in Aldi and one of her customers hit the jackpot... Got Hula-Hoops in the Aldi branded multi pack outer.

I worked for a frozen food company many years ago, nearly all of the Tesco/Dunnes branded frozen fish, pizza and veg was produced and supplied by them. It's a common practice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

http://www.thejournal.ie/epo-cycling-amateur-lancet-study-3470653-Jun2017/

It seems we've all been wasting our time diligently taking EPO. Honestly what does it take to improve - actual exercise?

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

If a Strava segment falls in a forest but nobody is there to hear it, is it still yours/mine?

Fian wrote: »

It seems we've all been wasting our time diligently taking EPO. Honestly what does it take to improve - actual exercise?

Ah well.

Would this kind of carry on happen in the amateur ranks? A gym I trained in briefly, one of the warehouse type places was full of lads openly taking steroids and the likes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I worked for a frozen food company many years ago, nearly all of the Tesco/Dunnes branded frozen fish, pizza and veg was produced and supplied by them. It's a common practice

Same here, two very large UK retailers marketing to two very different economic groups, but it was the same desserts going into different packaging. A long time ago though, I am sure it doesn't happen anymore.

Same way Pat the Baker baked for half the country, although at least in that regard they bake them by following the different instructions from each client, rather than simply repackaging.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well, "you must use cycle tracks where provided", so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Fian wrote: »

Ah well.

Does this mean that Armstrong DID win all those Tours de France?

• Advertisement

A piece in the Belfast Telegraph mentions these yokes

https://www.immobitag.com/
    PROTECT YOUR BIKE
    A BIKE IS STOLEN EVERY 71 SECONDS IN THE UK

Act now and start protecting your bike with ImmobiTag, an easy-to-fit electronic tag emitting a unique ID that's embedded into your bike frame and is almost impossible to remove. ImmobiTag is registered on Immobilise - The UK national property register and is linked to all UK police forces.
    Learn about how ImmobiTag RFID tagging works...
    BENEFITS OF IMMOBITAG
    Easy-to-fit electronic identification (RFID) tag, no expertise required
    One off charge of £14.29
    No annual subscription
    No updating fees
    Managed entirely online
    Includes stickers to ward off would be thieves
    Linked to Immobilise, the UK national property register and all UK police forces
    Linked to CheckMEND, the national second-hand trade stolen property database

Do adverts.ie and the Gardaí have anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

Found a Castelli rain jacket near Marley Park yesterday morning, if you lost it or know anyone who did PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A piece in the Belfast Telegraph mentions these yokes

https://www.immobitag.com/

Do adverts.ie and the Gardaave anything like this?

Given that it's an RFID tag, there's no tracking. It's only useful if you can find the bike and scan it.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Given that it's an RFID tag, there's no tracking. It's only useful if you can find the bike and scan it.

Still waiting for someone to make a bike-size SigFox tracker. There are now companies making these trackers for containers - the huge ones that articulated lorries bring to ferries and roll on to them - so they'll track loads of goods across the world, but no one yet making a bike tracker, as far as I know.

SigFox because you don't have to have a SIM card; it uses the SigFox satellite system and is accurate to within a metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Still waiting for someone to make a bike-size SigFox tracker. There are now companies making these trackers for containers - the huge ones that articulated lorries bring to ferries and roll on to them - so they'll track loads of goods across the world, but no one yet making a bike tracker, as far as I know.

SigFox because you don't have to have a SIM card; it uses the SigFox satellite system and is accurate to within a metre.

You still need a Sigfox subscription but it is much cheaper. Bit pedantic but Sigfox uses terrestrial transmitters/receivers not satellite. I know all the RTE masts were to have Sigfox added but i'm not sure what the coverage is like in Ireland?

SigFox's own maps claim coverage across most of Ireland. Not Northern Ireland, Kerry or parts of Wicklow, though. But enough that it would work well as a bike tracker.

https://www.sigfox.com/en/coverage

I helped a buddy buy a bike this week and he was asking about decent locks because he was going to leave it outside work... I explained the under your ass or under the stairs. Unfortunately we live in a society where a bike can't be locked for more than a minute or two in a public place.
    When I'm cleaning or tinkering with my bike I do it in my shed but when I'm finished the bike comes back into the house. I have my shed connected to the house alarm but recently my area has been seen a spate of shed burglaries so I've just given in to the fact the bike needs to stay in the house

I have to say I've been leaving bikes locked in public in Dublin for donkey's years. Had a front wheel stolen once (learned that you have to secure front wheel), bike vandalised once (learned that you don't lock bikes behind pubs at night), and one wheel damaged beyond repair by a reversing car (again, while parked; not much I could do about that one). But I've never had a bike stolen.

If I had to bring the bike in with me at all times, cycling wouldn't be anywhere near as much practical use to me. I suppose I could switch to using the Brompton full time, but it would still be a total pain.

I have to say I've been leaving bikes locked in public in Dublin for donkey's years. Had a front wheel stolen once (learned that you have to secure front wheel), bike vandalised once (learned that you don't lock bikes behind pubs at night), and one wheel damaged beyond repair by a reversing car (not much I could do about that one). But I've never had a bike stolen.

If I had to bring the bike in with me at all times, cycling wouldn't be anywhere near as much practical use to me. I suppose I could switch to using the Brompton full time, but it would still be a total pain.

I use the heavy old 'functional' bike for trips to shops and so on, and the adorbz new light bike for 'cycling'. I'd pass on the old bike - have someone in mind even - if I had a tracker on the new bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I explained the under your ass or under the stairs. Unfortunately we live in a society where a bike can't be locked for more than a minute or two in a public place.

I've had one bike stolen in 25 years of cycling in Dublin, and that was from my parents' garage while I was on my J1. I've been locking bikes in public the entire time I've been cycling, but a mixture of good locks, good locking technique and common sense has meant I've never suffered the misfortune of theft from a public place. *touches wood*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement