Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

smacl wrote: »
    First bad accident on Friday since starting cycling. Coming down an l-road at about 35kph and met a car with a trailer just after a corner coming the other way. No room either side or option to ditch so braked hard, went over the bars, bounced off the bonnet and back into the road. Well banged up with both shoulders dislocated. One popped back in waiting for the ambulance, the other during a four man tug of war back in the hospital where I got to play the rope. Currently one arm in a sling and other should be in a sling, so won't be back on the bike any time soon. In better news, the bike is fine but the one casualty is my favourite boards jersey that had to be cut off. Big shout out to the paramedics for putting up with me for the 1hr30 from Caherdaniel to Tralee and the staff of Tralee hospital for fixing me up.

Bummer. Get well soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone know if its an offence to block an advance stop zone at lights?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean a car pulling across the stop line they're meant to stop at?
    AFAIK it's OK for them to be in there if they pull in when the light is green, but cannot proceed any further (e.g. yellow box in front of them with no clear exit), so can end up in one facing a red light; but if the light is red, they cannot pull past the line pertaining to cars.

My issue is with drivers (mainly taxis) approaching a red light and stopping in the ASZ instead of 1-2m back.

Must have a dig into the RTA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh, it's not just taxis, it's endemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

ED E wrote: »
    My issue is with drivers (mainly taxis) approaching a red light and stopping in the ASZ instead of 1-2m back.

Must have a dig into the RTA.

I always make a point of pulling in front of them, even if it means my bike is pointing across their car rather than in the direction i want to travel then the light changes. For the same reason i always go around cars who pull in tight to the left to try and stop my from filtering past them at lights - if they pull in close to the left curb I just pass them on the right.

The cars are doing this because they want to prevent filtering, I am circumventing them because I want them to understand that seeking to prevent filtering is pointless and ineffective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think cars are doing it so as to prevent filtering. Some do it out of ignorance alright, but I'd say very few people do it out of spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Fian wrote: »
    I always make a point of pulling in front of them, even if it means my bike is pointing across their car rather than in the direction i want to travel then the light changes. For the same reason i always go around cars who pull in tight to the left to try and stop my from filtering past them at lights - if they pull in close to the left curb I just pass them on the right.

Years ago, I stopped in the middle of the ASL at the NW end of Merrion Square, just before you cross the junction and pass the National Gallery, and waited there for the green light. The motorist who subsequently arrived behind me drove around me and stopped in the junction, at the other side of the ASL. Fortunately, this autotmotive variation of "shoaling" never caught on.

anyone else heading in to the dublin cycling campaign AGM tonight?

anyone else heading in to the dublin cycling campaign AGM tonight?

Oh, thanks for the reminder!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think cars are doing it so as to prevent filtering. Some do it out of ignorance alright, but I'd say very few people do it out of spite.

+1, it's ignorance mostly, or sometimes it's a car wanting to get a jump on a car in another lane they want to get into and they can't be bothered waiting.

I saw 2 taxis approaching a red with loads of time to stop this afternoon still roll on into the ASL.

The one at 5 lamps oftens gets someone in it as they get caught out by the light sequence rather than they are trying to get in ahead of anyone.

ED E wrote: »
    Oh, thanks for the reminder!
    we need a special boardsie secret signal to identify ourselves to each other. a rolled up trouserleg, maybe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus get well soon Smacl, that sounds hideous. Shoulders are a pain in the hole. The physio is essential and also mind numbingly boring. You have my deepest sympathies.

well, the DCC AGM was a success; i won a bottle of wine in the raffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Amiens St bridge was hit twice yesterday. Twice. By two different trucks.

If truck drivers can't see or avoid a bloody stationery railway bridge that's twice their height, what chance do cyclists have? They really need to have a proper think about construction traffic in the city.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

nee wrote: »
    Jesus get well soon Smacl, that sounds hideous. Shoulders are a pain in the hole. The physio is essential and also mind numbingly boring. You have my deepest sympathies.

Thanks Nee, in with the orthopaedic people tomorrow so hope to come out with a physio program then. Many years of martial arts in my younger life, so well used to endless mind numbing repetitive exercise. In fact I'm probably one a the few warped individuals that will actually enjoy the physio ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

seamus wrote: »

Both the bridges and the truck drivers share responsibility to pay close attention and have due regard for other users of the road.

those drivers should not be allowed drive into the bridges; they don't even pay bridge tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Surely that should read a bridge collided with a truck yesterday.

If truck drivers can't see or avoid a bloody stationery railway bridge that's twice their height, what chance do cyclists have? They really need to have a proper think about construction traffic in the city.

Agreed. Also if truck drivers are hitting stationary infrastructure they really need to re-sit their HGV license as they represent a hazard to all around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Was the bridge wearing hi-viz?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Was the bridge wearing hi-viz?

No, and it was all over the road....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks Nee, in with the orthopaedic people tomorrow so hope to come out with a physio program then. Many years of martial arts in my younger life, so well used to endless mind numbing repetitive exercise. In fact I'm probably one a the few warped individuals that will actually enjoy the physio ;)

Enjoy the rehab.

My 82 yr old mother broke both shoulders in early April and is back to about 60% and still improving so you'll be grand I would think

Really quite roads are great but I've nearly got caught once or twice with thinking they are empty! 2-3 cars over 60km is the norm lately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ford2600 wrote: »

Really quite roads are great but I've nearly got caught once or twice with thinking they are empty! 2-3 cars over 60km is the norm lately.

They are the kind of roads I used on my Sligo to Dublin odyssey in May. They were incredibly peaceful in comparison to what I'm normally on, and it was often a surprise to see a car. You can get lulled into a false sense of security.

ford2600 wrote: »

Primarily my own fault, happened on a corner here where I should have been going dead slow. Car I met braked hard and probably added only a few kph to our combined impact speed, though even then I managed to cave in his bumper. Poor bloke got a nasty shock too and cars with trailers taking the full width of the road are common enough on back roads that I should have been better prepared. Lack of concentration on the last km or so before the house out on a spin with a mate. Lesson learnt, and while it was a painful one it could have been much worse. Assuming my wife doesn't chuck the bike a skip between this and then, I should be back on the road in a few months with a bit of luck. Still love the l-roads for all the odd hazards they present.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Surely that should read a bridge collided with a truck yesterday.
    Iarnród Éireann originally put all the blame on the bridge :pac:

47upp9ftqr8z.jpg

(Tweet since deleted)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think a few do.
    Iarnrireann originally put all the blame on the bridge :pac:
    In fighting, seems bridges suffer the same issues as cyclists. If they worked together, things might get better for them. But you have the Suspension ones who are too big to talk to the little ones. Old school bricks and mortar with keystones who are just to stubborn to adapt although in fairness to them, you never see them doing anything wrong, always someone hitting them rather than the other way around (no matter what the hauliers association tells you). Unionised to the hilt as well. Rope ones, with their holier than though attitude. Talk all day about the importance of bridges but ask them to maintain themselves and they just expect someone else to do it for them. Alot of it is just pointless snobbery. The LUAS style suspension things ones are probably the worst IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Primarily my own fault, happened on a corner here where I should have been going dead slow. Car I met braked hard and probably added only a few kph to our combined impact speed, though even then I managed to cave in his bumper. Poor bloke got a nasty shock too and cars with trailers taking the full width of the road are common enough on back roads that I should have been better prepared. Lack of concentration on the last km or so before the house out on a spin with a mate. Lesson learnt, and while it was a painful one it could have been much worse. Assuming my wife doesn't chuck the bike a skip between this and then, I should be back on the road in a few months with a bit of luck. Still love the l-roads for all the odd hazards they present.

https://goo.gl/kq32mT

It's magic down that part of Iveragh, spent New year's around area above.

Since that Cross bike is going in skip I'll take it off you as a favour! The Genesis road bike on 28mm slicks has been challenged the last two Sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

What's it like on the Clontarf cycle track around 1800-2000hrs these evenings?

Supposed to be doing laps of the Phoenix Carpark tomorrow after work with two novice colleagues and the Park was horrendous.

Not sure the spin to Clontarf will go down any better though ...

• Advertisement

Any LBSs in Dublin selling display stands?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement