Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

smacl wrote: »
    In with the doc yesterday and told I'll be another month off the bike with the shoulders, at which point he recommended going back to the flat bar bike for short spins. Arse! Will have to look at getting the turbo set up.

Voyageur%20Long%20Wheelbase%20Recumbent%20Bike%204.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

@cdaly_ I'm doing well to keep the existing bikes out of a skip at the moment, if I picked up a recumbent I reckon herself would chuck me and all the bikes in the same skip :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

New Assos skinsuit.... Eh, nope

423571.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If they dropped the V shape a bit lower it'd look like a leotard.

That'd be awesome.

HOLWH_D1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

You can be sure that Beasty has one of these in his lair already. It's Assos!

• Advertisement

Sitting in Cong, Co. Mayo waiting on the other VCB team members to arrive for the Cunga CC two day A4 race thingy kicking off tomorrow! My first open race in over two years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Sitting in Cong, Co. Mayo waiting on the other VCB team members to arrive for the Cunga CC two day A4 race thingy kicking off tomorrow! My first open race in over two years!

staying in the castle or the lodge?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Rest of the team in the hostel ;)

manafana wrote: »
    staying in the castle or the lodge?

Yea right! The price of the place is crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Tragic news from the Transcontinental race
    Early this afternoon we received confirmation of a fatal road traffic collision involving Frank Simons, rider 172. It is the saddest and most shocking news and our thoughts are immediately with Frank’s family, who we have been in contact with through their nominated next of kin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

While recently travelling around Lake Garda I met the Israeli womens national team out for a ride.

Then when collecting a bike with one of those half bike trailer things that a kid can sit on and pedal with you attached, 3 members of the Astana team pulled up beside me to pop into the small grocers for some fruit. One of them crunched his gears when pulling back into traffic again, an embarrassment to his nation.

The mainland Europers don't know how lucky they have it being able to drive to such places, pretty much every family has brought their bikes with them and moseying around the campsites and lakefront.

I also forgot how much fun it is to potter around on a bike with high bars with nowhere to go and no time to be there at. Plus I lost my inhibition of ringing my polite little bell to let people know we're coming behind pretty quickly, seems odd not to do so now.

tomasrojo wrote: »

Not that you'd be needing them anyway, what with it being electric and all that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Currently in Cascais. Bikes to rent everywhere at different prices. Generally €5 for 2 hrs for brain mountain bike but also Dublin Bike style ones that are apparently free about the place.

Also noticed electric bikes in the museum quarter too. The place is small and everything is walkable but seemingly streets ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Weepsie wrote: »
    but also Dublin Bike style ones that are apparently free about the place.

Got the (last two) free ones the day we were there having been told about them from the lady running our accommodation. Grand for the day, nice cycle out the coast for vinho and giant prawns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

may be worth popping in to decathlon just outside cascais if you've spare room in the luggage coming home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

may be worth popping in to decathlon just outside cascais if you've spare room in the luggage coming home.

Had I known I'd have gone. Off to Porto tomorrow for a change of scene.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alek wrote: »
    Tragic news from the Transcontinental race

Condolences to his friends and family, no one should ever go out and not come home, nor should anyone have to deal with waiting for someone to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Weepsie wrote: »
    Had I known I'd have gone. Off to Porto tomorrow for a change of scene.

There's one in Porto too.

More MTB focused but still worth a snoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Got a pair of winter bib tights for 10 euros in a Decathlon sale last week - just look at the numbers on anything you are buying. 100 is not great (basically meant for someone who sits on a bike for an hour once a week), 500 will do the job and 700 or 900 are great quality stuff designed for proper use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Ultra endurance stuff continues to fascinate me, a great comparison of the three biggies in the US from the only man to finish them all.

https://www.bermudezcoaching.com/single-post/2017/07/23/Comparing-RAAM-the-Tour-Divide-and-the-TransAm-Bike-Race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I can't remember who said it on Twitter, but every time someone exits the Trump administration, Oompa Loompas should appear and sing a cautionary song.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Not solely bike related, but there's a public consultation open on the level of property tax in Dublin. DCC lowered it previously, meaning less money available for various projects and maintenance, but obviously less tax for householders. Want more money to put toward cycling infrastructure and/or Dublin Bikes? This could be the way.

http://www.dublincity.ie/public-asked-if-local-property-tax-rate-should-be-varied-dublin-city-1
    Public asked if Local Property Tax rate should be varied in Dublin city

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/finance/lpt-consultation-2018/ (link at very bottom of page)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

On the subject of public consultation, I heard on Morning Ireland this morning that the NTA has just launched a survey on the operation of rickshaws.

I have no problem with them in principle, but in practice I find them to be a nuisance if I'm cycling around town late at night- the South Great George's Street-Aungier Street-Camden Street route in particular is plagued with them.

Survey here: https://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/nta-launches-online-survey-ahead-rickshaw-legislation/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    I have no problem with them in principle, but in practice I find them to be a nuisance if I'm cycling around town late at night- the South Great George's Street-Aungier Street-Camden Street route in particular is plagued with them.

Yeah, I don't go that way at night that often, but I have seen a lot of them.

That whole stretch should be grouped together into some common strategy, à la Temple Bar, but with a more tasteful outcome. It's one of the liveliest parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm looking into getting a new bike from Planet X. Can someone tell me what the relevance of these options are?

zvl5Qpy.jpg

They all cost the same and I have no idea what the impact of the different lengths would be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the first measurement - 175mm, etc., is the length of the crank arm; longer ones for taller people generally.
    the second is the tooth count on the two rings. 50-34T is compact, 52-36T is mid-compact.

you'll get differing opinions on which crank length is ideal for which height; here's one such opinion:
    https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/06/crank-length-which-one/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm looking into getting a new bike from Planet X. Can someone tell me what the relevance of these options are?
    I found this useful.
    http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

I was getting a new front chain ring and wondered how many teeth to get.

I knew on my cassette I never or very rarely used the top 4 largest cogss, and was always in the highest 11 & 12 teeth.

So really I wanted the easiest gear to be equal to my 4th largest cog on the cassette.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Zillah wrote: »

zvl5Qpy.jpg

They all cost the same and I have no idea what the impact of the different lengths would be.

170,172.5, 175mm is length of crank; I notice no difference between 172.5 and 175 but other lads swear there is a huge difference.

If you are tall I'd be inclined to go either the 172.5 or 175

52/36 is in relation to front two rings on chainset 52 teeth and 36 teeth ditto for 50/34.

50/34 will give slightly lower gears about 4% difference or so. In my experience it won't matter a ****e for most lads.

Welcome to the world of catabolic sports and losing all those hard earned gainz :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement