Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

i'm thinking of getting a bike i can take down the shops for a quick spin, cos none of the three i have are suitable (paranoia about being stolen, unsuitability for other reasons); i saw a singlespeed asking €150 in a place which trains long term unemployed in bike mechanics - so it's one they've refurbished themselves. that price would be pretty much ballpark for such a beast, yeah?

Yep. You won't get cheaper unless you find someone with a forgotten bike in the shed that you're willing to put a bit of work in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my main problem with it was that someone decided to spray one side of the chain orange.
    424383.jpg

probably would have gone for the ten speed behind it (same price), only it's a little too large for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

my main problem with it was that someone decided to spray one side of the chain orange.
    424383.jpg

probably would have gone for the ten speed behind it (same price), only it's a little too large for me.

Y'call that a hack?

This is a hack!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Beasty wrote: »

...and at those prices only you would buy them.
    109 quid for a bottle cage!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

koutoubia wrote: »

about 6 euro per gramme!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Dublin PARKing day will be 15th September this year, if anyone fancies occupying a car parking space with an installation or maybe we can all meet up for a picnic?

http://architectureireland.ie/dublin-parking-day-call-out-2017
    http://www.dublinparkingday.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

buffalo wrote: »
    Dublin PARKing day will be 15th September this year, if anyone fancies occupying a car parking space with an installation or maybe we can all meet up for a picnic?

http://architectureireland.ie/dublin-parking-day-call-out-2017
    http://www.dublinparkingday.org/

As if the pressure on parking spaces wasn't enough, bloody hippies :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

koutoubia wrote: »
    Well if you want colour what do you expect:confused:
    B&W is €30 cheaper

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on the cycle in this morning, coming up to a roundabout on the strand road, a car behind waited politely behind me and passed me in a very safe and sensible manner on the other side of the roundabout. except it was one of those volvo estate ambulances with blue lights flashing. (s)he could have just given me a blip of the siren and i'd have been happy to move over...

• Advertisement

on the cycle in this morning, coming up to a roundabout on the strand road, a car behind waited politely behind me and passed me in a very safe and sensible manner on the other side of the roundabout. except it was one of those volvo estate ambulances with blue lights flashing. (s)he could have just given me a blip of the siren and i'd have been happy to move over...

You're a mod but no forum? Handy number that is :pac:

i'm a mercenary. will mod for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

i'm a mercenary. will mod for food.

Are you like an assassin except you ban people? How much for a hit? Take it to pm, obviously we don't want to leave a public paper trail.

was passed by a company van on the way home today, advertising the fact that the company sells bulletproof glass. now there's an industry i hope i never find myself working in, you must meet the nicest of people.

was passed by a company van on the way home today, advertising the fact that the company sells bulletproof glass. now there's an industry i hope i never find myself working in, you must meet the nicest of people.

Would be mainly for banks/post offices etc I would have thought rather than the gangsters getting their houses kitted out

yeah, i figured that, but i bet they get a few enquiries from ne'er-do-wells.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Would be mainly for banks/post offices etc I would have thought rather than the gangsters getting their houses kitted out

You would hope that's all it's for anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Is eurosport player dead for anyone else?

No go on phone or pc atm

Seven Worlds will Collide

Although one of the Limerick gangs did have an armored BMW, I think it was a 7series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

• Advertisement

a chap i know vaguely works in the home security business; locks, security systems, etc.
    he knows a guy who installs panic rooms. guaranteed half an hour to get into them, that sort of thing. often involves a near rebuild of a house. apparently his customers are delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Although one of the Limerick gangs did have an armored BMW, I think it was a 7series

As I remember, it was a BMW X5, later taken over and used by the Garda E.R.U.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was getting pissed off this evening by another cyclist on a BMX who kept going in front of me at each red light only for me to have to pass him again and again. I decided to have a word with him and explained to him that, as I was faster, it made more sense for him to wait behind me rather than going in front only for me to have to pass him again.

His reply (in broken English) was "You say you faster but I still in front".

I had no comeback on that! :o

I was getting pissed off this evening by another cyclist on a BMX who kept going in front of me at each red light only for me to have to pass him again and again. I decided to have a word with him and explained to him that, as I was faster, it made more sense for him to wait behind me rather than going in front only for me to have to pass him again.

His reply (in broken English) was "You say you faster but I still in front".

I had no comeback on that! :o

That is pretty funny to be fair. Also you couldn't drop a guy on a BMX? Are you really wishbone ash?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

might have been left on by accident, like so many car indicators. I never trust car indicators because of this, strangely it seems none trust my signals on a bike either -as though I might have left my arm sticking out by accident.

It also might not have had a siren, and not have technically been a legally recognised ambulance. I wondered about the legality of alleged ambulances, seems some just write it on the side and hope for the best, just like you see dodgy minivans with BUS written on the side, with only a driver in them and yet driving in bus lanes.
    I was getting pissed off this evening by another cyclist on a BMX who kept going in front of me at each red light only for me to have to pass him again and again.
    Why do you keep leaving them room to overtake? or are they illegally in some area they are not supposed to be? I have overtaken some faster cyclists who hang back well from the stop line, if I was to stick behind them I would be in the way of traffic turning left -I see others do this too, the fast cyclist might hang back so he can hang onto a traffic sign or other object so they do not have to put a foot down.

And as above, if some beast was continually catching up and overtaking me on a bmx fair fcuks to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

yeah, i figured that, but i bet they get a few enquiries from ne'er-do-wells.

I don't know that this is necessarily so - that it's mostly banks, etc; surely they more usually use high-impact glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That is pretty funny to be fair. Also you couldn't drop a guy on a BMX? Are you really wishbone ash?
    I've often wondered about that myself. I'm half the cyclist I used to be. :o
    rubadub wrote: »
    ...Why do you keep leaving them room to overtake? ...

......And as above, if some beast was continually catching up and overtaking me on a bmx fair fcuks to him.
    I can't really blatantly block another cyclist if there is adequate room for him to move to the front.

...And it was multiple red lights over a very short period in heavy traffic (Drumcondra/Dorset Street). The BMX rider was no 'beast'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

"rubadub wrote:
    I have overtaken some faster cyclists who hang back well from the stop line, if I was to stick behind them I would be in the way of traffic turning left -I see others do this too, the fast cyclist might hang back so he can hang onto a traffic sign or other object so they do not have to put a foot down.

This is really, really, really irritating. Happens to me almost every day.

If someone is faster than you, stay behind them. You can easily and safely line up behind the faster cyclist, half wheel if you have the urge to compact it a bit.
    Or better option, simply stay in front of the second in line car.
    The canal is cat for this, you end up stuck behind shoalers and you can't get by them *again* in traffic. I just can't get behind the mentality of it.
    If someone is faster than me, I stay behind them. I've never felt vulnerable doing so, nor have I ever, in 200k of commuting per week alone on particularly antagonistic roads (that's you n11) felt unsafe or endangered by staying behind a faster cyclist.
    It's probably one of the most irritating other cyclist behaviours I come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

nee wrote: »
    This is really, really, really irritating. Happens to me almost every day.

If someone is faster than you, stay behind them. You can easily and safely line up behind the faster cyclist, half wheel if you have the urge to compact it a bit.
    Or better option, simply stay in front of the second in line car.
    The canal is cat for this, you end up stuck behind shoalers and you can't get by them *again* in traffic. I just can't get behind the mentality of it.
    If someone is faster than me, I stay behind them. I've never felt vulnerable doing so, nor have I ever, in 200k of commuting per week alone on particularly antagonistic roads (that's you n11) felt unsafe or endangered by staying behind a faster cyclist.
    It's probably one of the most irritating other cyclist behaviours I come across.

It's not really a people who cycle thing tbh. People who drive do the same thing. RXXX road with few to no cars on it, car in front of me doing the limit, ah well, I can pass so I will, cos then I'm ahead. 30 seconds later... Oh look, traffic lights. Well at least I got here before them.

Have it happen all the time from Celbridge to N4. Then they'll enter the N4 at like 50 and you've to move lanes almost immediately to get to limit again, then you're gone past them again wondering why they bothered. Saps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

PhD in cycling injuries - funded by the RSA…

http://www.tcd.ie/Engineering/assets/pdf/TCD_RSA_PhDadvert.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement