Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can't really blatantly block another cyclist if there is adequate room for him to move to the front.
    Why are you leaving adequate room for him? that is what I am getting at, if you do leave not room then you have effectively blocked him from doing it.
    nee wrote: »
    If someone is faster than you, stay behind them. You can easily and safely line up behind the faster cyclist, half wheel if you have the urge to compact it a bit
    You cannot always easily and safely stay behind them. I only do it for my own safety and it is thankfully rare enough. But you do get inconsiderate assholes forcing others to do it.

This is the main spot I see it happening.
    https://goo.gl/maps/8VLoRUGADE92

The cyclist can stop well short of the stop line, and balance with his hand on the white sign thing so they do not have to put a foot down. Then you have have several other cyclists come up behind and the filter light to the the left is usually green or flashing amber, there can be large trucks going into the dunnes in the background. There can be a bus stopped in the lane so you cannot even go to one side of others.

you quoted my exact description of this, mentioning hanging onto signs.
    This is really, really, really irritating. Happens to me almost every day.
    are you saying you are one of these "balancers"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rubadub wrote: »
    Why are you leaving adequate room for him? "....
    I didn't design the roads/cycle tracks. I usually unclip my left foot and rest it on the kerb (if available). Are you suggesting that I should place my bike sideways to block everyone? And those that are faster than me may wish to move ahead anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

rubadub wrote: »
    Why are you leaving adequate room for him? that is what I am getting at, if you do leave not room then you have effectively blocked him from doing it.

You cannot always easily and safely stay behind them. I only do it for my own safety and it is thankfully rare enough. But you do get inconsiderate assholes forcing others to do it.

This is the main spot I see it happening.
    https://goo.gl/maps/8VLoRUGADE92

The cyclist can stop well short of the stop line, and balance with his hand on the white sign thing so they do not have to put a foot down. Then you have have several other cyclists come up behind and the filter light to the the left is usually green or flashing amber, there can be large trucks going into the dunnes in the background. There can be a bus stopped in the lane so you cannot even go to one side of others.

you quoted my exact description of this, mentioning hanging onto signs.

are you saying you are one of these "balancers"

That spot is dodge alright, but I'd thy lights are red there's normally a queue of cars going straight ahead when I'm there, and I just pop in line beside them.

Sometimes I balance, particularly on the track bike, clipping in and out and moving the pedal round is a pain in the arse but I definitely don't endanger myself or anyone else doing it! And I pop up to the stop line to do so, otherwise iclip out. I balance in behind people too, in the queue if they're there before me.

I just can't imagine a situation where it's ok to go by someone who's faster than you.
    It's a really wanky thing to do in my book.

I get it a lot on my commute,less so when on the road or track bikes in lycra. People see a woman on an old ten speed and make assumptions. If they're really wanky about it I'll go by them (at the speed I'm doing anyway!) freewheeling with my hands off the bars fixing my hair or gloves #hypercasual and then you hear the 'clack clack clack' of them crunching through their gears. It's particularly gratifying to do it when they're turning red and gasping up a hill having just shoaled you at the lights.

It's just so utterly pointless. And annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

good photo essay in the Gurdain on 3,750km audax race (belgium to greece). completed in just under 9 days.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/gallery/2017/aug/11/the-transcontinental-bike-race-2400-gruelling-miles-across-europe-in-pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Chuchote wrote: »
    Big mountain bike fans who have invested in mountain bike trails and run a mountain bike festival in Arkansas and happen to be also be Walmart heirs (more importantly also directors of the company) now own Rapha vis their company RCZ Investments.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/07/british-cycling-brand-rapha-sold-to-walmart-heirs-for-200m

FTFY, so that the click bait wasn't as strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Me this morning ......That smug feeling you get when you pass a fellow cyclist with air hissing out of their tire that turns to dread when you realise it you ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

detones wrote: »
    Me this morning ......That smug feeling you get when you pass a fellow cyclist with air hissing out of their tire that turns to dread when you realise it you ;-)

:eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Anyone up in Howth Summit car park early this morning? I spun up there on my way to work at around 7.30 and there were 2 girls that were either in the process of setting up for, or had just had a little recital of some sort! There were 2 chairs and music stands set up and a cello in an open case beside their car.

There wasn't another sinner around so no idea what it was about. I was in a hurry to get work so didn't stop to ask them what was going on. Ok, I was also gasping for air at the time too.................!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Group in work taking on a long distance charity cycle next month. Some have gone out and bought bikes to do it...

The only people that have signed up to the training spins are the ones who cycle anyway. Broomwagon is gonna have it's work cut out

Group in work taking on a long distance charity cycle next month. Some have gone out and bought bikes to do it...

The only people that have signed up to the training spins are the ones who cycle anyway. Broomwagon is gonna have it's work cut out

Pretty typical in my experience,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

I like the concept of "green-cycling", and the fact that I'm getting so many therapeutic benefits every time I head out, especially to the hills

http://theconversation.com/the-real-reason-middle-aged-men-in-lycra-dominate-cycling-its-not-a-mid-life-crisis-82167

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

detones wrote: »

Me reasonably recently - ha ha, oh fvk... pull over. Tyre reasonably hard (it's a 28mm commuter so there is always some give) and no hissing. Rotate wheel ... hiss :confused:

tar + leaves/stone + mudguards = rubbing that sounds like a massive puncture.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So, eh, it turns out Planet X bikes don't come with pedals included. You'd think they would draw attention to that, considering everything comes as standard. I can swap the (quite new) ones from my old bike but I don't have the tools. I now possess a fancy new bike I can't ride yet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Hardly any higher end road bikes come with pedals on these days, there are too many pedal options out there.

But why not have the option to add them during purchase? Everything else had slots for picking components, didn't even dawn on me to check they had left out anything major. Didn't miss the opportunity to recommend a range of overpriced water bottle holders, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Zillah wrote: »
    So, eh, it turns out Planet X bikes don't come with pedals included. You'd think they would draw attention to that, considering everything comes as standard. I can swap the (quite new) ones from my old bike but I don't have the tools. I now possess a fancy new bike I can't ride yet :/

What self respecting man doesn't have a 15mm open ended spanner

But why not have the option to add them during purchase? Everything else had slots for picking components, didn't even dawn on me to check they had left out anything major. Didn't miss the opportunity to recommend a range of overpriced water bottle holders, though.

Other components aren't specific to your choice of cleat. Bottle cages aren't comparable to pedals.

Maybe get the tools to swap pedals instead of blaming PX for not adding an option that few would need. It's only one tool.

ford2600 wrote: »
    What self respecting person doesn't have a 15mm open ended spanner

Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement

Fixed that for you.

Well done.

Given I know @Zillah is a man I thought I'd personalise the joke a little.

Hope I didn't offend you too much

Do you think that when you encounter someone who isn't as familiar with your hobbies as you are the best response is to act pretentious and condescending?

Do you think that when you encounter someone who isn't as familiar with your hobbies as you are the best response is to act pretentious and condescending?

Where are you based? I have all the tools needed and copper grease to pop on the threads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What self respecting man doesn't have a 15mm open ended spanner

There was I with me 15mm and a new pair of Ultegra pedals only to have to go rooting for a big allen key as there were no flats for a spanner.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Don't know about Ford2600, but that's my best response when someone comes on with what I consider a ****ed up sense of entitlement and total lack of self responsibility, evidenced by their decision to criticise a company for not giving them all the options that they didn't know they needed cos they either didn't research it properly or don't have the cop on to have the most basic of tools in their home.

I don't regret that decision either considering your defence is claiming you're someone who "isn't as familiar with your hobbies", yet you already mentioned having another bike... which is it? You have another bike but never ride it therefore don't understand the basics of cycling?

Well done.

Given I know @Zillah is a man I thought I'd personalise the joke a little.

Hope I didn't offend you too much

Ah no... well, maybe a wee bit. I'll get over it.

Even in bike shops pedals wouldn't normally come with higher end Road bikes.

Most riders will use shimano, look, time or whatever pedals.

If you put up your area and your preferred pedal system you'd probably be sorted this evening

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Don't know about Ford2600, but that's my best response when someone comes on with what I consider a ****ed up sense of entitlement and total lack of self responsibility, evidenced by their decision to criticise a company for not giving them all the options that they didn't know they needed cos they either didn't research it properly or don't have the cop on to have the most basic of tools in their home.
    i'm scratching my head as to not knowing that bikes don't ship with pedals translates to 'a ****ed up sense of entitlement' and 'total lack of self responsibility'. i only recently bought a pedal spanner, after my collection had grown to three bikes.

i'm scratching my head as to not knowing that bikes don't ship with pedals translates to 'a ****ed up sense of entitlement' and 'total lack of self responsibility'. i only recently bought a pedal spanner, after my collection had grown to three bikes.

That was not my correlation. A lack of knowledge at some point happens us all, condemning someone else for your own lack of knowledge is totally different.

• Advertisement

That was not my correlation. A lack of knowledge at some point happens us all, condemning someone else for your own lack of knowledge is totally different.

I actually get where you're coming from but didn't it escalate awful quickly. A group hug is needed :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement