Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

i'm still none the wiser. ****ed up sense of entitlement?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entitlement

"3: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges"

In this case "But why not have the option to add them during purchase? Everything else had slots for picking components, didn't even dawn on me to check they had left out anything major. Didn't miss the opportunity to recommend a range of overpriced water bottle holders, though."

So OP is criticising PX for not having an option to add pedals, which he himself didn't think of. He feels they should have that option basically so that he doesn't have to think about it. He then accuses them in a cynical manner of recommending him sone "overpriced water bottle holders" (which I'd like to see and an explanation as to why they're over-priced).

It's not too much of a push to suggest that OP feels entitled to or deserves a "pedal option" from that extrapolation, right?

Like I said before, being pissed off because you messed up is one thing, blaming someone else for it because they didn't build a site the way you want it is another. Plus, I wouldn't have made the comment if he didn't make the comment about "your hobbies" when he already has a bike himself.

Satisfied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I actually get where you're coming from but didn't it escalate awful quickly. A group hug is needed :pac:

Escalation explained previously. MAMIL hugs are awkward.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Jebus, whether you hug in lycra, other clothes or just buck ass nude, it is all good. Whether people have pedals or not. Lets just have a nice weekend and leave the pedal discussion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I got a pedal spanner in the local bike shop, it's not the end of the world, but anticipating that a new bike might have all the normal components of a bike isn't exactly an insane proposition for someone who is buying their first proper road bike, and pouring scorn on them for not having every piece of equipment that they could need is a little bit much; doesn't exactly create a welcoming atmosphere for people new to it.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be off on my shiny new carbon frame in a bit.

EDIT: like riding a cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What a wasted day. I had planned an early spin and got a text from my buddy to hang on and he'll join me in the afternoon. Grand says I, he's an insane PT and pushes me so glad to hang on, then he texts again to say something has come up and I'm still looking for the motivation to get out now :(

To be fair it's very rare I vegetate on the couch and watch the braindead box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is it creepy to befriend a stranger of the opposite sex on Strava that you spoke to for five minutes on a spin (and then found via Flybys) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

buffalo wrote: »
    Is it creepy to befriend a stranger of the opposite sex on Strava that you spoke to for five minutes on a spin (and then found via Flybys) ?
    One way to find out. Chance it.
    Otherwise, it's a minefield of double standards and what-ifs.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

It's only Strava, don't worry about it.

If its creepy to do it to someone of the same sex, then it is creepy. If it isn't creepy to do it to someone of your own sex, then it is not.

Once met a guy from boards at a christmas party for a completely different social group, who introduced himself with his username and knew me. I don't think that was creepy and this would be far less creepy than that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I read an article last week, by a woman, talking about how creepy it is.

• Advertisement

Whatever about Strava but at least once a week I have candidates try add me on Facebook. I find it more odd than creepy. I mean who adds recruiters on fb

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whatever about Strava but at least once a week I have candidates try add me on Facebook. I find it more odd than creepy. I mean who adds recruiters on fb
    Ha! This is how it feels when another b'stard recruiter cold calls me asking me whether I have hiring plans. Feel the burn!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean people you've interviewed or discussed jobs with, do this? that's bananas.

you mean people you've interviewed or discussed jobs with, do this? that's bananas.

Yup. I also have my fb page fairly locked down when it comes to privacy
    Lumen wrote: »
    Ha! This is how it feels when another b'stard recruiter cold calls me asking me whether I have hiring plans. Feel the burn!
    So... hiring plans you say?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why would you want to open up your private life to someone who should not be concerned about it?

that'd be a fun question to ask in an interview - 'so, you sent me a friend request on facebook. do you not think that could be interfering the job interview process?'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

"So, you sent me a friend request on Facebook. What makes you think you're my friend?"

It's usually afterwards when I'm working with them through interviews with my clients. Maybe I should be less friendly and just be 100% robotic and business like

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I read an article last week, by a woman, talking about how creepy it is.
    The difference between stalking and romantic bravado is the attractiveness of the subject. :D

On a somewhat-related note, I seem to have lost my rainjacket on Saturday, possibly descending off Piperstown.

One of the Castelli white/translucent LS ones: http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360078967/Castelli_Sottile-Due-Jacket-White_2013.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&a=7

If anyone picks one up, I'd love to get it back. Though I suspect I'm probably more likely to be guilty of littering our lovely mountains. :(

Also searching for the dude who was wheel-sucking me in the Phoenix Park on Saturday. No greeting, no warning, and no word of thanks as I turned off for home.

If this was you, the least you could do is say hello. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If ye gave a connection and you're looking to follow up, then it's quite romantic. Or if ye are are already attached but got chatting and got on platonically and would like a training partner (abs are reasonably confident this us reciprocal) then it's ok. If it was just a friendly nod in passing, then it's creepy and annoying.
    It's strange, I've never thought of anyone I cycle with romantically. They instantly go into the friend 'category'. I just assume all male cyclists are married/significantly attached. I see a strong correlation now :pac:

ETA: If it was a reciprocal connection not creepy, if not creepy.

nee wrote: »
    It's strange, I've never thought of anyone I cycle with romantically. They instantly go into the friend 'category'. I just assume all male cyclists are married/significantly attached. I see a strong correlation now :pac:
    Before I met my partner,
    I just presumed that anyone who has seen me in cycling gear would not have any romantic interest. This said, I make the same assumption in my regular clothes.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Before I met my partner,
    I just presumed that anyone who has seen me in cycling gear would not have any romantic interest. This said, I make the same assumption in my regular clothes.

Cycling gear for anybody who is not 'Sport cut' is hugely unflattering alright.

The tan lines are the worst. Every year I actively resist. Every year I fail, damn that unexpectedly sunny March/April day.

It's the sock line that is the most tragic. You can kind of get away with the rest. I'm instituting an ankle sock policy until at least July next year.

The tan lines are the worst. Every year I actively resist. Every year I fail, damn that unexpectedly sunny March/April day.

It's the sock line that is the most tragic. You can kind of get away with the rest. I'm instituting an ankle sock policy until at least July next year.

Few sunbeds, be grand then :pac:

During the really fine weather we had I wore my big Oakleys on one of my rides, my face ended up burned with the glasses mark pure white.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Before I met my partner,
    my wife long ago realised that my 'i'm not checking *her* out, i'm checking her *bike* out' protestations were actually true.

Few sunbeds, be grand then :pac:

During the really fine weather we had I wore my big Oakleys on one of my rides, my face ended up burned with the glasses mark pure white.

I'm ok for skin cancer :eek:

Happily my facial moisturizer has a sunscreen in it, otherwise I'd look like a reverse panda.

This is wrong. You must instead wear tall socks off the bike.

Lumen wrote: »
    This is wrong. You must instead wear tall socks off the bike.

Nein.
    The cycling sock line would still remain in this case. We say no to sock lines. NO!

The short line isn't ideal either but normal people have them too so it's not as bad. I can see my short line through my tights though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It's usually afterwards when I'm working with them through interviews with my clients. Maybe I should be less friendly and just be 100% robotic and business like

On the other end, I had a recruiter text me at 7am on a Sunday, then proceed to call me three times before 9am to see if I knew a specific technology because he had an "urgent" customer. I had only talk to this guys once, two and a half years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement