Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Thanks. An interesting future speaker would be Michael Ahern of the National Transport Authority, who can talk about the authority's plan for a cycle network in the Greater Dublin Area (a super plan that seems to have been shelved since its production in 2013).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like he gave a talk, albeit several years ago:
    http://www.dublincycling.ie/events/vision-2020-good-news-cycling-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Chuchote wrote: »
    (a super plan that seems to have been shelved since its production in 2013).

What makes you think it's been shelved?

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    What makes you think it's been shelved?

I don't see this network appearing.

• Advertisement

it gave me a bit of a chuckle last night that the woman from the NRA who went over to the conference, and talked about what she saw, admitted to not being a cyclist at all and being nervous about actually getting on a bike; there were multiple arranged cycles for the participants at it, so she had to saddle up.

it gave me a bit of a chuckle last night that the woman from the NRA who went over to the conference, and talked about what she saw, admitted to not being a cyclist at all and being nervous about actually getting on a bike; there were multiple arranged cycles for the participants at it, so she had to saddle up.

The National Rifle Association were there? They're coming for us?

whoops. the RSA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone who has ever ordered from Galibier, how long as it normally taken? I'm only a few days waiting, but that rain last night would have been a great tester for my new Mistral jacket. My Fiandre did its reliable best however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Advertisement

is there some religious festival on today? both ballyboughal and garristown were jammed with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

is there some religious festival on today? both ballyboughal and garristown were jammed with cars.
    The Assumption.

i don't want assumptions, i want facts, godammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Out for a wander this evening and while being bet into kerbs by cars in the bus/cycle lane I got to musing as to why taxis are allowed to use the cycle lanes?

I mean why does a taxi with one passenger or even no passenger get priority over a private car?

I mean why does a taxi with one passenger or even no passenger get priority over a private car?
    this was only granted about 20 years ago, i think. it's something i've often wondered. as in; how come if i drive into town on my own, it's a private journey using 'private' lanes, but if i pay someone to drive me into town - achieving the same result with the same resources - i benefit from the 'public' lanes.

this was only granted about 20 years ago, i think. it's something i've often wondered. as in; how come if i drive into town on my own, it's a private journey using 'private' lanes, but if i pay someone to drive me into town - achieving the same result with the same resources - i benefit from the 'public' lanes.

Needs to be revoked. Madness that I can jump into a taxi on a Friday evening during rush hour and get ferried to the boozer in a bus lane skipping the traffic

This is what the law says about Taxis.
    (i) a taxi or a wheelchair accessible taxi which is being used in the course of business

It's a little vague. I always thought they had to be carrying a passenger, and there was the whole they could be on their way somewhere but have an address scribbled down to show if they are enroute etc.

However, it having their plate on might be all the proof they need.

There are some bus lanes that go from 24 hours to certain times and back.They're frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is what the law says about Taxis.

It's a little vague. I always thought they had to be carrying a passenger, and there was the whole they could be on their way somewhere but have an address scribbled down to show if they are enroute etc.

However, it having their plate on might be all the proof they need.

There are some bus lanes that go from 24 hours to certain times and back.They're frustrating

Pretty much the only time a taxi is not permitted to use a buslane is when they are on the way home after finishing a shift.

It's not the taxi drivers fault, they're just doing what the law allows. I'm just struggling to understand the reasoning behind it. Are taxis allowed to use buslanes in the UK?

They can in the UK.

I assume it's more for the consumer's benefit. You pay by time if stuck in traffic rather than distance do you not?

• Advertisement

The problem with taxis came about because of deregulation. A few years ago all taxis had to be licensed and the licences cost a fortune; when the strings were loosened it was done too extremely and now every second car seems to be a taxi.

Having taxis in bus lanes was fine when there were a few hundred in Dublin. Now there are thousands and thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It's not the taxi drivers fault, they're just doing what the law allows. I'm just struggling to understand the reasoning behind it. Are taxis allowed to use buslanes in the UK?
    Hackneys/Black cabs can in London. Minicabs/Uber (thankfully) cannot. Other local authorities might be different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Now, this is simply bat shoite crazy.
    QUADRUPLE EVERESTING ATTEMPT

Starting in just a few hours, Mark Brocklehurst is looking to bag four non-stop Everest's. The Plan A (only one plan) is to rack up 116,116ft on a 308ft hill just outside Manchester, UK.
    Mark has factored in 3x15 minute power naps over the estimated 84 hour, 525 mile ride (remember, there is a 2 hour sleep allowance for every subsequent everesting when completing multiples).

Mark will be joined by four buddies who will be doing their own Everesting with him, and he has a team from the University of Bolton, his charity Bolton Lads & Girls Club and an assortment of his family & friends.

The calculator shows Mark will be burning 36,400 calories! Both his body & mind are well prepared, and he looks forward to reporting back on Saturday night to tell us how it went.....

Get behind Mark here:
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mark-brocklehurst6

https://www.facebook.com/hells500/photos/a.500068820065540.1073741827.125464844192608/1623157614423316/?type=3

20799495_1623157614423316_206212634957851247_n.jpg?oh=72fd77a47a1dd0bba69ff6c45383064d&oe=5A289057

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Needs to be revoked. Madness that I can jump into a taxi on a Friday evening during rush hour and get ferried to the boozer in a bus lane skipping the traffic

More than once I've had to ask the taxi I'm in to use the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I suspect the rationale is that a taxi is used over and over again during the shift by different people and is therefore a more efficient use of a vehicle rather than those users bringing their own private transport onto public roads and subsequently requiring parking etc.

some comment from sustrans on the trial in belfast - including a comment on dublin:

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/news/call-time-taxi-trial-belfast-bus-lanes

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Alek wrote: »
    Now, this is simply bat shoite crazy.
    Sounds like a challenge for you then Alek.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Beasty wrote: »
    Sounds like a challenge for you then Alek.....

What is the extent of the challenge - equal it, or beat it by a couple of Everests?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What is the extent of the challenge - equal it, or beat it by a couple of Everests?
    Well what's the point in equalling a World record? - think higher Alek!

• Advertisement

if you think about it, a unicycle has the same gear ratio as running, say, 34t-34t on a singlespeed. that seems to be the next logical step. though no handlebars to mount the GPS unit to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement