Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Count me out lads! I'm off to new horizons now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Alek wrote: »
    Count me out lads! I'm off to new horizons now :D

You are cycling to the Moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Out for a wander this evening and while being bet into kerbs by cars in the bus/cycle lane I got to musing as to why taxis are allowed to use the cycle lanes?

I mean why does a taxi with one passenger or even no passenger get priority over a private car?
    Primarily there's the commercial aspect to it. Why would you take a taxi if it's no faster than driving yourself?

End result is that you have more private vehicle use, and therefore more congestion.

Taxis do serve a valuable public service for the elderly and disabled, so a reduction in taxis because people didn't use them, would be difficult on those groups.

But you also have to remember that one big problem with private vehicles is the fact that they sit idle 95% of the time. When someone gets where they want to go, the vehicle has to be left somewhere. And space is consumed doing basically nothing of value because there's a metal box lying in it waiting for its owner to come back. Fine out in the country where you've loads of space, but a disaster in the city.

So all transportation efforts should focus on making private vehicles the worst option for getting into urban areas. As a result, taxis are permitted to use bus lanes so that they present a superior option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You are cycling to the Moon?

By the moonlight at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

seamus wrote: »
    And space is consumed doing basically nothing of value because there's a metal box lying in it waiting for its owner to come back.

And it's private property being stored for free or very cheap on public roads…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've been going through chains abnormally quickly on my fixie (usually get only 2-3,000kms per chain). I thought it may have been due to lack of mudguards or, as some suggested, the 'even' gearing.

Derek Humphries diagnosed the problem this morning without even seeing the bike and it all makes sense now. I've been running a 1/8 chain on a 1/8 rear sprocket but I didn't realise my chain ring is 3/32. :o

The tiny unnoticeable lateral movement available on the chain ring is apparently causing the wear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean that's the physical width of the chain ring? just under 3mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Out at lunch saw some absolute *&^% of a cyclist heading onto the canal.

The reason he's *&^% you ask? Well, he was on his bike and enjoying himself while I'm on a desk chair now

you mean that's the physical width of the chain ring? just under 3mm?
    Should have been 4/32 (1/8) - whatever that is in mm.

Should have been 4/32 (1/8) - whatever that is in mm.

It's only 1/32 of an inch out. Gas how mechanical parts have such low tolerances

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's only 1/32 of an inch out. Gas how mechanical parts have such low tolerances
    just short of a millimetre, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Didnt want to open a new thread so said I would ask here.

This is my bike:

IMG_20170430_112850.jpg

The original bontrager wheels are in bad shape so I am going to buy these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/de/fulcrum-racing-7-lg-laufradsatz-2017/rp-prod126870

Its a 9 speed so from reading the wheels will fit, but now to the tyres, what are your opinions, all black, blue, red or grey sidewall? Im leaning towards these with red http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/de/continental-ultra-sport-ii-rennrad-reifen/rp-prod123549

And then last question is, I would like to buy new brake pads too for the new wheels. My bike is pretty old full ultegra, can anyone advise on brake pads please?

Many thanks!

Didnt want to open a new thread so said I would ask here.

This is my bike:

IMG_20170430_112850.jpg

The original bontrager wheels are in bad shape so I am going to buy these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/de/fulcrum-racing-7-lg-laufradsatz-2017/rp-prod126870

Its a 9 speed so from reading the wheels will fit, but now to the tyres, what are your opinions, all black, blue, red or grey sidewall? Im leaning towards these with red http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/de/continental-ultra-sport-ii-rennrad-reifen/rp-prod123549

And then last question is, I would like to buy new brake pads too for the new wheels. My bike is pretty old full ultegra, can anyone advise on brake pads please?

Many thanks!
    What colour is the frame?

Regarding brake pads, I presume your bike has the standard 55mm road pads.

Cant you see the picture?

Its grey and white, with segments of blue and red decals.

Thanks for the reply

Cant you see the picture?
    Apologies - I'm at work and most pictures are blocked but it doesn't tell me if it's blocked so I didn't know there was a pic!

Apologies - I'm at work and most pictures are blocked but it doesn't tell me if it's blocked so I didn't know there was a pic!

Ah cool, just in case no one else could see it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

One red one blue. It'd look class IMO.

nee wrote: »
    One red one blue. It'd look class IMO.
    Really? Or are you joking? I actually quite like the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'd be investing in some higher quality tyres if I were you. A set of those came on my Scott when I got it, and it only took half a year before they were shagged out. I've been training on the same set of Continental GP4000 IIs since November and I'm only thinking about replacing them now.

Miklos wrote: »
    I'd be investing in some higher quality tyres if I were you. A set of those came on my Scott when I got it, and it only took half a year before they were shagged out. I've been training on the same set of Continental GP4000 IIs since November and I'm only thinking about replacing them now.

I do very little miles to be honest. My bike is used for cycling about 7km over the border to Germany and back again once a week.

• Advertisement

Really? Or are you joking? I actually quite like the idea

No I'm actually serious! If I used tyres with coloured sidewalls there's no way I'd get two the same colour.
    You can't beat a bit of mismatching!

Miklos wrote: »

Rubino Pro's are good, not too pricey and colouredy!

No I'm actually serious! If I used tyres with coloured sidewalls there's no way I'd get two the same colour.
    I ordered one blue and one red anyway, sure fhuck it :pac:

I ordered one blue and one red anyway, sure fhuck it :pac:

LOVE IT!

Pics when they go on the bike!

Also just fyi - I have commuted on Ultra Sports at 50 psi average on a 16kg bike through Dublin city centre for the last 3 years with no bother, they're not as bad as people make out. Grippy enough in the wet too, soft and roll grand.

Also just fyi - I have commuted on Ultra Sports at 50 psi average on a 16kg bike through Dublin city centre for the last 3 years with no bother, they're not as bad as people make out. Grippy enough in the wet too, soft and roll grand.

Thanks for the heads up. The roads around here are pothole-less and I dont go cycling in the wet either (it doesnt rain here much).

Thank you for your input, I'll post a picture when they're on :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A bit????

You seem to thrive on "oddities"...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    A bit????

You seem to thrive on "oddities"...

The Beast is right, mixing colours is a big No No

Beast_Jim_Lee_art.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Yeah, 7000 km so far on the Ultra Sport on the front of my commuter, can't fault it.

• Advertisement

I can't even cope when my tyres don't have the same mileage never mind them being different colours. I'd burn my bike before I put odd coloured tyres on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement