Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They should just make school uniforms high viz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just saw a team Wiggins team bus parked at the Metro Hotel in Ballymun.

Any race here they'd be going to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They've been doing the high vis thing for primary school kids for years, we've a cupboard full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They've been doing the high vis thing for primary school kids for years, we've a cupboard full of them.

Seven years, I think they said.

That reminds me of the very slightly jokey bit RTÉ radio did a few days ago about lollipop ladies and men being trained to deal with motorists who wouldn't stop or shouted nasty things at them. "Stressed" motorists, as they put it. Once you first notice the one-sided empathising, you see it everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

So much cycling stuff I want to buy... stupid f%$king college fees stealing all my monies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Weepsie wrote: »
    Just listened to it myself. Absolutely awful stuff from the RSA there, doing lots without doing much at all

How is the RSA funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Points about Valencia.

1. The infrastructure is Amazing and protected (with a broken line of kerb stones) cycle lanes actually go places.

2. Drivers are amazingly considerate of others.

3. There are traffic lights (in select locations) That will turn red if you break the limit.

4. Motorway entrances are always ramps. You never continue onto a motorway.

5. On the downside you don't get the luxury of exploring that we have in Ireland it's always a race to beat the sun.

6. There are few enough infractions that it's actually feasible for the police to enforce them.

7. No close passes.

8. No aggro except where it's for your benefit i.e. if people are beeping or shouting it's because you're about to get yourself hurt (e.g. about to enter a motorway )

Highly recommended

Chuchote wrote: »
    How is the RSA funded?

I think it's either completely autonomous in budgetary terms now, or will be.

From 2014:
    Ms Murdock added only five per cent of the authority’s income came from State funding, with the remainder generated by the services it ran.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/road-safety-authority-defends-20m-cash-reserve-1.1838701

I think the largest income-generator among their services is the NCT.

This, I have read, may mean that it's in their financial best interests for as many people as possible to own a car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They also look after the issuing of driving licences through the NLDS don't they?

Another hint at its in their interests to have people driving

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

but they never picked up that gentleman,

They?!? The driver did not pick him up, despite, according to the article being on a relatively straight bit of road, at a speed that would have left time to react even if the pedestrian was only visible at 100m, enough at least to slow the car dramatically. There is no indication (from the article) that the driver slowed until after the collision.

Vehicular manslaughter and driving without due care and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Top 20 best cities in the world for cycling 2017:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/08/25/cycling-europe-best-cities-2017/

Needless to say Dublin isn't in there...

Edit: Dublin was in 9th place back in 2011

Weepsie wrote: »
    They also look after the issuing of driving licences through the NLDS don't they?

Another hint at its in their interests to have people driving

Yeah, they've taken over quite a few things.

I was mildly amused, after years of being indirectly contradicted by the RSA, to have them directly contradict me and "correct" my address the last time I applied for a driving licence. It went missing for a few weeks in the post.

Trying to plan my cycling and training around the Mcgregor victory and F1 this weekend..

Probably go out at 6am Sunday. Cycling the last stage of a charity cycle the week after next, Lahinch to Galway, considering cycling Galway to Dublin the following day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Top 20 best cities in the world for cycling 2017:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/08/25/cycling-europe-best-cities-2017/

Needless to say Dublin isn't in there...

Edit: Dublin was in 9th place back in 2011

How is there no Swiss cities? Basel is a dream for cyclists!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cycling home from work tonight through the Main Street in Lusk I met another cyclist with four flashing red lights on the front of his bike.

What is going on in these people's heads?

Cycling home from work tonight through the Main Street in Lusk I met another cyclist with four flashing red lights on the front of his bike.

Going on… and off… and on… and off…

I beeped at a guy cycling towards Dublin in a McNally jersey this evening at Blakes Cross thinking it was you.. obviously not :)

So I've roped my mate into meeting me in Galway in 2 weeks to cycle back to Dublin. We're budgeting 12 hours including food stops and being able to enjoy it at a relaxed pace. I'll have done Lahinch to Galway the day before. Bit of a glutton for punishment me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

EDIT: Sorted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Probably go out at 6am Sunday. Cycling the last stage of a charity cycle the week after next, Lahinch to Galway, considering cycling Galway to Dublin the following day

Lahinch to Galway is a fantastic route, assuming cliffs, Black head etc... tbh I'd be more tempted to take the same route in reverse and onto Ennis the following day for a train back up, maybe take in Corkscrew hill and some of the Burren back roads. Way nicer than the haul back up to Dublin. Need to get back to Clare sometime soon myself.

First tentative cycle today myself after the accident six weeks back. Shoulders still in bits, belly positively distended after the time away from cycling, weak as kitten and bike also needs some serious TLC. Still, onward and upwards, though mostly upwards from my gaff. Recovery from injury at 50 is a royal pain in the hole, so my best advise for those of you pushing middle age from the wrong side, try and keep the bike underneath you at all times with tyres firmly connect to the ground. For those of you who though my average speed in the 'tell us about your ride' thread were unusually slow, you aint seen nothin yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I wouldn't like to be the one to tell this guy to wear a helmet and hi-vis! :D..:pac:

jrspid.png

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to be the one to tell this guy to wear a helmet and hi-vis! :D..:pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y61qHFgTZW
    Well the double champ does what the f%€k he wants.

Sorry

Poor lad. Fingers crossed for him, but I have a horrible suspicion he's going to get the tripes bet out of him.

Yeah, poor Floyd certainly is going to take a beating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm rooting for McGregor. An Irish champion on a par with Sean Kelly so far in his career...

(And I'm a massive Kelly fan)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i truly, genuinely, could not care who 'wins' tonight.

i truly, genuinely, could not care who 'wins' tonight.

Maybe not but the treatment of Conor by the Irish media has been atrocious.
    Anyway I'll be watching, then out pedalling after, back for the F1 then out looking after my homeless pals. Long day will be long

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does anyone know if the gear shifting component of a STI shifter works completely independently of the braking component?

That is, can I remove the shifters and still have the brakes?

• Advertisement

well, one of the shifters is the brake - so i assume you mean removing the smaller lever?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement