Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Want:

Tern-GSD-cargo-bike-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

These Bosch motors are impressively strong. Not that you would probably want to do that, but going up Ticknock (20-odd kph average) with two kids was a breeze :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alek wrote: »
    These Bosch motors are impressively strong.
    the one pictured there is the performance one, which is more powerful than the bosch more commonly seen on bikes.

They tend to put the higher torque one on higher end bikes, which is unfortunate as it then proves very expensive.

I think many do not really consider/think about the power of the motors, many seem to think they are like motorbikes and will just breeze up a really steep hill -albeit at a slow speed. A better way to think of it is like a tandem bike, your motor/partner has to stop pedalling once you get over 25 km/hr, but that partner could be a frail old man or Chris Hoy.

the one pictured there is the performance one,

That's the one my wife has in her Cube Hybrid Pro that she recently used to pull kid's trailer (+2 kids and luggage) on a trip.

Superman legs is the closest description of what it offers. (up to 25kph)
    They tend to put the higher torque one on higher end bikes,

Its actually more useful on cargo or MTB bikes, I see no reason to use Performance version even on the highest end hybrid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

saw this while out walking the other day - hard to see on the link, but the path pictured is a cycle path on the near side of the line, and a footpath the far side. so they put the bin in the cycle path, necessitating the line between them having to swerve to accomodate it; but you'd expect the bin is there primarily for the benefit of pedestrians, so they have to cross into the cycle lane to use it.
    such a simple, trivial thing, such basic lack of attention to basic details.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3794392,-6.2746217,3a,48.6y,245.22h,87.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snD05RC2J8aZfc4fYj9a5Sw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

^^ I cycle on that, Griffith Avenue extension in that direction frequently and have never noticed that. Mostly as I always use the road. When they were building the school they also had the cycle path blocked off constantly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, the bike symbols are so badly worn off the path it's not easy to tell which side is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Definitely a chill in the air tonight, my nipples are in a bundle after 60k :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thought co2 cartridge in the inflator was empty so unscrewed. It was not empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

to be fair, the bike symbols are so badly worn off the path it's not easy to tell which side is which.

Similar-ish problems on the bike/walk path in Milltown Park between Dartry and Clonskeagh - the bike path's grass is gradually encroaching so that in places it's scarcely the width of the walking path. The gardeners mow the grass, but never take a spade and cut out the encroachment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Chuchote wrote: »
    Similar-ish problems on the bike/walk path in Milltown Park between Dartry and Clonskeagh - the bike path's grass is gradually encroaching so that in places it's scarcely the width of the walking path. The gardeners mow the grass, but never take a spade and cut out the encroachment.

You are always stopping randomly when out rambling on the bike. Why not bring the spade with you the next time and do some public service!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You are always stopping randomly when out rambling on the bike. Why not bring the spade with you the next time and do some public service!

Who says I stop? I cycle along that path, but I do look at it :cool:

Ten egrets on the Dodder today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Who says I stop

From one of your previous posts:

"we took a leisurely loop through Ringsend Park, across Tom Clarke, along the Liffey, stopped for a sit and to watch someone throwing a ball into the Grand Canal Dock for his dog"

So, I put it to you, that you do indeed, stop!

"we took a leisurely loop through Ringsend Park, across Tom Clarke, along the Liffey, stopped for a sit and to watch someone throwing a ball into the Grand Canal Dock for his dog"

Guilty as charged, sir! Indeed I stopped today to watch the swans and egrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I feed the pigeons, I sometimes feed the sparrows too.
    It gives me a sense of enormous wellbeing
    And then I'm happy for the rest of the day,
    safe in the knowledge there will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it.

:)

on several occasions, i have wondered if cyclists could provide useful feedback on animal population levels based on reporting what they see, which unfortunately would involve a lot of roadkill. there's been quite a lot recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm with Ferris Bueller on this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

21192297_864259443724489_1579282029473019874_n.jpg?oh=9b14658170cf6bc4cd17021f0d119af6&oe=5A571923

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

on several occasions, i have wondered if cyclists could provide useful feedback on animal population levels based on reporting what they see, which unfortunately would involve a lot of roadkill. there's been quite a lot recently.

You can report sightings on Biodiversity Ireland's website. I've done it before for red squirrels and other creatures.

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie

bugger, never thought of that. mainly hedgehogs and rabbits of late - though i did find a dead sparrowhawk outside the house a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Tenzor07 wrote: »

their is a want and push for this in Dublin, but the car park lobby and likes of BT keep opposing it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The cynic in me believes the first photo is photoshopped.
    manafana wrote: »
    their is a want and push for this in Dublin, but the car park lobby and likes of BT keep opposing it
    Which is funny because the car park lobby as a whole is probably quite small, so unless there are nice brown envelopes flying around. Despite being lower down on the finance spectrum than a typical BT shopper, I know alot of people who shop in there. None of whom I can think of who would drive in typically. I imagine most BT shoppers are LUAS users now and the rest who are not near the LUAS lines typically bus it (no proof whatsoever).

CramCycle wrote: »
    Which is funny because the car park lobby as a whole is probably quite small
    what lobby is bigger than them though? or can do the hand wavey 'THIS MANY JOBS' claims?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

what lobby is bigger than them though? or can do the hand wavey 'THIS MANY JOBS' claims?

I'd say almost any lobby group would have a superior claim in that regard compared to them. A few security guards, repair people for the ticket machines and other machines and the people who run it.

Interestingly, selling that property (or just changing their mind with what they wanted to do with it) and having them convert it into residential property would be far more beneficial to the economy, create more jobs, support more local businesses and so on.

Hell, considering the rental, I cannot imagine that despite the investment, they would not make more over time through rental over car parking.

I'd say almost any lobby group would have a superior claim in that regard compared to them.
    it's not about the validity of their claim, it's about who they can afford and who is best at arguing their point of view, unfortunately.

Fair play to the girl who continued her commute today not only on a flat tyre, but on a tyre that has unseated from the rim on both sides and was rolling OVER her canti brakes, flapping happily.

She refused any help or a spare tube, thats the proper cyclocross spirit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I'd say almost any lobby group would have a superior claim in that regard compared to them.
    it's not about the validity of their claim, it's about who they can afford and who is best at arguing their point of view, unfortunately.
    The car park lobby group is akin to the NRA in USA, they make alot of noise for their size and budget. BT itself seemed think its biggest clients drove in, then also they are attached to a car park itself, one on a street that shouldnt even have cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Alek wrote: »
    Fair play to the girl who continued her commute today not only on a flat tyre, but on a tyre that has unseated from the rim on both sides and was rolling OVER her canti brakes, flapping happily.

She refused any help or a spare tube, thats the proper cyclocross spirit!!!

Reminds me of a nice bike I was admiring parked up outside a store I was in yesterday, then I noticed the front tyres had banding around the sides. The brakes were set up so that they were clamping onto the tyre and not the rim.

• Advertisement

I would leave a note suggesting that riding this bike as it is may cause the rider to suddenly embrace the tarmac, or eternity, soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement