Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

We haven't heard much of Finian McGrath's opinions on cyclists round these parts in a while. I wonder what he's up to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    We haven't heard much of Finian McGrath's opinions on cyclists round these parts in a while. I wonder what he's up to.

He doesn't know what he is upto himself, between being strongly opposed to things, but also agreeing with the opposite position when someone tells him that he is being a bit of a wally, but then turning around and saying, while he supports it, he hasn't changed completely from his first position. My concerns for either the electorate or more likely the lack of reasonable alternatives in that area leads me to understand why we have issues in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Bringing his weight of experience and knowledge to the HPV vaccine "debate".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Call for "citizen database" on wildlife (damn, my environmentally conscious African neighbours presumably won't be able to send in notes)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/calling-citizen-scientists-to-save-nature-with-a-database-1.3193204#.Wa04NpERiNE.twitter

Ah yeah, I was just trying to be funny. It's instructive to see that someone who is a gut populist in one area will probably be a gut populist in another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anybody done Lahinch to Galway on the Wild Atlantic Way? I would love to have a look at it on Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Ah yeah, I was just trying to be funny. It's instructive to see that someone who is a gut populist in one area will probably be a gut populist in another.

Finian has never seen a bandwagon,that he didn't feel compelled to jump on!

He'll be looking for Leo Varadkar's birth certificate next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    Call for "citizen database" on wildlife (damn, my environmentally conscious African neighbours presumably won't be able to send in notes)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/calling-citizen-scientists-to-save-nature-with-a-database-1.3193204#.Wa04NpERiNE.twitter
    i tweeted at liam lysaght that if he wanted to cycle over dunes, a fat bike would be advisable. unfortunately, he had to take me seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

He'll be looking for Leo Varadkar's birth certificate next.
    Make Clontarf great again by (not) building a wall.

• Advertisement

God, I'd forgotten about his intervention in the sea wall business.

Did he also have a go at the seagulls awhile back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Anybody done Lahinch to Galway on the Wild Atlantic Way? I would love to have a look at it on Strava

Yeah but it'll look the same on strava as if you map it on any mapping software?

Lahinch Ballyvaughan hase some iconic sections, Ballyvaughan-Galway is a pretty meeeh with section of main road being horrible.

The roads giving access to Galway west, north and south are pretty nasty on a bike; pity as you get west of Spidall, south of Kinvara and north of Claregalway there is some fantastic cycling roads.

If it was me id leave car in Ballyvaughan visit father Ted and come back via Doolin and coast

CramCycle wrote: »

He's having a go at the flowers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That was Ned O'Sullivan I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fantastic spin, did Lahinch - Clarinbridge - Lahinch a few years back, didn't bother with the last few KM to Galway as was staying in Lahinch. Was going into the wind in the Galway direction which I think is the norm. If its very blowy, the cliffs of Moher can be unpleasant so I'd take the turn off after Bridgets well here.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Yeah but it'll look the same on strava as if you map it on any mapping software?

Lahinch Ballyvaughan hase some iconic sections, Ballyvaughan-Galway is a pretty meeeh with section of main road being horrible.

The roads giving access to Galway west, north and south are pretty nasty on a bike; pity as you get west of Spidall, south of Kinvara and north of Claregalway there is some fantastic cycling roads.

If it was me id leave car in Ballyvaughan visit father Ted and come back via Doolin and coast
    smacl wrote: »
    Fantastic spin, did Lahinch - Clarinbridge - Lahinch a few years back, didn't bother with the last few KM to Galway as was staying in Lahinch. Was going into the wind in the Galway direction which I think is the norm. If its very blowy, the cliffs of Moher can be unpleasant so I'd take the turn off after Bridgets well here.

Unfortunately I have no say on the route. It's the last stage of the cross Atlantic cycle.

Thanks for the info!

I will however listen to suggestions on routes from Galway to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Popped my pilates cherry yesterday. Awesome class but sweet baby Jesus I'm feeling it now.

I will be avoiding walking downstairs for the rest of today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where are you doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Unfortunately I have no say on the route. It's the last stage of the cross Atlantic cycle.

Thanks for the info!

I will however listen to suggestions on routes from Galway to Dublin

Galway to Dublin is grand on the old road. As ford2600 said around Galway is the problem main roads out are horrible. Have done Dublin to Athlone several times which is grand. Getting out onto the old N6 out of Galway is not too bad but the Coast roads and the N59 are seriously uncomfortable to cycle on solo with the amount of close passes. I've a cycled good bit of Clare up as far Kinavara but road to Galway is not nice and have never tried cycling it. N59 is the worst two hours cycling I ever did more close passes that day than in a year. Three times I had to move and put out my hand to to stop cars overtaking on top of hills and bends with oncoming cars.

Cycled the Wild Atlantic Way from Galway up to Ballina two years ago. Did to Spiddle early on a Sunday morning so wasn't to bad, really wouldn't like to do on a busy day though. I might brave them next year though considering taking two weeks to do a good stretch of the coast. I'll do the full length of it at some stage. Few other options being considered clubmate is thinking of cycling to Poland or if that doesn't pan out thinking of doing Santander to Roscoff solo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

where are you doing it?

In the gym in The Spencer. The physio I attended for a recent back problem runs a small lunchtime class in the studio there once a week.

Although I'm feeling it today, I can see the benefits the class will have in the long run. As with all of these things, I'm already asking myself why I didn't do it sooner!

Lahinch to Galway is part of a massive group, there are 12 people from my office alone and we are the last few thrown in. There will be outriders and vans with beacons etc.

Galway to Dublin is just me and my buddy. He's a nutter, his longest ride before Saturday was 60kms, he hadn't cycled in years and bought a road bike about 10 weeks ago. But he's a PT, eats broccoli and eggs for breakfast etc so chances are I'll be throwing a rope around him at some point and taking a tow :D

He's also tole me to eat 2800 calories today and tomorrow with loads of carbs, mostly through oats and wholegrain pasta. Nom nom nom....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

In the gym in The Spencer. The physio I attended for a recent back problem runs a small lunchtime class in the studio there once a week.

Although I'm feeling it today, I can see the benefits the class will have in the long run. As with all of these things, I'm already asking myself why I didn't do it sooner!

Pilates is awesome, makes you so strong. Need a good instructor though.
    Would you mind pming me deets of your class?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Are you a member of the Spencer, Rogue or can you do them separately. I'm in SV beside them, but the classes are not included in membership nor at times I can generally make.

What rubbish, its illegal to park there, fine them, you will find they won't be there again during Tram operating hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What rubbish, its illegal to park there, fine them, you will find they won't be there again during Tram operating hours.

"There is a job of work explaining" - bollocks there is.

Have a few tow trucks ready and they'll do the explaining for you.

The lack of enforcement of traffic laws drives me crazy sometimes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why the softly-softly approach? Putting helpful signs on peoples' cars. :rolleyes:

As Ray says, bring out a traffic warden and a couple of tow trucks on the first tram runs of the day and the illegal parking problem will go away quickly. It's all the same people parking in those spots every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RayCun wrote: »
    "There is a job of work explaining" - bollocks there is.
    +1,

Ignorance is no defense. The onus should be on the drivers to see if they can park in a certain space.

• Advertisement

Watch out for this in December:
    "Cyclists the big winners as Luas users delayed by illegal parking"

In fact, I think every headline can be improved by prepending "Cyclists the big winners as ...".

"Cyclists the big winners as gardaí exaggerated numbers by 300%"

"Cyclists the big winners as Paschal Donohoe rules out cut to VAT on building houses"

"Cyclists the big winners as leaked Brexit document reveals UK plan to restrict immigration"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement