Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Hey excuse for not doing so is pretty poor, what did she think he was going to do to her?

She complains that in her opinion Newstalk don't care about such complaints but she never followed hers up to find out.

Anyway the whole thing is a mess. I've often said on the radio thread that I believe Hook purposely winds people up with his opening monologue, and without having heard the piece, he may have pushed that too far this time. There'll be a concerted effort from everywhere now to have him fired.

May? May? No no, he went too far. Blaming the victim of rape for being raped is COMPLETELY AND ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE. No argument or discussion. His absolutely reprehensible. End of.

Chuchote wrote: »

Seriously? It wasn't ok, but this is far, far, far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

have we had this here before?

Shane Stokes on vocals and lead guitar.... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

nee wrote: »
    May? May? No no, he went too far. Blaming the victim of rape for being raped is COMPLETELY AND ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE. No argument or discussion. His absolutely reprehensible. End of.

No point in shouting at me is there when I said I never heard the piece, what do you hope to gain by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hey excuse for not doing so is pretty poor, what did she think he was going to do to her?

She complains that in her opinion Newstalk don't care about such complaints but she never followed hers up to find out.

The thing that you're doing there? That's victim blaming. I'm not sure you even realise you're doing it.
    Anyway the whole thing is a mess. I've often said on the radio thread that I believe Hook purposely winds people up with his opening monologue, and without having heard the piece, he may have pushed that too far this time. There'll be a concerted effort from everywhere now to have him fired.

His schtick seems too effortless to be pretence. The simplest and most likely explanation is that he holds privately the views he espouses.

Still, it's all political correctness gone mad, eh, when we can't even ask rape victims to have a bit of a think about their own behaviour without getting challenged about it by SJWs. I blame the sexy children.

I'm not victim blaming no matter how much you try twist it. I'm surprised you are even trying to go there.

And be snarky all you want with the political correctness sleight, it's misguided as there isn't a sniff of it from me. Being a smart ass trying to respond to a point that I never made is incredibly dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

tumblr_nve6r89Ow81rld84wo1_1280.jpg

****, I may have a faux indignation sulkus thingy, but inverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not victim blaming no matter how much you try twist it.
    When presented with an alleged incident you immediately moved the conversation away from the perpetrator of that incident (Hook) and on to the behaviour of the victim (Mac Cabe).

That's victim blaming, and is exactly the same line of argument that Hook pursued in the rape item.

No, I didn't. I think you may be confused as to what victim blaming means

I never implied it was her own fault. I had an issue with her not following through with her complaint which ultimately may have enabled Hook to continue with his poor behaviour.

The potential of meeting someone who made sexist comments I don't believe should have stopped her. I know people who've been in her position in the workplace.

Now had I said she shouldn't have worn that particular low cut top that day allowing Hook to see a bra strap to stir up his interest then you may have a point .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There'll be a concerted effort from everywhere now to have him fired.

People have the right to an opinion.
    No one has the right to a pulpit.
    Why should we have to listen to him?

There are people who express dickish opinions because they believe them.
    There are people who express dickish opinions because they'll say anything for attention.
    They're both dicks.

• Advertisement

I agree on your broader points.

But I can't help feel that it's long been an editorial decision to steer his show the way it's gone with his divisive rants when you contrast it to his previous drive time show.

So he has been given a pulpit and has a right to it as long as he's being paid to do so. I've long stopped taking his stance on anything seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

People do hold dickish opinions or maybe even intolerant opinions. The question is whether a tolerant society should tolerate intolerant opinions.
    There is a tendency nowadays to try and shut down any challenging argument shch as those raised by Hook this week (& lets face it for most if his broadcasting career). However I personally subscribe to the philosophy of Popper and that is that a tolerant society should protect tolerance by showing intolerance to intolerant viewpoints.
    I do not believe that Hook is in any way a challenging contrarian but merely an misanthropic sexist. Unfortunately I cant imagine that Newstalk care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I agree on your broader points.

But I can't help feel that it's long been an editorial decision to steer his show the way it's gone with his divisive rants when you contrast it to his previous drive time show.

Some people claim that this is his true feelings come out, others claim that behind the scenes he's a gent and different to his radio persona.

If you're willing to attack people for your personal gain you're not a good person regardless of how you behave in other circumstances

I'm not defending the guy, I regularly think you ****ing eejit Hook when I hear him on different topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Why do we bother arguing? Humans have 3 years to utterly change our industries or climate change will become irrevocable, leading to what used to be called a nuclear winter, which the human race will not survive. Humans aren't going to make that change. We are now, effectively, extinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Chuchote wrote: »
    Why do we bother arguing? Humans have 3 years to utterly change our industries or climate change will become irrevocable, leading to what used to be called a nuclear winter, which the human race will not survive. Humans aren't going to make that change. We are now, effectively, extinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think
    Enjoy yourself, we're living on the brink
    Enjoy yourself, and watch our chances sink
    Enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself, we are the Missing Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jaysis, got a little heavy in here. None of you even pay road tax

After my escapades on the bike the last couple of weeks I had planned to do a short spin today, maybe 30kms to just loosen up. Unfortunately my dog has the runs all night and I'm letting him out and cleaning up liquid poo since 2am.

2 of our neighbours dogs had the same thing this week so I'm not too worried yet but needless to say I'm far too exhausted to even look at the bike which would need a clean and lube before I go given the last 350kms were in mostly pissing rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Jaysis, got a little heavy in here. None of you even pay road tax

It was much more relevant and engaging than whether your dog had diarrhoea or not.

• Advertisement

It was much more relevant and engaging than whether your dog had diarrhoea or not.

My dog stopped me getting out on the bike and that's what I was talking about. But I do apologise for talking about cycling in the cycling forum. I'll refrain in future

My dog stopped me getting out on the bike and that's what I was talking about. But I do apologise for talking about cycling in the cycling forum. I'll refrain in future

It's off topic discussion. So my point is that the "hot and heavy" stuff isn't necessarily a fault in the thread. I think it's relevant. Post whatever you want, just don't think it's right that you criticise previous discussions. Obviously that's what I'm doing now so whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

always a first time - 50km in the mizzle today, and now i've a fierce* case of chafed nipples.

*not sure how bad a case it is in the grand scheme of things, given i've no benchmark to work against, but 'fierce' works for me.

It's off topic discussion. So my point is that the "hot and heavy" stuff isn't necessarily a fault in the thread. I think it's relevant. Post whatever you want, just don't think it's right that you criticise previous discussions. Obviously that's what I'm doing now so whatever.

There was no criticism in my post, and clearly jest given the road tax jibe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, i took that post as just being a joke. a good one too.

Today I learned "mizzle" is actually a thing and not a typo.

i always just assumed it was a blend of mist and drizzle, but it has a different history:
    " Origin and Etymology of mizzle

Middle English misellen; akin to Dutch dialect mizzelen to drizzle, Middle Dutch mist fog, mist"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mizzle is a perfection description of most of today. There was a dampness in the air, but I don't recall being rained on for more than 30 minutes in the close to 4 hours I was out and I was wiping the glasses a fair bit

yep, i took that post as just being a joke. a good one too.

Yes. It was a classic.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Mizzle is a perfection description of most of today. There was a dampness in the air, but I don't recall being rained on for more than 30 minutes in the close to 4 hours I was out and I was wiping the glasses a fair bit
    one of those days of being in the right place at the right time - i found myself cycling through rain a good bit, but it was very 'sheety'; cycling in the wet for a kilometre or two, then in the dry for another km, then back in the wet, repeat ad nauseam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement