Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

CramCycle wrote: »
    Despair away, it is victim blaming. if you cannot understand why a victim of certain crimes or behaviour are uncomfortable coming forward, then I suggest you come at it from a different perspective or maybe think of a different behaviour. Imagine it was a gun crime outside your door and the perpetrator knows if there was a witness, it would have to be you, can you understand why someone might not come forward. Maybe a doctor acted inappropriately but as far as you know, the waiting lists for your illness are really long if you go elsewhere or the reputation of others in the field leave you feeling that despite the behaviour, your best hope for a cure is sticking with that doctor. Maybe you are in a field where the circle of people involved is very small and there would be a fear that a complaint would be met with disbelief and shunning.

Victim blaming is very emotive to throw around as a one line answer.
    In the ideal world some great overarching authority comes in and spirits away the offender but unfortunately the reality is it often takes a personal sacrifice to put a stop to something. Whether it's being the person who alerts the Guards to the local drug dealer or being the one who spoke out when the Jews and the Gypsies were taken away, being part of society entails responsibility.
    To clarify, I'm talking about the woman who said Hook acted inappropriately towards her, not Hooks comments nor the case that they related to.

I don't like confrontation. I don't know whether I've been in a situation analogous to that in which Rosemary MacCabe found herself, but I could imagine not pursuing a complaint once it becomes clear that management wasn't talking it seriously, especially when it was just words, albeit breathtakingly rude and creepy words.

I'm glad that she's having an opportunity to kick him while he's down.
    (Assuming he said those things, and I'm very much assuming he said them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Chuchote wrote: »
    100% he has been insulting various groups to simliar level often cyclists or lesser road users, often particular sections of female society, but now with similarly insulting comments he gets the long over due reaction. (Rape is kind of tabo at moment compared to other subjects, you see this on comedy circuit, most jokes are laughed at but rape ones less so)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

manafana wrote: »
    100% he has been insulting various groups to simliar level often cyclists or lesser road users, often particular sections of female society, but now with similarly insulting comments he gets the long over due reaction. (Rape is kind of tabo at moment compared to other subjects, you see this on comedy circuit, most jokes are laughed at but rape ones less so)

You could say he 'did a Myers' on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Apparently a prerecorded apology was played at the start of his show. Many years ago when I worked mostly on the road I listened to Newstalk, Moncrief, Hook and Off The Ball and I enjoyed it, Hook was always a pretentious arse but in recent years he has gotten so much worse. His comments last week and what is coming out now though is just outrageous.
    I was never bothered by the anti-cyclist stuff and I never am by the stuff in the media, I just get on my bike an pedal, but this man needs to have his platform removed immediately

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Newstalk has effectively quarantined off all the major broadcasters I can't listen to: Hook, Williams, Kenny. It's the equivalent of our Helmet Mega-thread.

(Apart from Seán Moncrieff, who I do listen to on occasion.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hook - could tolerate as a rugby pundit as he was comical for a person so involved to know so little, and I would not be very well read on the subject.
    Williams - trailer trash opinion column writer who was let indulge his own belief that he was somehow as important as the story. One of the first signs in Ireland that journalism in Ireland was taking a nose dive was when papers and television shows referred to him sincerely as a journalist.
    Kenny - I really liked his political shows when i was younger and he is actually great to watch live, really well read on any subject on those shows. Alas mid morning lite radio does not suit him and may damage his ability to get another decent job ever again. I imagine he is in Newstalk until retirement now.

SeMoncrieff - I quite enjoy, I don't always like his show or the topic but considering the range of people and he gives them all a fair turn, it's quite enjoyable. Movies and booze is always interesting as well.

I think I just never catch Kenny on a good day. His forays into climate-science FUD are a deal-breaker for me too, though they're probably a small part of his output.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

http://www.thejournal.ie/newstalk-staff-letter-george-hook-3593884-Sep2017/?utm_source=facebook_short

i wonder why he hasn't chosen to fall on his sword; though he's a famously bad (and self confessedly so - to the point of being unethical) businessman. maybe he hasn't managed his money well.

Not a great sign when your colleagues write a letter like that -- either for your future or how you've been in the past. None of the usual bits referencing with regret the positive qualities of the transgressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i dont get the listener numbers for hook i turned off newstalk when he went to teatime and turned off the rugby when he was analysing, so how he has a job at all is beyond me

http://www.thejournal.ie/newstalk-staff-letter-george-hook-3593884-Sep2017/?utm_source=facebook_short

i wonder why he hasn't chosen to fall on his sword; though he's a famously bad (and self confessedly so - to the point of being unethical) businessman. maybe he hasn't managed his money well.

I wouldn't day he has a massive amount tucked away. He's probably on about 70k now and was broke 15/20 years ago so not a lot of time to build a nest egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I wouldn't day he has a massive amount tucked away. He's probably on about 70k now and was broke 15/20 years ago so not a lot of time to build a nest egg.

Documents recently filed by George Hook’s firm, Foxrock Communications Ltd for the voluntary wind-up of his firm show that the company had a bank balance of €793,274 on Oct 31 last

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/duffy-and-hook-notch-up-hefty-balances-256190.html

From 2014

ford2600 wrote: »
    Documents recently filed by George Hook’s firm, Foxrock Communications Ltd for the voluntary wind-up of his firm show that the company had a bank balance of €793,274 on Oct 31 last

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/duffy-and-hook-notch-up-hefty-balances-256190.html

From 2014

Didn't expect that at all. He obviously got better financial advise in later years

maybe he got a HSE grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Great Dublin Bike Ride have announced the medal design.

Non racing medals FTW. Cue outrage :pac:

image.jpg

(it is a nice medal in fairness)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Lumen wrote: »
    The Great Dublin Bike Ride have announced the medal design.

Non racing medals FTW. Cue outrage :pac:
    Snup[/IMG]

(it is a nice medal in fairness)

Medals get a bit pointless after a while but it's certainly an improvement on the school sports day medal from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Medals get a bit pointless after a while but it's certainly an improvement on the school sports day medal from last year.

Having thought the beer bottle l'Eroica finisher medal at least had a purpose (as well as being my first event medal in quite a while), I now have 3 beer bottle opener medals and would consider suggesting that events start consider other options.

• Advertisement

Idleater wrote: »
    Having thought the beer bottle l'Eroica finisher medal at least had a purpose (as well as being my first event medal in quite a while), I now have 3 beer bottle opener medals and would consider suggesting that events start consider other options.

Trolley token medals 😉

had to drive in rush hour traffic this morning (unplanned trip to the vet), and i can possibly understand motorist's rage. it's not good for the soul.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

had to drive in rush hour traffic this morning (unplanned trip to the vet), and i can possibly understand motorist's rage. it's not good for the soul.

If you were on the Ballymun road, I don't blame you. Awful traffic (which I happily pedaled by)

heading north though, past the airport to ashbourne - there was an accident on the M50 northbound so i suspect there were lots of people bailing from the M50 and trying alternate routes. i wouldn't mind, only it wasn't even that bad. just the sitting there for minutes at a time not moving when you're in a bit of a hurry.

fun morning. a big blood lump on the cat's leg burst during the night. the kitchen was like a murder scene.

After finding out the number of Boardsies working in close proximity to me I'm wondering if we need to add sinister hooded robes to the next Kit order.

so... where do you work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

so... where do you work?
    "sinister hooded robes", the Death Star?

"sinister hooded robes", the Death Star?

Maybe I work in a quaint village that's maybe a little bit too perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

What Boardsies need are these nameplates as seen on LEL for members of another forum.

• Advertisement

Maybe I work in a quaint village that's maybe a little bit too perfect
    Are you in the NWA?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement