Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Are you in the NWA?
    # Straight outta Compton, crazy mother****er named rollingscone... #

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean
    # Straight on my Brompton, crazy mother****er named rollingscone... #

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/907942425586536448

What a helpful fellow!

(Guess George would join the Sandford NWA.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Sadly another cyclist lost on our roads. Tractor and trailer in Cork. https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0913/904441-cork-rta/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

New working hours mean that my commute home takes place now anywhere between 12- 1pm rather than 4-5pm.
    I have to say I find it more challenging than if I was leaving later! Along with all of the delivery vans parked up along Aungier St/Wexford St/ Camden St, are the zombified pedestrians who maybe ravenous with lunchtime hunger seem to be much more erratic in their behaviour than when going home, strolling out without looking, plonking themselves in the bike lane while waiting to cross, popping out from behind said parked vans etc.

Then as I get into Ranelagh I seem to be hitting some of the early school pickup traffic with the yummies in their tractors doing whatever they wish on the road! One of the local secondary schools around there must have a half day one of the days as I have also had to contend with hoards of teenage boys cycling in packs, dropping on and off pavements, breaking lights and just generally being absolute d*cks when it comes to their road behaviour.

At least my 7am commute is relatively quiet *touch wood*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone has been juking the stats.
    Frontline gardaí claim senior management wanted to collect useless data to improve their chances of promotion.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/frontline-garda%C3%AD-blame-senior-officers-for-breath-test-debacle-1.3221208

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Pretty much the same as every business I've worked in. Meetings that should be emails and meetings about the meetings that should have been emails and capturing ridiculous customer data that will never be used and having an IT team and business analysts making this useless data readable

there's an amusing debate on drivetime at the moment; a representative from the GRA is on.
    'the rank and file did not falsify the figures'
    'the rank and file only falsified the figures under pressure from the management'

'but that means they falsified the figures?'

'rank and file members did not falsify figures, they elevated the figures. the falsification happened at management level'.

repeat ad nauseam.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

After finding out the number of Boardsies working in close proximity to me I'm wondering if we need to add sinister hooded robes to the next Kit order.
    Only discovered recently that a chap in the next office to me is a Mod on Boards.ie (albeit on a forum I'd never have any reason to visit).

We've been working in the same location for years and it only came to light when he happened to spot one of my Boards.ie jerseys one day and was puzzled! He had no knowledge of the Cycling Forum or the shenanigans associated with it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Pretty much the same as every business I've worked in. Meetings that should be emails and meetings about the meetings that should have been emails ...
    At least you had meetings about meetings. I've had to compile minutes of meetings that may have not taken place! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Doc07

Haha, Superindendent Rawls from 'the Wire' would be proud.

http://www.thejournal.ie/newstalk-staff-letter-george-hook-3593884-Sep2017/?utm_source=facebook_short

i wonder why he hasn't chosen to fall on his sword; though he's a famously bad (and self confessedly so - to the point of being unethical) businessman. maybe he hasn't managed his money well.
    well, newstalk were quick out of the blocks with their action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Only discovered recently that a chap in the next office to me is a Mod on Boards.ie (albeit on a forum I'd never have any reason to visit).

We've been working in the same location for years and it only came to light when he happened to spot one of my Boards.ie jerseys one day and was puzzled! He had no knowledge of the Cycling Forum or the shenanigans associated with it! :D

SHEEEEENAAAANIGANS!!!!

Probably stale news by now, but Tesco pulled sponsorship on Hook last night, and he was suspended after that.

It's pretty awful that people on Twitter wish a loss of income on anyone.

https://twitter.com/ghook/status/865159689503481857

Oh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What disappoints me most about George Hook is that he could have easily extracted himself from this (and all the other controversies his created) by simply repeating the magic words that absolve you of all responsibility for your remarks: "Relax, I was only having a bit of banter".

What disappoints me most about George Hook is that he could have easily extracted himself from this (and all the other controversies his created) by simply repeating the magic words that absolve you of all responsibility for your remarks: "Relax, I was only having a bit of banter".

I've long held that in Ireland you could be absolved of murdering an entire village just by complaining "Ah shure it was only a bit of craic, we had drink taken"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I've long held that in Ireland you could be absolved of murdering an entire village just by complaining "Ah shure it was only a bit of craic, we had drink taken"

"Ah shure, no real harm done. Don't do it again ye scallywag!"

-- Judge

"Put €200 in the Poor Box on the way out and we'll say no more about it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

He'll be back after 4 days. Its probably a bone thrown to the publicity seeking, bandwagon jumping advertisers and the social media lynch mob.

• Advertisement

It's a reaction to the advertisers, yeah. He was suspended after a second major sponsor withdrew.

Anyway, I'm calling for him to be executed for this. Why not? It's all a bit of harmless fun. He'd understand.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

He should have got the chair!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    He'll be back after 4 days. Its probably a bone thrown to the publicity seeking, bandwagon jumping advertisers and the social media lynch mob.

perhaps you don't know what a lynch mob is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I find the numbers that have come out in support of him more disturbing than anything else tbh.

I felt compelled to write this in response to the mansplainations of "free speech" on the Facebook comments for Kitty Holland's IMHO misguided arguments against firing Poor Auld George:
    Newstalk isn't structured to allow discussion.

Poor Auld George bellowing what ever putrid nonsense comes to his limited imagination in a situation where he holds an overwhelming advantage is not free speech it's propaganda.

If I come to someone's house with a baseball bat and lecture them on my superiority it's not free speech. It doesn't matter if the ghost of Nelson Mandela spoke in the same house earlier that day.

Freedom of speech is not freedom to deceive, damage or dictate.

Like poor Auld George people who hold all the cards are quick to demand freedom of speech but what they really mean is freedom from resistance, freedom from their victims standing up for themselves.

It came off surprisingly lucid considering how angry I felt at the commentary about how criticising Hooky was the end of democracy.

I wonder what size bra he takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I wonder what size bra he takes.

I think that comment explains why 20 work colleagues signed a petition more so that what he said on air last Friday. Nasty and creepy from a position of power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

It is interesting, but hardly disturbing (unless you're easily disturbed )

Never would have had much time for him before this...but talk about a kicking when you're down, after he offered a sincere apology.

He's a conservative commentator. There's nothing wrong with that. The left leaning media and commentators have shown more intolerance than anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    He's a conservative commentator. There's nothing wrong with that.

So blaming rape victims is a conservative value then? Interesting.
    Harassing women? That too?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    So blaming rape victims is a conservative value then? Interesting.
    Harassing women? That too?

He's a salesman for convenient fantasies. He's not commenting on anything he's making it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement