Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

i find the whole 'free speech' part of the debate interesting. he's literally paid to voice his opinions, and he's not entitled to keep a job if his opinions are substandard. i'm not entitled to keep my job if i'm doing it badly.
    it's not a free speech issue.

In particular, he's not entitled to keep a job if his opinions lose revenue instead of bringing it in. Whether he comes back after suspension will hinge mostly on what Newstalk think the advertisers will make of it, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Listened to the right hook today. It was during a piece on religion and the COI. Quite interesting and well balanced. Enjoyed it.

Hook's Twitter account deleted now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

donald clarke's column on the back page of the weekend section of the IT is usually entertaining - he has a pop at hook in today's one:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/lord-hook-hook-voice-of-the-permanently-offended-1.3219636

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Had a harrowing couple of days. While inquiring after the wellbeing of a work colleague when I noticed they "weren't themselves", they confided in me that they were considering taking their own life. This is someone who would be a bit of a joker and I nearly missed the seriousness of it thinking it was just a bad joke. Not so on this occasion. This is someone who has a partner and a strong circle of family and friends, but still had managed to get to this point.

I intervened and thankfully I can report that they are now getting the professional support they need and are hopefully on a road to being in a better place. I'll be honest though, the experience has shook me to my core.

I know this is the cycling OT thread and this post is uncharacteristically serious for me, but the reason I am posting this is just to urge people to check in with family, friends or colleagues if you think something is amiss and for god's sake don't ignore any potential signs. You never know, you might be the one that makes the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

nee wrote: »

I am absolutely required to hate you now.

Also, burn that saddle, or did they mount him directly to the seat post?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I am absolutely required to hate you now.

Also, burn that saddle, or did they mount him directly to the seat post?

I can't think about it.
    It's the smile, the smile is the worst bit 😩

Interesting idea and series. Ian Hutchinson's one's pretty incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the rediscovery centre in ballymun, who run a scheme a bit like rothar, have 25% off all bikes for the next week.
    it's where i bought my single speed a few weeks ago, and i think a friend just bought one there today too.

https://www.facebook.com/RediscoveryCentre/photos/a.224457550951089.56893.114424785287700/1559698297427001/?type=3

my friend popped around this evening; couldn't believe his luck, got an 18 speed raleigh, probably 10 years old, in perfect nick and recently serviced in the rediscovery centre, for 90 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

my friend popped around this evening; couldn't believe his luck, got an 18 speed raleigh, probably 10 years old, in perfect nick and recently serviced in the rediscovery centre, for 90 quid.

What's the rediscovery centre?

RayCun wrote: »
    And clearly the market has decided that there are consequences for that kind of presentation. You don't have to have a job on national radio.

It's always funny how quickly people can go from

"I'm a no-holds-barred truth-teller, puncturing your PC pretensions, and I don't care if you're offended - you can suck it up, snowflake!"

to

"What do you mean, you were offended and now you're doing something about it? That's not fair! "

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/909330403051425792

Chuchote wrote: »
    What's the rediscovery centre?
    http://www.rediscoverycentre.ie/about-us/

there's a nice cafe there too.

Sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

My car has broken down and I'm now seriously considering not replacing it. I used it for about 1000km a year as opposed to cycling 14000km. Maybe an ebike is the way to go for days when I don't feel like cycling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Our car broke down last week. A short time travelling on DB by my partner means our car has been fixed ASAP. I don't mind DB but my partner doesn't know the unwritten rules about where to sit etc.

An electric bike would have been a good suggestion but they are just not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

CramCycle wrote: »
    Our car broke down last week. A short time travelling on DB by my partner means our car has been fixed ASAP. I don't mind DB but my partner doesn't know the unwritten rules about where to sit etc.

An electric bike would have been a good suggestion but they are just not there yet.

Eh, what? On the saddle, surely? Or is there something that I also don't know?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

There's unwritten rules about where to sit? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

There's unwritten rules about where to sit? :o

DB = Dublin Bike/Dublin Bus :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dublin Bus, apologies.

Unwritten rule, if you are on early and off later on a busy route, get upstairs, near the front/close to the stairs. You reduce the amount of sweaty people who crowd over you having not washed properly or with bad breath and it is never as packed.

My partner is apparently a snob and stupidly stayed down stairs even though she got on at the start of the route. Also refused my advice to get on 15 minutes earlier so they would miss the school kids and the people who pack in like sardines.

She is one of those people who will probably quit their job rather than use public transport. I think she is a fool but it is her extra two hours a day.

The ebike may work for good weather, but again, probably won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The right hand side on the upstairs of busses has more leg room than most other seats. Right behind the stair well the most. That's the seat I always aim for.

My partner is apparently a snob and stupidly stayed down stairs even though she got on at the start of the route.

Why is staying downstairs snobbish? :eek:

(The top front right is the best seat because you can see everything going on in the street and enjoy your scenic ride. Top front left is also good, except drivers get a sadistic pleasure from running into low branches and scaring the bejasus out of you if you've started reading.)

My car has broken down and I'm now seriously considering not replacing it. I used it for about 1000km a year as opposed to cycling 14000km. Maybe an ebike is the way to go for days when I don't feel like cycling.

If you don't need the car most days, GoCar might suit you. I only drive about 400km a year, so I just use that. If I have to drive outside Dublin I use Avis or someone like that.

If you drive so little, it would probably work out way cheaper per year to not have a car and rent instead. More expensive per trip, obviously.

I had GoCar for a while, but I think it would actually be cheaper to simply rent a car as needed (though GoCar is handy in that there's probably a car waiting locally).

What's not currently done much in Ireland is carpooling, which is huge in Europe. BlaBlaCar, which generally does long-distance covoiture, is now moving into short-journey sharing. BlaBlaCar is a website - the best-known of many - that lets you advertise the need for a lift or the offer of a seat, then arrange payment for petrol. Like AirBnB, people acquire reviews for their reliability, niceness, etc.

I used to rent cars with Avis to do journeys inside Dublin that were impractical on public transport -- usually travelling with wife and baby. Avis had a branch near me. It was more expensive than GoCar, because you couldn't rent for just a few hours. Also on Sundays I had to drop the car off to Dublin Airport and cycle back to Kilmainham from there, as the Kilmainham branch closed early on Sundays.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I used to rent cars with Avis to do journeys inside Dublin that were impractical on public transport -- usually travelling with wife and baby. Avis had a branch near me. It was more expensive than GoCar, because you couldn't rent for just a few hours. Also on Sundays I had to drop the car off to Dublin Airport and cycle back to Kilmainham from there, as the Kilmainham branch closed early on Sundays.

Yeah, but you don't have to pay Avis a monthly fee.

But it's only four euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

how do you mean "not there yet", technology? price?
    The ebike may work for good weather, but again, probably won't happen.
    I have the use of a car but do not bother, I especially hate driving in rain. With an ebike you do not even have to bother getting breathable expensive rain gear as you are no longer having to build up a sweat if you choose not to. You can get away with cheaper stuff, which unlike "breathable" stuff will not let in moisture during extreme rain (well it might get in poor stitching, gaps etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

What's up with the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I think the thread has the bug where it won't show the latest post again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement