Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Outside of the internet, I dont think I've ever encountered a hipster. What do they look like ?
    How do you know if you've encountered one if you don't know what they look like?

Here's a couple of examples for you:
    Budge3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Outside of the internet, I dont think I've ever encountered a hipster. What do they look like ?

There is a magical place called the George Bernard Shaw...and also Blackbird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Ah...well, one lot are shysters and the other must be hipsters. Not sure which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

There is a magical place called the George Bernard Shaw...and also Blackbird.

blackbird is grand, the bernard shaw is a sham

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

cdaly_ wrote: »
    The wheel will likely go out of true if a spoke got bent. Marks on the derailleur means your hanger is likely bent and could end up pushing the derailleur into the spokes at some later date. You'll want to get both of those sorted.

Chap from LBS gave the same diagnosis over the phone today when I told him what happened and the symptoms. He then came to my house and collected it when I was at work. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Chap from LBS gave the same diagnosis over the phone today when I told him what happened and the symptoms. He then came to my house and collected it when I was at work. :D

Make sure to tell him to take off the useless piece of plastic from your casette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Dürer took a snap.

365551.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Here's a guide....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Based on this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29

I'm broadly in favour of hipsters.

(I assume that the trend is pretty much over, once it's in the media as much as it is now.)

This was on Conan a few years ago.

216548.jpg
    HIPSTER COPS? and would you respect them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

No!
    This is Hipster Cop!
    1b03a0fc.jpg.757x975_q85.jpg

And to help people spot others Ladybird Books are published this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladybird-Book-Hipster-Books-Grown-Ups/dp/0718183592

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hipsterdom was pretty clear a few years ago, beginning in the States with 20-somethings in a vacuum of culture and style, and most importantly, finances. The originals should be praised for reintroducing the world to historical aesthetics and mindsets to some degree. They encouraged recycling and "upcycling" and made a lot fo things more interesting. The resurgence in steel bikes and fixed-gear bikes is very much thanks to them. But, as with many sub cultures (punk would be a prime example) it soon became a fashion statement for those trying to create an identity for themselves, a competition to be the "most individual", the most different to everyone else, eventually filling the gap left by emo in an out of control trainwreck of think rimmed glasses, sea faring tattoos, "all that is vintage is good" and mustaches until it reached its pinnacle in Ireland with a whole floor in Pennys.

Hipsterdom, now diluted, is a diseased parasite which latches itself to something you love, sucks all the pleasure from it and leaves an empty shell that represents nothing but irony (see hipster obsession with 80s electro-pop, wearing Black Metal t-shirts, track cycling, etc.)

At this stage, it's pretty much a title that is only attributed to men, a gender who have about as much in the way of stylishness as they did when they were 4 and their mothers dressed them. So we end up with what is essentially a mish mash of laziness and mundanity, like this:

s-HIPSTER-300x200.jpg

It does seem to be a male thing, as presented in the media. Apart from the "Sylvia Plath cardigans" mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

Appropriation of older fashions brings this from Ghost World to mind:
    Enid: You know, it's not like I'm some modern punk, d***head! It's obviously a 1977 original punk rock look, but I guess Johnny F***face over there is too stupid to realize it!

Rebecca: I didn't really get it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Apparently hipsters are old hat. I was informed recently that I was a Yuccie.

By someone working in banking.

It's funny how you get very fine gradation in personal identity until you reach the 35-120 demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

And then you're just old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Mod snip - advertising not permitted Dirk, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

12109053_972923116087125_4488013920742896861_n.jpg?oh=1d350e54bebb5b00733d81586da49c77&oe=56CE5A56

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It does seem to be a male thing, as presented in the media. Apart from the "Sylvia Plath cardigans" mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

Oh it's as much a female thing as well, it's just worn have more options when dressing! See men's check shirts, 501's, oversized 70's and 80's coats, the thick black glasses and brogues. There are many, many variations on it and I suppose hipsterism is less visible on women as we mix it up more, as there are more wardrobe choices available to them, and we naturally mix and match more as a result. But they're out there, just as much.

Actually it may be just the inability to grow a beard that makes hipster women hard to spot.

ETA: It's all in the fringe for ladies, geometric fringes. And the glasses. But fringes mostly!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

gadetra wrote: »
    Oh it's as much a female thing as well, it's just worn have more options when dressing!

Oh it's as much a female thing as well, it's just worn have more options when dressing! See men's check shirts, 501's, oversized 70's and 80's coats, the thick black glasses and brogues. There are many, many variations on it and I suppose hipsterism is less visible on women as we mix it up more, as there are more wardrobe choices available to them, and we naturally mix and match more as a result. But they're out there, just as much.

Actually it may be just the inability to grow a beard that makes hipster women hard to spot.

ETA: It's all in the fringe for ladies, geometric fringes. And the glasses. But fringes mostly!

This sounds like a confession...

This sounds like a confession...

Ha ha ha! Well I do have an old ten speed, I do track on a steel bike… :eek: but that's where it ends for me. My hair is too curly for fringes and my face too small for those big glasses. It was never meant to be :D

Ha ha ha! Well I do have an old ten speed, I do track on a steel bike…:eek:but that's where it ends for me. My hair is too curly for fringes and my face too small for those big glasses. It was never meant to be :D

Didn't you confess (on Boards) to wearing odd socks too?
    That's more than a bit hipsterish really...

Didn't you confess (on Boards) to wearing odd socks too?
    That's more than a bit hipsterish really...

Staunch wearer of what ever sock comes to hand of a morning, from my basket on unmatched socks! I have odd tights too...

Time for my fav dance track :)

So, being hip is still a good thing for the reasons Harry outlined. Its when you try to be hip and think that you are, but really arent, that you end up being a ' hipster ' . And a hipster can always claim they were just being ironic about being cool in the first place, thus evading criticism ( whilst getting on everyones nerves )

Is that right ?

I think it's when you lack the imagination to dress/think for yourself and adopt a uniform of clothes, music and tastes.

Hmm.Like a bank or an American multinational. :pac:

• Advertisement

Hmm.Like a bank or an American multinational. :pac:

An artisanal bank or American multinational :D

Ah poor hipsters, they get such a hard time. I have no beef with them, People be people and there are a lot worse they could be. It does annoy me that I can't live near town because of them though :mad: (although as an artist I suppose we kind of kick start the problem)

f5d9183e-bd3c-46be-869f-f19259221c88-1457x2040_zpsvyw8p833.jpeg
    ℅ Grayson Perry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement