Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Alek wrote: »
    Again, I would not call "damage" a few superficial scratches I got on them over the years ;)
    I have long given up trying to keep anything which I take out in public, in pristine condition. It's just not worth it. The amount of effort and heartache involved inevitably proves fruitless because stuff that gets taken out in public is going to get damaged. I keep them in great shape mechanically, it's just the non-functional stuff that I on't really care about.

Drives my wife crazy though because it means all sorts of scuffs and bumps and on the cars and I just shrug and say, "Yeah, whatever, it's just a piece of plastic".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

seamus wrote:
    I have long given up trying to keep anything which I take out in public, in pristine condition. It's just not worth it. The amount of effort and heartache involved inevitably proves fruitless because stuff that gets taken out in public is going to get damaged. I keep them in great shape mechanically, it's just the non-functional stuff that I on't really care about.

Im the same, especially since kids have arrived... :->

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Probably doesn't warrent a thread, not sure if anything new, but in case its of interest, Eco Eye on RTE1 is discussing cycling & walking etc infrastructure/issues

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Probably doesn't warrent a thread, not sure if anything new, but in case its of interest, Eco Eye on RTE1 is discussing cycling & walking etc infrastructure/issues

Very interesting discussion about urban planning with Lorainne D'Arcy from DIT. Lots of concepts like desire lines which people here would be familiar with but I've never seen discussed in mainstream media (except The Guardian)! Refreshing lack of helmet emphasis too even if hi-vis was ubiquitous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I missed it, but the word on Twitter (my bit of it anyway) seems very positive.

Helmet-related backlash seems likely maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I missed it, but the word on Twitter (my bit of it anyway) seems very positive.

Helmet-related backlash seems likely maybe.

The section where the presenter cycled down the quays captured a ton of bad behaviour from drivers and illustrated well what it's generally like. Her maneuver between two buses is not one I'd have made, though.

Must check it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ThisRegard wrote: »
    By not turning the bike upside down you're missing out on the best part, spinning the rear wheel really really fast, enjoying the hum of it and seeing how close you can get your fingers to the tyre before it takes a layer of skin off.
    I lost the tip off my finger when I was a toddler in a similar scenario.

That must have been very traumatic. Do you have any memory of it, or was it too early in life?

https://twitter.com/BicycleAdagio/status/950992347080286212

If true, Australia is even worse than I thought. Talk about buying into hostile framing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I lost the tip off my finger when I was a toddler in a similar scenario.

From the tyre or it popping into the spokes?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BicycleAdagio/status/950992347080286212

If true, Australia is even worse than I thought. Talk about buying into hostile framing.
    :eek: I surrender :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

From the tyre or it popping into the spokes?
    I stuck my finger into the spokes. Missing a couple of mm off my right index finger now, so it's not that obvious. Too young at the time to remember it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I stuck my finger into the spokes. Missing a couple of mm off my right index finger now, so it's not that obvious. Too young at the time to remember it now.

As men we go through life sticking things where we shouldn't. At least you learned the consequences early on in life :)

Ouch :( Sometimes inability to remember childhood details is a good thing :pac: Beats the time I decided to measure the temperature of my dinner with a mercury thermometer - still remember the disappointment of (luckily) not being allowed to then eat it after the inevitable toxic spillage, though :P
    As men we go through life sticking things where we shouldn't. At least you learned the consequences early on life :)
    :pac: (Though I managed the above without the influence of a Y chromosome)

As men we go through life sticking things where we shouldn't. At least you learned the consequences early on life :)
    Maybe I was lucky that as a toddler, I was not tall enough to risk other body parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bit of furore over this, but pretty epic victory celebration :pac:
    https://twitter.com/JulianDeanNZ/status/949888171990425600

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Anyone know the name or where you'd get those mobile pressure washer things? I seem to remember there being a non-plugged in one, that you pumped, but all googling of mobile pressure washers bring up ones you have to plug in. It's driving me a bit loopy.
    Unless such a thing doesn't actually exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Beaten by Vizzy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Aren't they just called manual pressure washers or sprayers, similar to what you can get for gardening.

Bikeradar seems to cover the spectrum
    https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/bike-cleaning/

That Karcher one is battery operated and I think it's a manually pumped one that's being looked for?

I can't wait to do this if I ever win a race in my club league.

Vizzy wrote: »

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for, but ideally for about a quarter of the price! And without a battery.
    Aren't they just called manual pressure washers or sprayers, similar to what you can get for gardening.

Bikeradar seems to cover the spectrum
    https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/bike-cleaning/

That Karcher one is battery operated and I think it's a manually pumped one that's being looked for?

Bingo! Thank you, this was amongst them: https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/bike-cleaning/product/review-marolex-auto-washer-12-11-44506/

Ah relieved! And soon to be washered. The bath can't take anymore mud...:eek:

That is basically a garden sprayer.
    Lidl/Aldi have them every time there are "garden specials" .

You can adjust the spray from very fine mist to a jet ( wont be very powerful though) but the last time I bought one they were about €10.
    Any garden centre will have them as well.

That is basically a garden sprayer.
    Lidl/Aldi have them every time there are "garden specials" .

You can adjust the spray from very fine mist to a jet ( wont be very powerful though) but the last time I bought one they were about €10.
    Any garden centre will have them as well.

Spot on thank you. I was thinking a knapsack sprayer might work either, but I thought they'd only have misty nozzles rather than 'washy' ones iykwim.
    At least I know what I can google now :o

nee wrote: »
    Spot on thank you. I was thinking a knapsack sprayer might work either, but I thought they'd only have misty nozzles rather than 'washy' ones iykwim.
    At least I know what I can google now :o

The normal garden sprayer will probably be about 5 litres (about half the size of the one in the link)but if you can wet the bike and use a brush you will get a lot of it done with 5 l. Plus, because it is so small and portable you can fill it again.

The normal garden sprayer will probably be about 5 litres (about half the size of the one in the link)but if you can wet the bike and use a brush you will get a lot of it done with 5 l. Plus, because it is so small and portable you can fill it again.

yeah might be the way to go. We use them down home on le farm as sprayers, and there's a good capacity in them, I might ask the father which ones he uses (€5 it's whatever the creamery in town sells :pac: He does ALL his shopping in there or the builders providers. If it's not in either of those places it can't be got :pac:). They're big, heavy, yellow and uncomfortable. Durable though.

If I find a comfy one I'll get two and he can get a present!

Thanks!

Is there a video?

Am I the only one who thinks this really disrespectful? I have zero time for that kind of bullshyte.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks this really disrespectful? I have zero time for that kind of bullshyte.

Snapshots are a terrible thing to rely on. reminds me of that "picture" of the Garda about to lace a protester in the head with his boot a few years ago. Video awhile later showed the Garda was running to get to the person and check on them.

Until I see the video, I am going to hold back. This said, if it is what it looks like, I'll still do it to everyone in my local league, they deserve it :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement