Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've seen the video, and it didn't change my opinion (It was in a GCN vid).

What I don't know is the context, maybe they're his best friends and it's a big joke, but it also happened at their nationals last year, not something I can get behind as an attitude at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can't find the GCN video, just a statement from the race directors and the rider saying its a snapshot image and that it was taken out of context/misrepresented/not what happened.

Has anyone got the link to the video?

CramCycle wrote: »
    I can't find the GCN video, just a statement from the race directors and the rider saying its a snapshot image and that it was taken out of context/misrepresented/not what happened.

Has anyone got the link to the video?

Found it here: https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/jason-christie-new-zealand-flip-bird-celebration/

It doesn't look like anything poor form here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is there a video?

here?
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11972788

my internet connection is currently late 80's type slow so it won't play for me to check it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Maybe they weren't working with him in the break?

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Maybe they weren't working with him in the break?

I only seen the first hand raise yesterday, yeah, he's a bit of a dick just before he goes off camera. Unless it was in direct response to something the other riders done or said to him, there is no excuse for it.

I think crossing the line first is enough of a middle finger if they were annoying him in the break.

This said, if I get the chance, I am going to do it to Daragh_ if I ever finish in front of him in a race :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

This said, if I get the chance, I am going to do it to Daragh_ if I ever finish in front of him in a race :eek:

This could be your year. I ate all the cheese and mince pies this christmas.
    313002d1458015829-stereotype-road-cyclist-family-guy-cyclist.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Still think it's a dick move, I can't think of a race I've ever competed in when that would have been necessary, even when there has been ample reason to swear and swearing :pac: And I'm a an advocate for swearing!

Unless it's all a big joke, I don't know the context so maybe it is, but it didn't look like that to me. The only reason I can see is if the person is an arsehole, or there is a horrible '**** you all I beat you losers' culture/attitude going on. Or a joke.

Or maybe I just don't get it. I have never won a race and though **** you to the people behind me, ever. I just can't even imagine the thought process behind it. When I win a race I think 'yeahie' or 'jaysus I can't believe it' or 'fcuk that was hard' or 'did I win?' or I'm just too fcuked to think anything and I slump into my bars and it takes a lap before I can breathe again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Maybe he took his inspiration from Mark Cavendish's infamous two fingers victory salute in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have to return my Stages unit for testing under warranty as it is eating 2032 cells at a rate of 1 a week.
    A disaster considering my training is power based, panic stations!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

dahat wrote: »
    I have to return my Stages unit for testing under warranty as it is eating 2032 cells at a rate of 1 a week.

aah, poor hon, tragic.

Comedy gold strikes again.

Got a new pair of SPD shoes and people were asking about them in work. The resounding comment from one person was the fear of falling. I explained that you just popped your ankle sideways and there you go. Once you are used to it, there is no risk. Cocky as hell, the big cheese, people like me do not simply "fall over".

So I roll upto a red light on the way home, thinking about track standing or unclipping. Then it finally happened. Its not that I couldn't unclip, or I made a mistake. I just simply forgot. I didn't even let go of the bars. I hit the ground and was lying down with both feet still clipped in, both hands on the handlebars, a bumped elbow and a bruised ego. I didn't even react, it all happened in slow motion, I knew it was happening, I simply done nothing, like I mentally shut down.

I hopped back up quicksmart and when the light went green I was off and took the nearest turn to hide my shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Eamonnator wrote: »
    aah, poor hon, tragic.

Xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Maybe he took his inspiration from Mark Cavendish's infamous two fingers victory salute in 2010.

he has no contract for 2018, by all accounts he is a hard man to manage so his talent is of no doubt, but teams not interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

dahat wrote: »

How many weeks have you been letting it eat them?

You sound like chris froome? the bike will still work without it, could work off blend of heart rate and cadence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Going back to the conversation on turning the bike upside down to work on it, I just watched a video of a man with no right arm and a stump on his left side change a puncture without turning his bike upside down or laying it down on the ground

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if someone can tell me how to stand a bike with full mudguards upright with one wheel off, at the side of the road, please share it.

if someone can tell me how to stand a bike with full mudguards upright with one wheel off, at the side of the road, please share it.

I wasn't having a go or anything, I've flipped mine on occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I find that if you have a metal fatigue crack in your front mudguard, it bends nicely out of the way. You just have to straighten it out afterwards so the wheel can turn...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Working on gear alignment when the bike is upside down isn't all that suitable, as the gears are never right when you turn it back the right way. But it's definitely ok for fixing punctures. Even when I'm at home, I find it easier than putting the bike in the work stand. Maybe I'm just used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I wasn't having a go or anything, I've flipped mine on occasion
    ah no, i didn't read that from your post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Going back to the conversation on turning the bike upside down to work on it, I just watched a video of a man with no right arm and a stump on his left side change a puncture without turning his bike upside down or laying it down on the ground

Neighbour of mine is a welder by trade and very busy. He operates a firewood processor and drives mini diggers/ tractors at weekends. He is missing his right forearm. I never seen anyone more capable with machinery, quick, competent, efficient.

Seemingly, he told his mother she could stay outside hospital room the day after accident if she was going to be crying.

Some people with severe disabilities are awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I guess, as said upthread, you lay the bike carefully on its non-drive side on the ground after you remove the wheel. (Which isn't what you're asking.)

The Sheldon Brown site has some opinions on the topic, between how to do it without turning the bike upside down, to why it's a terrible idea to work on your bike upside down.

I guess Sheldon himself never opined on the subject, as those were written by the guys who maintain the site, now Sheldon has gone on to the work shed in the sky.

In the case of my tourer, it doesn't have any gizmos or cabling protruding above the hoods. It's really not a big deal flipping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I normally hang mine on a gate/wall/fence/etc. by the bars.

last time it happened me, i was on a narrow footpath, nowt to hang the bike on, and would have blocked the path if i'd lain the bike on its side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Chop off an arm seems like a good start...

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Chop off an arm seems like a good start...

He's already started with the tip of his finger, sure what's the rest of the arm

He's already started with the tip of his finger, sure what's the rest of the arm

I hear they grow back after awhile

ford2600 wrote: »
    Neighbour of mine is a welder by trade and very busy. He operates a firewood processor and drives mini diggers/ tractors at weekends. He is missing his right forearm. I never seen anyone more capable with machinery, quick, competent, efficient.

Seemingly, he told his mother she could stay outside hospital room the day after accident if she was going to be crying.

Some people with severe disabilities are awesome

If you haven't heard about him, Billy Monger lost his legs last year racing in Formula 4, a few months later he walked the stretch of track on prosthetic legs and will be racing in Formula 3 this year. He's 18 years old. What some people can do in these situations is amazing

• Advertisement

I hear they grow back after awhile
    must run in the family - my mother lost the top of her index finger to a farm gate when she was 8. from the top joint up - and it grew back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement