Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

rubadub wrote: »
    Fcuking joggers still out on the cycletracks, skipping and jumping all over the place, couldn't risk going on the grass to dodge them.

Cycling through the blizzard on the way home yesterday evening in Clontarf, I came up behind some hardy females jogging 3-abreast on the cycle path. I slowed down, politely called out 'Excuse me, coming up on your left' and, as I passed at a sedate pace, one of them screamed at me 'This isn't a cycle path you know'................as they jogged over the painted white bicycle signs on the tarmac........... :rolleyes:

I just chuckled to myself and kept going. Figured I'd be pissing into the wind trying to reason that one out with her!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can someone please tell me if this spec list is good for about 1400euro??

Its in German but hopefully your chrome translate automatically.

https://www.morrison-bikes.de/bikes/e-bike/cree-2

Or if this is good for about 500euro?

https://siroop.ch/sport-freizeit/sale-sport/sale-bike-velo/morrison-trekkingbike-t-70-unisex-matt-black-28-03102489?rahmengroesse=xl-60-cm

One is an eMTB and the other is a regular commuting/trekking bike. They are not comparable in any way as far as I can tell. If you want an ebike, the MTB is the only one. If you want a non ebike, that tourer is well specced but shocks seem an unnecessary weight and pain in the ass but the rest of it looks grand and isn't bad if you can get it for 500euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Not worthy of a thread of its own so I thought I'd throw this post up in here.

Basically due to strict HR guidelines, I can't avail of a bike priced in excess of €1000 via my employees CTW scheme so I've had to cancel my order of Canyon Endurace CF. Don't have 2k to drop on a bike in one go. Probably 1.5k at a stretch. definitely want hydraulic disc brakes. If alu frame then Ultegra is the minimum groupset, if carbon frame then 105. So I've been scouring all the deals online and have narrowed it down to two bikes.

Rose Pro SL Disc (€1,450.95 delivered - no configuration)

VS

Ribble Sportive Racing Disc 105 Hydro SE
    (€1,364.00 delivered and allowance for configuration to handlebar, stem, cranks & optional upgrade to carbon seatpost)

There probably isn't much between them but would really welcome any thoughts before I pull the trigger soon!

could you buy a 1K bike through the CTW scheme and then use the money you're saving to upgrade the components yourself - seems mad not to use it at all especially if you're paying top rate tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

CramCycle wrote: »
    One is an eMTB and the other is a regular commuting/trekking bike. They are not comparable in any way as far as I can tell. If you want an ebike, the MTB is the only one. If you want a non ebike, that tourer is well specced but shocks seem an unnecessary weight and pain in the ass but the rest of it looks grand and isn't bad if you can get it for 500euro.

I dont need either but would buy if it was as good of a deal as I thought it might. It would serve as a secondary to my road bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can someone please tell me if this spec list is good for about 1400euro??

Its in German but hopefully your chrome translate automatically.

https://www.morrison-bikes.de/bikes/e-bike/cree-2

Or if this is good for about 500euro?

https://siroop.ch/sport-freizeit/sale-sport/sale-bike-velo/morrison-trekkingbike-t-70-unisex-matt-black-28-03102489?rahmengroesse=xl-60-cm
    I have a similar style of E MTB and love it. I do not MTBing just commuting, it is a cross country one and I swopped tyres for large road ones. My wheels are 27.5", traditional MTBs you see have 26", in your link you can pick 27.5 or 29. I really wanted more of a hybrid but none were available with the most powerful bosch motor. Your linked one has the powerful bosch.

I am up & down kerbs and stick to the horrible cycletracks. After I got it I was glad it was a MTB, as it will hopefully last longer with strong components etc. It has suspension which is nice at high speed and the inefficiency does not bother me -since the motor takes care of that. I would get a E MTB again, just with front suspension not the rear ones. It eats up any road, I see lads on road bikes in front of me darting about avoiding obstacles while I just glide over. Commuting on a normal MTB is a nightmare, on an E MTB its a joy. Anybody who I gave a go of it to has come off it grinning like a lunatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

ford2600 wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105825126&postcount=1333

@Enduro, who won this in record time in 2016 is currently leading again. About 70hrs on the go now with a few hours sleep on a mountain trail in winter...

Irish lady way out in front in ladies race also

What happened? He seemed to lead the race, now is shown as "retired" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Alek wrote: »
    What happened? He seemed to lead the race, now is shown as "retired" ?

Retired himself from what I could gather so as not to cause a safety issue. Conditions are supposed to be dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

buffalo wrote: »
    heh, it's the same along the canal for a stretch. Some evenings I consider flashing my light at the driver, but it's probably futile and possibly dangerous...

I was accosted on a railway platform in Birmingham by a staffer telling me to turn off my rear light. They were afraid it would be mistaken for a signal by the train drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

There was a chap who posted regularly on here back in the day (5+ years ago maybe?) who went on a big cycle, round Europe maybe? He rode with Orwell, loved really long rides and had a Litespeed Icon among other bikes, wore glasses and hap a mop of black curly hair. Anyone know who I'm talking about, was it Blorg?, and know where he is on his travels now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

el tel wrote: »
    There was a chap who posted regularly on here back in the day (5+ years ago maybe?) who went on a big cycle, round Europe maybe? He rode with Orwell, loved really long rides and had a Litespeed Icon among other bikes, wore glasses and hap a mop of black curly hair. Anyone know who I'm talking about, was it Blorg?, and know where he is on his travels now?

It was Blorg, no idea where he has gone. My last memory was that great shot where he was in the middle east, and as he smiled with some locals, it looked like someone was throwing a petrol bomb or some such in the background.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055943820

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Funny you should mention him as i joined the Boards club on Strava and noticed Blorg has only recently started logging his rides again. Think he is somewhere in SE Asia (Possibly Thailand).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Quite windy in the Netherlands today

https://gfycat.com/ForkedUnfinishedAmethystinepython

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Hey! I kept going until I got to Indonesia. I then decided I would settle down for a bit in Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand. 

Some really nice cycling here.

NKmB4Dp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

blorg wrote: »
    Hey! I kept going until I got to Indonesia. I then decided I would settle down for a bit in Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand.

Are you buddies with durianrider?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Good to hear from you Blorg, life is for living :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

velo.2010 wrote: »

Are you buddies with durianrider?
    I met him once. He wasn't impressed with my Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I met him once. He wasn't impressed with my Brooks.
    Ha! You were impressed by my Trek Madone back in 2009! How time flies... Best of luck.:)

You must have had some adventures on your travels blorg. Sure looks like an incredible spot you ended up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

NKmB4Dp.jpg

That's awesome. I'm glad I asked. Amazing trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I skied that very road last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

I read this article this morning and one passage left me absolutely stunned:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/clontarf-wall-what-exactly-can-you-see-from-a-moving-car-1.3360023

The following is from the article:

"The wall does not obscure the views of Dublin Bay for pedestrians and cyclists using the new path, and the section being reduced is not opposite any houses. However, the council warned if the wall was not lowered motorists would have restricted views of the sea."

Is this not exactly what's wrong with our road safety approach? Should the only view of concern to a motorist, and I'm one myself, not be the road and those around you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭buffalo

gmacww wrote: »
    I read this article this morning and one passage left me absolutely stunned:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/clontarf-wall-what-exactly-can-you-see-from-a-moving-car-1.3360023

The following is from the article:

"The wall does not obscure the views of Dublin Bay for pedestrians and cyclists using the new path, and the section being reduced is not opposite any houses. However, the council warned if the wall was not lowered motorists would have restricted views of the sea."

Is this not exactly what's wrong with our road safety approach? Should the only view of concern to a motorist, and I'm one myself, not be the road and those around you?

There's a whole thread over here --> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105879847#post105879847

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I’m in Spain for a week, and I’m walking around Altea today. A training group from Nippo Vini Fantini has just gone through, riders & a team car, with the traffic behind just sitting back. No horns, no gestures, no “look at those arseholes riding 4 abreast”. Just pleasantness.

Incidentally, I do have pictures to share of the respect cycling/cycling infrastructure is given, and the respect required of cyclists in return, but that can wait until I’m home next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

NKmB4Dp.jpg

Chiang Mia is a really beautiful part of the world.
    Spent a week there on my honeymoon.
    Then onto Koh Samui.
    Always vowed to return.

The Wanty Pro Continental team are in the hotel around the corner from my apartment in Benidorm. The (very under appreciated) mechanics were working on the bikes at the back of the car park this evening. Hopping the gate to have a poke around the pretty pretty bikes is allowed, right? (I didn’t, this time)

The Wanty Pro Continental team are in the hotel around the corner from my apartment in Benidorm. The (very under appreciated) mechanics were working on the bikes at the back of the car park this evening. Hopping the gate to have a poke around the pretty pretty bikes is allowed, right? (I didn’t, this time)

They ride Cube I think ? Yeah go have a look and report back ;)

They ride Cube I think ? Yeah go have a look and report back ;)

I went into the hotel for a drink this evening. They must have known because when I left this was parked almost within touching distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

College all day today, going home to tidy my shed and give the bike a mini service, big route tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Pedestrians and cyclists now account for nearly 50% of the street traffic in Dublin’s central traffic counts
    http://irishcycle.com/2018/01/22/pedestrians-and-cyclists-nearly-50-of-traffic-in-dublin-city-centre-counts/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement