Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

The Wanty Pro Continental team are in the hotel around the corner from my apartment in Benidorm. The (very under appreciated) mechanics were working on the bikes at the back of the car park this evening. Hopping the gate to have a poke around the pretty pretty bikes is allowed, right? (I didn’t, this time)

Benidorm eh, planning laws gone wild, the least wild thing about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Wasn't sure where to put this. One of the worst attempts at locking a bike I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I see this from time to time... some people are just extremely non-technically minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wasn't sure where to put this. One of the worst attempts at locking a bike I've ever seen.

I saw one like this below, well the post was higher than that, but has a nice wall to stand on to get the bike easily off.

1714014449_4b3761b85e.jpg

Here is the post in dalkey
    https://goo.gl/maps/y1LwdTtHSZ42

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I came out of the shop one day where I'd carefully locked bike to stand via the rear triangle and realised I'd missed any part of the bike in my locking...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I came out of the shop one day where I'd carefully locked bike to stand via the rear triangle and realised I'd missed any part of the bike in my locking...
    Hopefully any potential thief had also missed that fact. I'm hoping you're going to confirm the bike was still there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

cdaly_ wrote: »

I locked mine outside a coffee shop just recently and left the feckin key in the lock. Now it wasn't out of my eyeline the entire time but still I'd have been some sight trying to run after a potential thief in my cleats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't think I've ever neglected to lock the bike, but quite a few times I've come running back to retrieve the pannier I left on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw one like this below, well the post was higher than that, but has a nice wall to stand on to get the bike easily off.

1714014449_4b3761b85e.jpg

Here is the post in dalkey
    https://goo.gl/maps/y1LwdTtHSZ42

David Cameron did this once, didn't he?

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/david-cameron-has-bike-stolen-17700/

And people wonder how Brexit happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Beasty wrote: »
    Hopefully any potential thief had also missed that fact. I'm hoping you're going to confirm the bike was still there

T'was indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Now this is a suitable use for a hi-vis vest. (Stolen from You laugh, you lose).

https://asset-a.soupcdn.com/asset/13950/2669_a9de_900.jpeg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Seen a brand spanking new road bike locked like this in Dun Laoghaire, a single spoke in the quick release wheel locked with a Kryptonite to the stand *facepalm* :rolleyes:

I only hope they don't learn the hard way to lock them better :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I pass two bikes every day that look like solid commuters, tied with a cable lock to themselves. the people who use them are on shift so they are often there at quiet times. The mind boggles. They can literally carry them inside at these "off peak" times.

Just watching the racing in Argentina there, yet another country I've seen and added to my bucket list of places to go because of bike racing.

EDIT: Actually the roads they were riding on even though they were in the middle of nowhere today looked 1st rate. Anyone cycled that part of the world?

Oh just flicked over to RTE Paul Kimmage up next on Claire Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭buffalo

I need the car after work today so drove in this morning. Takes about the same amount of time, but the stress! Bumper to bumper on so many stretches, going nowhere. And the law-breaking! 500m of the N2 - 13 cars in the bus lane. Every left turn junction, cars queuing in the bus lane early. Red light breaking, yellow-box ignoring, cyclist-close passes and my favourite - taking a right turn onto a main road from the wrong side of the side road, at speed.

I don't know how people do it every day, I can't wait to get back on my bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I got a lift in evening rush hour last week and I honestly do not know how people do it for hours every day. Like that bumper to bumper, rampant law breaking, and so, so, so stressful. After it I'm amazed they aren't more accidents tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I usually cycle in around 7am in the mornings and home again around lunchtime so I don't really get to experience the full on rush hour that often, but when I do it shocks me how anyone could stick it regularly. I cycled down the Dundrum Road last week around 8.45am and the amount of stressed out beepers was something else!

It was quite sh1t show with my fellow cycling commuters this morning between 7 and 7.30am. The majority of cyclists I saw were without any lights whatsoever, and the majority of those I saw with lights had the rear red light on the front - its almost like its a 'thing'!!

I can't help but politely say 'get some lights' as I pass, especially to the ones sailing across junctions on red lights all in black!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Vel wrote: »
    It was quite sh1t show with my fellow cycling commuters this morning between 7 and 7.30am. The majority of cyclists I saw were without any lights whatsoever, and the majority of those I saw with lights had the rear red light on the front - its almost like its a 'thing'!!
    The majority I saw still had lights, but there did seem to be more without lights this morning*. They all had helmets and hiviz, which as the RSA keeps telling us, is the most important thing...

*colleges back today, but would've thought I was ahead of the college crowe tbh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Drove in yesterday, went though what I thought was a shallow collection of water, came up to 2/3 wheels and car stalled and didn't restart, now TFBUNDY as we used to say in hospitals...
    Cycled this am and you would think I'd have been clever enough to go a different way...
    Cold wet feet now ........

• Advertisement

I can't get from work to College on time if I cycle. I've tried it and my lecturer is getting pee'd off at me waling in late. So Monday and Tuesday my only option is to drive into the city at 5.30pm, I usually make it on time and can get a coffee. I was never an angry driver though and can do the drive with a high level of zen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    Cycled this am and you would think I'd have been clever enough to go a different way...
    Cold wet feet now ........

I laughed at this, as it's something I've done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I can't get from work to College on time if I cycle. I've tried it and my lecturer is getting pee'd off at me waling in late. So Monday and Tuesday my only option is to drive into the city at 5.30pm, I usually make it on time and can get a coffee. I was never an angry driver though and can do the drive with a high level of zen

Leave earlier!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Leave earlier!

I really can't, it's hard enough getting out of work at 5.30. I was coming in earlier to leave earlier but still couldn't get out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I really can't, it's hard enough getting out of work at 5.30. I was coming in earlier to leave earlier but still couldn't get out

All I'm reading are excuses. Now get out there, find a solution and make it happen.

Motivation is my strong suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I heard from club mates the An Post/Sport Ireland Tour of Sligo has been cancelled this year (usually on the May bank holiday weekend) - awful pity.

I'm guessing it's an expensive event to put together and they want to allocate funds to other areas.

I wonder will this affect any of the other cycles (Meath/Clare/Waterford/Cork).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I thought An Post had stopped all of their cycling related sponsorships as of this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Weepsie wrote: »
    I thought An Post had stopped all of their cycling related sponsorships as of this year?

They didn't sponsor any of the sportive/cycle series last year so Sports Ireland stepped in. But this year Sport Ireland are not running the Sligo one.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Your lecturer is pee'd at you.
    You need to remind him/her that they are paid to show up whereas you are paying. College is the opposite of work in this regard.

• Advertisement

guanciale wrote: »
    Your lecturer is pee'd at you.
    You need to remind him/her that they are paid to show up whereas you are paying. College is the opposite of work in this regard.

Ah he's not said anything but you can see the irritation and no matter how quiet you creep in it disturbs the rest of those also paying. It's disrespectful to the rest of the class

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement