Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was reading the below story earlier (a non-story if there ever was one), but what struck me as noteworthy was the thumbnail
    http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/this-is-why-you-get-f-killed-truck-driver-films-tirade-against-cyclists-20180123-h0ne5l.html

439717.png

Is this another misleading example of the oft-mentioned but rarely actually sighted 4-abreast peloton?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing that's been annoying me of late - why can't bike manufacturers settle on a standard for bike frame sizing?
    my main bike is a claimed 52cm - and the top tube is 52cm long, but the effective top tube is 53.5 or thereabouts - so what's the bleeding point in saying it's a 52?

surely there's a basic parameter or set of parameters they could go back to which would mean that when you see a frame size mentioned, you'd be able to trust that rather than having to disregard it and consult a geometry chart?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume because relaxed/race/touring, having a standardised frame size would not work as from manufacturer to manufacturer, nay from model to model, the relative dimensions are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

one thing that's been annoying me of late - why can't bike manufacturers settle on a standard for bike frame sizing?
    surely there's a basic parameter or set of parameters
    Stack and reach

• Advertisement

Lad passed me this morning when I was out with the mutt on a rather nice Kuota and equally nice gear , and randomly reminded me I've never owned a pair of overshoes. I was never one for road shoes anyway, wear mtb or touring ones on the road bike but can't say I've ever been bothered by cold or wet feet.

i've occasionally rued leaving the house without overshoes - if it's frosty or especially wet on the way in on my commute, i don't enjoy pulling on wet shoes for the journey home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Today is new bike day! :pac:

I haven't taken delivery yet and I'm already looking at the next one. This being single craic is turning out better than I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://twitter.com/CH415_/status/956484446743646208

Wait for it.

"If only there was a Garda arou....oh."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Does anyone know if this entrance to Powerscourt Demesne is usuall open?

https://goo.gl/maps/3ChXPDMBjNP2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Alek wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this entrance to Powerscourt Demesne is usuall open?

https://goo.gl/maps/3ChXPDMBjNP2

No, not usually as far as I know.

want.
    how many steel bike builders are there in the UK - and ireland - now? i hope someone is keeping track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuUi12XbalE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... i don't enjoy pulling on wet shoes for the journey home.
    Would you not stuff them with newspaper when you take them off? The paper will absorb the moisture during the day and they'll be 90% dry for the commute home. (I thought everyone did that!)

i have done it, but there's a drying room in work, and newspaper a little hard to come by in there. but it's why i would wear overshoes if i thought it was going to be wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Would you not stuff them with newspaper when you take them off? The paper will absorb the moisture during the day and they'll be 90% dry for the commute home. (I thought everyone did that!)

That and stick 'em under any hand/hair dryer available for a bit (don't melt any glue).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I nick the clear bags with handles for vegetables in supermarkets. They weigh nothing so have them in my bag if it rains. They do not keep it all off by any means but better than nothing. You tie the handles together. I do not have clip pedals but reckon they are so thin they would probably still allow you to clip in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

i have done it, but there's a drying room in work, and newspaper a little hard to come by in there. but it's why i would wear overshoes if i thought it was going to be wet.

SPD sandals ftw. It rains, your toes get wet. Rain stops, your toes get dry again.

Sealskinz socks for winter riding...

rubadub wrote: »
    I nick the clear bags with handles for vegetables in supermarkets. They weigh nothing so have them in my bag if it rains. They do not keep it all off by any means but better than nothing. You tie the handles together. I do not have clip pedals but reckon they are so thin they would probably still allow you to clip in.

In the name of science I'll be willing to test this out !!!! :pac:

I'm with ya buddy. Shoe covers keep the feet toasty and dry.

Also indexing gears is a pig

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In the name of science I'll be willing to test this out !!!! :pac:

thinking about it they might get tangled up in the mechanism so be careful, might not be good ideal, esp. if you forget they are on your feet. They would likely get a bit shredded each time you clip in & out. The bags are very weak though so would hopefully tear away.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    thinking about it they might get tangled up in the mechanism so be careful, might not be good ideal, esp. if you forget they are on your feet. They would likely get a bit shredded each time you clip in & out. The bags are very weak though so would hopefully tear away.

I did jokingly suggest it to her self and I got the "look" and the words "no you can't have the bag the bananas came in" :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Killed my volvo last week by driving into what I though was shallow standing water :(

Now looking replacement.

Mrs Fowl wants me to get a "chest runaround" like a Micra (retches)

Meanwhile Rob is looking at 5 series beemers, more Volvos and Land Rovers (all with silly mileages :) )

Helpful hint welcome though sensible ones will be ignored.

Room for bikes (and dogs) paramount and want something interesting ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

RobFowl wrote: »
    Killed by volvo last week by driving into what I though was shallow standing water :(

Now looking replacement.

Meanwhile Rob is looking at 5 series beemers, more Volvos and Land Rovers (all with silly mileages :) )

Room for bikes (and dogs) paramount and wnat something interesting ....

I'm in the same market right now. Going to get rid of Mrs Docs Hyundai and my old Merc and get one 'sensible' car that can fit kids and bikes.

A bit like you I'm wasting all research time looking at pre 2000 Range Rovers or X5s. I live in city centre so having an SUV is ridiculous but the monthly drive to the in laws West might just about justify it.
    Have you looked at 2nd hand Volvo X60s?
    That's what I'm thinking now although I'm not sure I'm ready to fully commit to being middle aged so early!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Killed by volvo last week by driving into what I though was shallow standing water :(

Now looking replacement.

I'll sell you my merc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Now looking replacement.

The biggest cost to car ownership, which people seem to miss, is depreciation.

If you don't do a lot of mileage and can bear a higher yearly tax look at subaru, saab 93, Honda accord in petrol.

Mileage and age(other than insurance trouble) isn't what you should be concerned with but condition and servicing. My wife now drives my old car with 350k km on it, the car before that had over 500k km on it.

Have a gawk in motors forum, the Luxobarge thread is worth a look

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

We have a Rav4 and it does the job nicely, seats down it can take bikes comfortably, but with the dogs and kids, we can carry everything with space if the bike is on the back (although I can fit the bike in if I just take the wheels off).
    Doc07 wrote: »
    A bit like you I'm wasting all research time looking at pre 2000 Range Rovers or X5s. I live in city centre so having an SUV is ridiculous but the monthly drive to the in laws West might just about justify it.
    The only thing against these is getting insurance, cars over 10 or 14 years old can be troublesome to get insured unless you have had it continuously insured, from what the motors forum tell me. Our insurance started jumping when our old car went over the 10year mark. The enviromentalist in me thinks this is terrible though as I firmly believe it is a better idea to keep old cars in good shape, rather than replace with newer cars. Until Electrics are wide spread, I am keeping that view.
    Have you looked at 2nd hand Volvo X60s?
    Great cars and easy to service as well as being very reliable. I looked under a neighbours bonnet recently, and it was the first time in a long time I thought, whoever designed this was a practical engineer/mechanic, not a hands off, this will work type of person.
    ford2600 wrote: »
    The biggest cost to car ownership, which people seem to miss, is depreciation.
    100%, buying a new car is lunacy as the moment your drive out the garage entrance, that is 50% off the value. Unless you want the look of a new car every year, in which case, you may as well rent (or PCP or whatever it is called) as you love throwing away money.
    If you don't do a lot of mileage and can bear a higher yearly tax look at subaru, saab 93, Honda accord in petrol.
    The old Saab 93s were great, sold mine a few years ago as I never drove it, 2 door executive. Most efficient car, comfortable and built to last. The safety features of this model (2000) are only coming into the main of other manufacturers in the last 5 years.
    Mileage and age(other than insurance trouble) isn't what you should be concerned with but condition and servicing. My wide now drives my old car with 350k km on it, the car before that had over 500k km on it.
    If a car is looked after, mileage is a non thing, I have seen well looked after toyotas over the 500k mark without problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159-20v-jtdm/17803988

The owner is posting about that in motors forum. Alfa enthusiast, properly serviced and looks good

I'd be all over it if I needed a car.

I bought a 2003 Accord estate for 500quid. Nobody wants to tax a 2ltr :rolleyes:

Room for dog and bike plus full of luxury, heated leather, auto tailgate and lots more. Interesting looking thing too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I would recommend an 8th gen Honda Civic, the seats fold completely flat (allowing me a 6ft 2 man to lie in comfort) or you have the "magic seats" function too which allows you to put a bike standing up in the back seat area.

1.8 is extremely economical and they are reliable and can be had to around 3k in Ireland.

My 06 cost me 6500 here in Switzerland last March.

• Advertisement

i'm on my second octavia, which is absolutely great for boot space but has one annoying feature - glass boot lid, which means you can't put a standard bike rack on the back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement