Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

i'm on my second octavia, which is absolutely great for boot space but has one annoying feature - glass boot lid, which means you can't put a standard bike rack on the back.

Slightly related. Saw a review of the octavia rs 245. Mmmmmmmm.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I'll sell you my merc!

Koutobia trying to get me to go for a Merc too.
    Yis must be soul mates

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ford2600 wrote: »
    If you don't do a lot of mileage and can bear a higher yearly tax look at subaru, saab 93, Honda accord in petrol.

Mileage and age(other than insurance trouble) isn't what you should be concerned with but condition and servicing. My wife now drives my old car with 350k km on it, the car before that had over 500k km on it.

Have a gawk in motors forum, the Luxobarge thread is worth a look

The Luxobarge thread is great fun and far too tempting...
    SAAB's worry me due to maintenance issues
    Looking at Subaru and Honda now though and very tempted..

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159-20v-jtdm/17803988

The owner is posting about that in motors forum. Alfa enthusiast, properly serviced and looks good

I'd be all over it if I needed a car.

Had an Alfa once

Once was enough......

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    We have a Rav4 and it does the job nicely, seats down it can take bikes comfortably, but with the dogs and kids, we can carry everything with space if the bike is on the back (although I can fit the bike in if I just take the wheels off).

If a car is looked after, mileage is a non thing, I have seen well looked after toyotas over the 500k mark without problems.

Chilled about mileage as long as looked after properly.
    RAV 4 looks nice

I would recommend an 8th gen Honda Civic, the seats fold completely flat (allowing me a 6ft 2 man to lie in comfort) or you have the "magic seats" function too which allows you to put a bike standing up in the back seat area.

1.8 is extremely economical and they are reliable and can be had to around 3k in Ireland.

My 06 cost me 6500 here in Switzerland last March.

Sounds good but Honda civic's are hairdressers cars ;)

#Sorry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

RobFowl wrote: »
    Sounds good but Honda civic's are hairdressers cars ;)

#Sorry

Ah now! They were awesome boy racer bars where I'm from. I've spent some time being deafened in them! They can fairly go.
    Also seen a couple rallied too.

I love an old shape civic. If insurance wasn't so ridiculous on older cars I'd love one.*

I am really hoping that's gonna change btw, it's atrocious environmentally.

*I am, and always have been carless. Disregard all of my automotive choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Koutobia trying to get me to go for a Merc too.

Look we have had this conversation and I thought we agreed.....No crappy beemers and buy this https://www.adverts.ie/car/mercedes-benz/r-class/2007-mercedes-benz-r-class/14165314

koutoubia wrote: »
    Look we have had this conversation and I thought we agreed.....No crappy beemers and buy this https://www.adverts.ie/car/mercedes-benz/r-class/2007-mercedes-benz-r-class/14165314

Going to try and test drive it anyway ;)
    May drag you along....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

nee wrote: »
    Ah now! They were awesome boy racer bars where I'm from. I've spent some time being deafened in them! They can fairly go.
    Also seen a couple rallied too.

I love an old shape civic. If insurance wasn't so ridiculous on older cars I'd love one.*

I am really hoping that's gonna change btw, it's atrocious environmentally.

*I am, and always have been carless. Disregard all of my automotive choices!

I had a few SiR's and TypeR's over the years. They are like go karts with a stereo. An absolute hoot to drive. Not great for getting bikes in and out of though!

We've an Octavia , only thing thats an absolute arse ache is changing bulbs in the front. Herself and her tiny hands takes care of that. Had a minor fender bender last year which resulted in the grill at the front being damaged no more than that and we had to have the whole f'n bumper replaced :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

We've an Octavia , only thing thats an absolute arse ache is changing bulbs in the front. Herself and her tiny hands takes care of that. Had a minor fender bender last year which resulted in the grill at the front being damaged no more than that and we had to have the whole f'n bumper replaced :mad:

Read your manual? Small white plastic nut and a black lever

The whole headlight comes out from the front; easiest bulbs I've ever changed...

https://youtu.be/HpZqvGawcKQ

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I foresee an increase in Strava activities of the type "Running from incoming mortar fire".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/28/fitness-tracking-app-gives-away-location-of-secret-us-army-bases

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Going to try and test drive it anyway ;)
    May drag you along....
    As it's pre 2008, can you live with motor tax of €1,500 annually?

The initial price may seem attractive but, in 4 years time it will be 15 years old and practically worthless and the tax will still be €1,500.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The whole headlight comes out from the front; easiest bulbs I've ever changed...
    yeah - three minute job. dead easy. maybe we're revealing too much about the size of our hands.

a friend has a megane. the chap in halfords who has changed the bulbs twice for him claimed that he had helped cows give birth, and that was easier than changing the bulbs in the megane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

As it's pre 2008, can you live with motor tax of €1,500 annually?
    also, you may find insurance will be affected too. i recently changed from a 2007 car to a 2012 one and the insurance company refunded me about 15% of the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Take it to Motors!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

yeah - three minute job. dead easy. maybe we're revealing too much about the size of our hands.

a friend has a megane. the chap in halfords who has changed the bulbs twice for him claimed that he had helped cows give birth, and that was easier than changing the bulbs in the megane.

To be fair, as someone who has helped out there, there is alot more give in the Cow than there is in a typical car. It's not like you can reach inside a cars v*****, tie two ropes around the lightbulb and jack it out if it is not coming easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    Take it to Motors!

Eh, off topic thread, muh lord.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Take it to Motors!

They aren't too interested in a car that holds bike stuff well there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Octavia, definitely. Put a tow bar on it if you want to carry your muddy cross bikes outside but otherwise you can get a bike in the boot with the wheels off. Over christmas down to the inlaws with 2 dog crates (folded), 2 dog beds, suitcase of clothes for my wife, bag of clothes for me, all the dogs food and toys and the bike in the boot. Not a bother. Boot opening is nice and wide too, looked at a few others and boot opening wouldn't have been wide enough to put a bike in it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    To be fair, as someone who has helped out there, there is alot more give in the Cow than there is in a typical car. It's not like you can reach inside a cars v*****, tie two ropes around the lightbulb and jack it out if it is not coming easily.
    the megane is not a typical car. 'may require the removal of bodywork' is not a phrase you often hear in relation to changing bulbs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4

joey100 wrote: »
    otherwise you can get a bike in the boot with the wheels off.
    i typically fold one of the back seats down and can get the bike in the car with just the front wheel removed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"It's not right Bill."
    "It may not be right John, but neither is ending up in the boot of a Renault Megane..."

https://youtu.be/BC7Xv7kHiZ4?t=50s

That's what Meganes are forever associated with in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

the megane is not a typical car. 'may require the removal of bodywork' is not a phrase you often hear in relation to changing bulbs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4

Renault say the front bumper needs to be loosened. It can be done by removing the inner wheel arch and removing the front wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

God, I love cycling!

I started commuting years ago by bike before I had kids but then became pregnant and had three kids in pretty quick succession and it fell by the wayside during my maternity leaves. I had lost confidence by the time I went back to work after my youngest and as I live on the green line luas I spent a couple of years chugging in and out to town on that way.
    The combination of a relationship breakdown, wanting to save money, getting sick of public transport and just wanting some ‘me time’ saw me get back on the bike for commuting 3 years ago.

I am now averaging 70km a week (which I know some of you could knock out in a weekend!), can eat what I want (I love food!), I feel healthy both physically and mentally and am overall a much happier person as a result of my daily commute! I’d like to get out more, and often have the legs to keep going once I get to my house but I’m pretty chuffed with 70km a week given I’m a working single parent with three young kids.

I also learned to drive last year at the grand old age of 38 and passed my test and I have no doubt I am a much safer, more observant and patient driver as a result of all the cycling.

So, not really sure what the point of this post is, other than YAY to cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Vel wrote: »
    God, I love cycling!

I started commuting years ago by bike before I had kids but then became pregnant and had three kids in pretty quick succession and it fell by the wayside during my maternity leaves. I had lost confidence by the time I went back to work after my youngest and as I live on the green line luas I spent a couple of years chugging in and out to town on that way.
    The combination of a relationship breakdown, wanting to save money, getting sick of public transport and just wanting some ‘me time’ saw me get back on the bike for commuting 3 years ago.

I am now averaging 70km a week (which I know some of you could knock out in a weekend!), can eat what I want (I love food!), I feel healthy both physically and mentally and am overall a much happier person as a result of my daily commute! I’d like to get out more, and often have the legs to keep going once I get to my house but I’m pretty chuffed with 70km a week given I’m a working single parent with three young kids.

I also learned to drive last year at the grand old age of 38 and passed my test and I have no doubt I am a much safer, more observant and patient driver as a result of all the cycling.

So, not really sure what the point of this post is, other than YAY to cycling!

Yay to you loving cycling.

If you want to you can get to being able to to do 70k + in one go surprisingly quickly.

Either way please keep enjoying it

Vel wrote: »
    God, I love cycling!

You Rock :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

The Luxobarge thread is great fun and far too tempting...
    SAAB's worry me due to maintenance issues
    Looking at Subaru and Honda now though and very tempted..

2001 Saab 95 estate. Bought for 850€ three years ago. Now at 320,000km. All races covered for two years, three days done for a team, my own three day, trips home to donegal very few weeks, Belfast, etc. can carry four bikes at a time. Commute Dublin to a Drogheda every day. Saabs are fine.

But I also have an MX5 to cut down on some of those miles so...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement