Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Vel wrote: »
    I am now averaging 70km a week (which I know some of you could knock out in a weekend!), can eat what I want (I love food!), I feel healthy both physically and mentally and am overall a much happier person as a result of my daily commute! I’d like to get out more, and often have the legs to keep going once I get to my house but I’m pretty chuffed with 70km a week given I’m a working single parent with three young kids.

I tip my hat to you, I am tired anxious just thinking about being in that situation. I don't think I'd cope to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CramCycle wrote: »
    I tip my hat to you, I am tired anxious just thinking about being in that situation. I don't think I'd cope to be honest.

I can't even look after myself

2001 Saab 95 estate. Bought for 850€ three years ago. Now at 320,000km. All races covered for two years, three days done for a team, my own three day, trips home to donegal very few weeks, Belfast, etc. can carry four bikes at a time. Commute Dublin to a Drogheda every day. Saabs are fine.

I do miss my Saab, best car I ever had. Mine was a 2L automatic and was just a joy/comfort to drive, and I don't like driving. Only issue over the 5 years I had it was the oxygen sensor but picked up one easy enough, managed to do most of the servicing myself. Would highly recommend any of the pre 2004 SAABs. Despite being a 3 door, it held a babyseat, partner, another kid and a bike with ease, so much space in that boot. I used to use it for bike storage most evenings I got in from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Well I guess I had no choice! I had to keep going for the kids, and I honestly can't overestimate the role cycling has played in getting me to the great place I'm in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cycling home yesterday get over taken by a pickup pulling a 10 tonne 4 wheel trojan tractor trailer, cant imagine thats legal even if it was empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

buffalo wrote: »
    Doing the rounds]
    I guess that explains why the majority of moaning about perceived dangers of cycling is from white middle class men.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Doing the rounds:
    and as one of the tweets underneath it points out, "Also if you get hurt, you will have your clothing choices scrutinised to the nth degree, sometimes by pundits on TV."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Good on you Vel if everyone took your viewpoint and did look to cycling our mental health and physical health would be in a much better state,i notice a huge effect from just 2km i cycle in the city

manafana wrote: »
    Good on you Vel if everyone took your viewpoint and did look to cycling our mental health and physical health would be in a much better state,i notice a huge effect from just 2km i cycle in the city

It's good healthy exercise and a bit of time to gather your thoughts. I was only sorry I didn't keep it up through my 20's

The cable end for my front mech came off and the cable touched the tyre resulting in the cable becoming completely frayed. I haven't the time to fix it before Wednesday and have a route planned with a buddy so have to leave it in to have a cable replaced. Morto :o

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Read your manual? Small white plastic nut and a black lever

The whole headlight comes out from the front; easiest bulbs I've ever changed...

https://youtu.be/HpZqvGawcKQ

Yeah on a 09 it's cake but seems to be different on a 13 model , no nut that I could find and manual only explains the change not how to remove the whole unit like on the older ones. Though maybe I've missed something obvious :o

Must actually head to google or the motoring forum now I've it on my mind. Sidelight as an absolute bastard to change without removing the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Just had dry needling done for the first time
    ... oy vey

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

I'm middle class? Yes get in there. 1 rung higher on the ladder :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

... oy vey
    what did you do to deserve that?
    my wife had it done and it made little difference.

what did you do to deserve that?
    my wife had it done and it made little difference.

Few lads over in the gym swear by it and also that cup therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

... oy vey

I thought you were being continually criticised by Steven Wright or something.

Glad we don't have to contend with this :eek:

She was ok, needed a few stitches on her knee

Glad we don't have to contend with this :eek:

She was ok, needed a few stitches on her knee

ahem:
    000cc534-800.jpg

Photo from RTE and taken by Erik Stagg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lucky deer. Those antlers probably saved its life.

• Advertisement

ahem:
    https://img.rasset.ie/000cc534-800.jpg

Photo from RTE and taken by Erik Stagg

Gas

I've just booked a week off work for the middle of Feb, going to get the train to Athlone and cycle back. Am I right in saying there's a greenway route around Mullingar that can be taken on a road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I've just booked a week off work for the middle of Feb, going to get the train to Athlone and cycle back. Am I right in saying there's a greenway route around Mullingar that can be taken on a road bike?[/QUOTE]

This is what your looking for,
    http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/media/OldTrail_Map.pdf

moonshadow wrote: »

Ah brilliant thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Ah brilliant thanks

Was on the boat in athlone last year and cycled the greenway from there to mullingar and most of the way back, it's lovely but gets a bit boring tbh so I hit the old main road ...
    You will need to give the many walkers a bit of a shout as you approach from behind them as most wore headphones..
    There are some "gates" like on the canal in Dublin but you really don't have to dismount.
    Google the start point in athlone...I had 20 k done before I found it.
    Enjoy

While in traffic on the way to College on Tuesday a motorcyclist pulled up beside me, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw he was facetiming somebody, phone on a cradle on the handlebars, obviously bluetooth headphones or mic. Is it any wonder people are being mushed on our roads at an alarming rate

https://twitter.com/caoilybee_like/status/959060194608238592

TL;DR - a woman who owns a dutch bike and a road bike reports that the reaction of other road users to her differs considerably - and consistently - depending on which bike she's on.

https://twitter.com/SarahJindra/status/959084468119195649

Good helicopter footage. Amazingly reckless the speed they were going at, considering it's a bike path they've decided to use.

https://twitter.com/caoilybee_like/status/959060194608238592

TL;DR - a woman who owns a dutch bike and a road bike reports that the reaction of other road users to her differs considerably - and consistently - depending on which bike she's on.

I get completely different, kindlier reactions when I'm on the bakfiets. Then again, I suspect people think I've dropped into the real world out of a children's movie.

to be fair, there was only one driver to blame there. everyone else who followed clearly assumed the driver in front knew where they were going.

not that it's massively common, but i'm always bemused at the drivers who think 'sure the footpath on griffith avenue is wide enough to drive on, so i'll do it'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

The charging port on my iPhone is dicky so it's been sent off for repair and I won't get it back until tomorrow afternoon.

It's really, really weird being phoneless and it's incredible how attached to them you get. It's a work phone and my schedule is on Outlook and without it I have no idea where I am supposed to be (I spend most of my days in various meetings in various parts of our building). I had to wait to get back to my desk to see my email, I have no idea if anyone is texting me or WhatsApping me. I can't see the news or the weather on the fly. The list is endless.

However, once you get over the initial drama of withdrawal anxiety, it's actually quite a pleasant experience being phoneless........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement