Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

to be fair, there was only one driver to blame there. everyone else who followed clearly assumed the driver in front knew where they were going.

Including the bus that got stuck!
    not that it's massively common, but i'm always bemused at the drivers who think 'sure the footpath on griffith avenue is wide enough to drive on, so i'll do it'.

They really should throw the book at people who do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

https://twitter.com/caoilybee_like/status/959060194608238592

TL;DR - a woman who owns a dutch bike and a road bike reports that the reaction of other road users to her differs considerably - and consistently - depending on which bike she's on.

I can relate to this somewhat. I commute almost exclusively on my Dutch bike and am generally treated well. My road bike riding is more at the weekends. While I've definitely noticed drivers treating me a bit differently - closer passes, less patience - that might be to do with the different time of the week/different drivers on the roads, and the contrast isn't as striking as outlined in the tweet above. I do wonder if being unhelmeted on my road bike makes a difference to how I'm perceived.

I have also noticed that a lot of commuter cyclists - on road bikes, hybrids and fixies, predominantly male - see me on my Dutch bike and jump to conclusions. Whether they think I'm going to be slower than them (90+% of the time they're wrong) or just that I must be a novice (because only newbie cyclists ride Dutch bikes, right? :rolleyes:), they all bust a gut to get past me, often when it's quite dangerous to do so.

Actually, now that I think of it, going around Howth I've had a few lads panting past me with bright red faces, possibly because they resent being passed by a 1993 Raleigh Elan when they've spent far more on a far swankier bike. Or maybe they'd hate being passed by anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Do you think it's the bike or the tweed that garners the respect, Doctor Bob? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

:D

I'd like to think it's my winning smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

This caught my eye this morning: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/new-garda-allegations-on-homicide-data-are-staggering-1.3377141
    New Garda allegations on homicide data are staggering
    The allegation that some murders and other homicides were both misclassified and never investigated properly is a staggering claim that will rock Government and the Garda.
    Instead, 89 road deaths between 2003 and 2017 that should have been classified as homicides were recorded as some other, less serious, offence. All of them were cases of dangerous driving causing death.
    They say homicides, including murders, were classified in official records and on the Garda’s Pulse as less serious offences. And, crucially, they also alleged that some of those cases were never investigated as homicides.

To quote BikeSnob - the best way to kill someone and get away with it is with your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The Lion of Flanders

26263430_1261798140630719_40067255983144960_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

AstraMonti wrote: »

It seems you have like 1.5mm of useful brake pad life with these.

[edit]
    £876,175 goal

Whoa Mr. Rockefeller!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Alek wrote: »
    Whoa Mr. Rockefeller!

Yeah.. that's a bit... ambitious for brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anybody know how easy it is to get derailleur hangers in bricks and mortar shops? It's for a Lappiere Audacio 400 with Tiagra 10sp if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Anybody know how easy it is to get derailleur hangers in bricks and mortar shops? It's for a Lappiere Audacio 400 with Tiagra 10sp if that makes a difference.

They usually have to order them in but some have a box of generic ones which may fit.
    If its a dealer or where you got it more likely.

RobFowl wrote: »
    They usually have to order them in but some have a box of generic ones which may fit.
    If its a dealer or where you got it more likely.

It's a friends bike, I actually bought it through the adverts section on here for him. He came off this morning on black ice and it's not shifting properly now. I'll take a proper look at it later but from a pic he's sent the hanger looks bent

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's a friends bike, I actually bought it through the adverts section on here for him. He came off this morning on black ice and it's not shifting properly now. I'll take a proper look at it later but from a pic he's sent the hanger looks bent

Do a Joe Pesci on it.....

Do a Joe Pesci on it.....

How's that funny?

:P

How's that funny?

:P

Stick it in a vice .....

Stick it in a vice .....

36ca297e48b8eac4a778605fae2b7e1d7c22826da7ab6043e82a7f629d23fc88.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was just in rothar in phibsboro; interesting to note that they don't do bike restoration or sell secondhand bikes anymore. much of their (all new) stock is orbea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is this any use?

https://www.caratrade.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=95467

Eamonnator wrote: »

Thanks, could be once I can collect tomorrow or today. I'll give them a bell now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone care to offer an opinion on SRAM chains? Getting peeved at the rate I'm going through Shimano ones so trying a PC 1170 Sram one with the latest change.

3 x Turbo Spins with 1 x 100km Road spin weekly has seen a chain disappear in 2.5 months.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone care to offer an opinion on SRAM chains? Getting peeved at the rate I'm going through Shimano ones so trying a PC 1170 Sram one with the latest change.

3 x Turbo Spins with 1 x 100km Road spin weekly has seen a chain disappear in 2.5 months.

I had the same problem with Shimano chains and went KMC, more expensive but there's big mileage in it now and still looks new

I had the same problem with Shimano chains and went KMC, more expensive but there's big mileage in it now and still looks new

Which KMC one exactly?

Shop doesn't do them and just didn't want a Shimano chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm usually using sram chains, but I change them regularly. In fact I prefer a quick wearing chain, it is cheaper to replace than cassettes.

Which KMC one exactly?

Shop doesn't do them and just didn't want a Shimano chain.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/kmc-x9-super-light-9-speed-chain-gold/rp-prod25420

I got that one. Note it's 9spd, the equivalent 11spd is a good bit more expensive.

Idleater wrote: »
    I'm usually using sram chains, but I change them regularly. In fact I prefer a quick wearing chain, it is cheaper to replace than cassettes.

I think after this change will keep a close eye on chain wear to avoid any potential mishaps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i nearly put this in the ugly bikes thread, but it's not that bad from a distance. no harm for fifty one to get a mention on GCN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XugSX9WBO8

i nearly put this in the ugly bikes thread, but it's not that bad from a distance. no harm for fifty one to get a mention on GCN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XugSX9WBO8

I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Watching the Tour de Communitat on Eurosport. Can't deny that it's quite cool seeing a pro race on roads I've fattled along on my rental Bianchi

Watching the Tour de Communitat on Eurosport. Can't deny that it's quite cool seeing a pro race on roads I've fattled along on my rental Bianchi

Was thinking the same, was there about 5 years ago. I was admiring the new bikes the CCC lads are on while watching that earlier. Much nicer than the all orange ones of recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I ordered a couple of things from Wiggle and they sent me completely the wrong things.
    I'll be returning the items, but will I get any comeback for the postage that I have to fork out on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement