Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    A lot of that is down to the likes of Nate Koch. He's clearly the slowest of the sprinters, but head and shoulders above everyone else for his "entertainment" value

Almost felt sorry for Chief Commissaire Paul Watson last night - the elimination race was something else, with 18 teams of 2 starting off- that's 36 riders, but only 18 of them "live" at any one time. Working out who was last over the line every 2nd lap was seriously challenging!

It's a bit of a daft event, figuring out who wins by virtue of who is last.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Raam wrote: »

It's extraordinarily tactical and tense. Positioning is key, getting into the same position as a rake of other riders is tough. It's super aggressive, calculating and super, super tactical. It's a great race. I'm shyte at them :D

ETA: Having a bit of a dilemma. Dirty Dancing and the 6 Day are on. Life is hard :P

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The guy who is first over the line in wins. The elimination simply determines who ends up in the final head to head

It's one of the most entertaining track disciplines both the watch but also to participate in.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gadetra wrote: »
    ETA: Having a bit of a dilemma. Dirty Dancing and the 6 Day are on. Life is hard :P
    You have another 359 days in the year to dance dirty .....

Ha ha yup 6 Day won.

Loving bike cam. Hating my sporadic broadband :mad:

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    The guy who is first over the line in wins. The elimination simply determines who ends up in the final head to head

It's one of the most entertaining track disciplines both the watch but also to participate in.

I know how it works. I think it's daft.

But certainly entertaining to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ya, it was watching the repeat of last nights Elimination that got my interest up. The Madison looks tougher to keep track of who's in what position.

The Madison is a way better event. The Devil is too much like musical chairs.

But certainly entertaining to watch.
    And that's why it's thrown into events like this. It's actually the scariest track race to participate in also with those at the front slowing down over the line while those at the back are speeding up to try and overtake someone. It's part of the omnium and also survives at the Europeans, but it's far from a "mainstream" track event at the highest levels (we do a few in the track league mind!)

Laura Trott is an excellent proponent of the discipline and seems capable of finding gaps that no-one else would dare to exploit whenever she does the omnium. She needs guts with the way she goes for them though (and I probably could not even fit in some of those gaps - not that I would ever even think of trying)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

those events are good, pity the Olympics is starting to limit the track programme

In the 6 day, the elimination is also a Madison though!

It's a lot more tactical, calculating, aggressive and tense than musical chairs. You should give it a go. Then see how exciting/shyte it is ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

manafana wrote: »
    those events are good, pity the Olympics is starting to limit the track programme

Olympic track program is a bit of a joke TBH, IP, points and kilo were all great events. Program means an endurance rider from a small nation has no real opportunity to shine yet a splinter from a larger nation has 3 ...

manafana wrote: »
    It was significantly limited in both Beijing and London. Now it's 5 races for both men and women. 10 medals in total. They had to cut back in track cycling to allow medals to be allocated to BMX IIRC and the IOC places an overall limit on the total number of cycling medals. It's a bit frustrating given the number handed out in the likes of Athletics and Swimming

It's a lot more tactical, calculating, aggressive and tense than musical chairs. You should give it a go. Then see how exciting/shyte it is ;)

I should clarify...

I don't think it is shyte. As a spectacle and hence as a 6-day event... it has a place. As an an olympic event I think it has no place.

If I was to do track it would be pursuit. Maybe some day. Need to get the chislers a bit older first.

I should clarify...

I don't think it is shyte. As a spectacle and hence as a 6-day event... it has a place. As an an olympic event I think it has no place.

If I was to do track it would be pursuit. Maybe some day. Need to get the chislers a bit older first.

I would have to disagree with it's suitability as an Olympic discipline. It takes a really, really sharp, proper track rider to be good at an elimination. You have to use the track to it's maximum, and your tactical nous and gumption to the max, more than any other race I think, apart from maybe a points race (that's more calculating I think).

Oh it'll start with pursuit, and develop into a full blown addiction :D

I would have to disagree with it's suitability as an Olympic discipline. It takes a really, really sharp, proper track rider to be good at an elimination. You have to use the track to it's maximum, and your tactical nous and gumption to the max, more than any other race I think, apart from maybe a points race (that's more calculating I think).

Oh it'll start with pursuit, and develop into a full blown addiction :D

For me, a bike race is about winning, not about not losing. That's what the devil is, all but the last lap where it is a two person sprint.

Elimination race would be the lowest priority for me in terms of Olympic status. The fundamental race that was always considered the blue riband was the Individual Pursuit. Now we only have it as part of the omnium plus a team pursuit. Then there's the TT (kilo/500m). The Points race again does not get a look in except within the omnium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Elimination shouldn't be Olympic. It was only originally a "fun" event. IP should be brought back 100%.

I'm suggesting a new race for Sundrive. All Out War. It'll be start with an elimination race until there are 10 riders left, then it'll be a 10 lap points races, but sprints every two laps.

• Advertisement

But all throughout an elimination you are winning :confused:

At no point are you losing to win? A points race is the same, it's not about winning every sprint, but about winning enough and consistently throughout the race to win. You don't want to blow during the race, you keep a certain mount int eh tank to make it to the end. An elimination race is like appoints race with a sprint every lap instead of every 4/8 laps.

In other news it was my first club gym night tonight. I went through everything as fast as I could like a beginner eejit. My legs are now sore to touch. I start a new job tomorrow. Standing up and sitting down requires something to hold onto. And it's only going to get worse :o Aaaargh!

There are only two chances in the year to do IP here. Olympic Omnium weekend and Nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

RobFowl wrote: »
    Olympic track program is a bit of a joke TBH, IP, points and kilo were all great events. Program means an endurance rider from a small nation has no real opportunity to shine yet a splinter from a larger nation has 3 ...

agreed,

one side note a certain rugby player from carlow seemed to have a nice monday back home as mentioned on social media.

But all throughout an elimination you are winning :confused:

At no point are you losing to win? A points race is the same, it's not about winning every sprint, but about winning enough and consistently throughout the race to win. You don't want to blow during the race, you keep a certain mount int eh tank to make it to the end. An elimination race is like appoints race with a sprint every lap instead of every 4/8 laps.

In other news it was my first club gym night tonight. I went through everything as fast as I could like a beginner eejit. My legs are now sore to touch. I start a new job tomorrow. Standing up and sitting down requires something to hold onto. And it's only going to get worse :o Aaaargh!

Oh come on, a points race is in no way similar.

There are only two chances in the year to do IP here. Olympic Omnium weekend and Nationals.
    I only had one, and it was neither of those (still took gold mind:P)

I'm suggesting a new race for Sundrive. All Out War. It'll be start with an elimination race until there are 10 riders left, then it'll be a 10 lap points races, but sprints every two laps.

I think we did that in training? I'm nearly 100% sure I did something that anyway. Nearly! Sprints every 2 laps would be awesome. I think we should implement that :D

It's hilarious I am defending the Elimination race, it's my least favorite race to do :pac:

I think we did that in training? I'm nearly 100% sure I did something that anyway. Nearly! Sprints every 2 laps would be awesome. I think we should implement that :D

It's hilarious I am defending the Elimination race, it's my least favorite race to do :pac:

My favourite.

Oh come on, a points race is in no way similar.

It's similar-ish though? They both require you to think about your positioning in relation to other riders and calculating that against yourself. The points race is different yes, (my favorite bunch race!) but there are some similar skills and elements to both. I think the elimination is more agressive and scary in my experience.

My favourite.
    Over 2 years since I did one, but it's my favourite bunch race (and was a bit disappointed when they replaced it one night this year in the club league)

Having said that I would have been more disappointed if they had done it and I managed to get myself eliminated in the first sprint!

• Advertisement

It's similar-ish though? They both require you to think about your positioning in relation to other riders and calculating that against yourself. The points race is different yes, (my favorite bunch race!) but there are some similar skills and elements to both. I think the elimination is more agressive and scary in my experience.

Points = try to win.
    Devil = try not to lose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement