Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Has anyone applied for a position in the new Decathlon store for Dublin or know how to? Maybe it’s too early yet.

I'd say 16-20 weeks before opening is when they will realistically start recruiting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Audax has survived for a long time on open roads with sleep deprivation

Well, there is 3 day sleep deprivation and 9 day sleep deprivation while *racing*.

There are not too many >3 days events in Audax. And the pressure to soldier on is not as high.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Has anyone applied for a position in the new Decathlon store for Dublin or know how to? Maybe it’s too early yet.

I'd say this is your best bet, but I imagine it's a while out yet

http://recruitment.decathlon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

From the IT article yesterday, they are not pushed to set up quickly and will wait for the right premises if they have to, even if it means 2019 or 2020.

It's kinda circular though. Need staff to open the shop. Can't hire staff without the shop. LollipopJimmy is probably closest to it. Once the shop is found, 4-6 months in advance is going to be the time for recruitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thanks guys. Got over excited and jumped the gun a bit there.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I ordered a canyon bike via the CTW scheme a week or two ago. My employer were looking for a VAT free invoice and Canyon obliged upon receipt of a registered VAT number and address.
    The employer then has to self-account for Irish VAT which it cannot reclaim - it's all covered in the BTW megathread (post #4 IIRC)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I ordered a canyon bike via the CTW scheme a week or two ago. My employer were looking for a VAT free invoice and Canyon obliged upon receipt of a registered VAT number and address.
    Yes this works thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Two sights today that made me go hmm:
    1) a mini road gritter salting the cycle paths
    2) on a road too narrow for two way traffic plus cycle lanes, there is one driving lane shared effectively by oncoming and going traffic and two cycle lanes, one in each direction.

Not Ireland obviously but the Netherlands. I might trot it out next time someone says the roads are too narrow and "cause" dangerous overtakes.

Just spotted Eurosport have their app back on PS4 and Xbox One. Saves a bit of hassle for me having to move the chromecast to another TV to watch cycling if the main one is in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Could've sworn I posted this yesterday, might be of interest to some:
    'Wonderful Losers : A Different World' is a Cycling documentary that focuses on Italy’s so-called ‘gregarios’ who sacrifice their own potential to support their teammates.The film brings a unique view of Cycling through the eyes of these unsung champions.

The film will be screening on Sunday the 25th of February at the Light House Cinema in Smithfield with Writer and Directer Arunas Matelis in attendance. More information on this film can be found via the link below:

http://www.diff.ie/festival/film/wonderful-losers-a-different-world

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact me here or ring one of my colleagues on 01 6624260. Alternatively if you wish to make a booking you can contact the box office on 01 687 7974 or email boxoffice@diff.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

nee wrote: »
    I feel particularly bad for the trees, bikes being constantly locked to them kills them. There's a guy in my estate who permanently locks his bike to a young tree, it kills me (Aside from the ridiculousness of it as a place to lock the bike).

How exactly does the locking of a bike to a tree repeatedly cause the tree to die?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    How exactly does the locking of a bike to a tree repeatedly cause the tree to die?

Though pretty resilient, trees are open to disease the same way we are, so a constant grazing of a lock against a tree can damage the bark and leave it open to infection, especially saplings and young trees in general.

I've never seen these before... genius or flawed?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/700x19-21-linear-inner-tube-id_8359481.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Took me a while to figure out what it was but when I did I thought it's probably a good idea so you don't have to take the wheel off. Probably works well at lower pressure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What Harry said.
    Constantly being locked to also strips the bark, and in the case of my neighbour, the bike bangs against the tree in the wind and stormy weather.
    Urban street trees have a much, much shorter life expectancy than trees in other locations. They're frequently immature (like the o Connell street ones, although there are big mature ones like the Fairview trees, the o Connell street age is more typical) and stripping bark by locking up to them damages them.
    Also leaves them susceptible to diseases as Harry said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Looks the business for e-bike and cargo bikes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The inside trunk of a tree is essentially dead cells which give a tree it's structure and strength. The bark is an externally protective layer; protection from wind, sun, frost, infection and abrasion.

The layer inside bark is where the tree's "vascular system" is located. The very highest branches need water, that comes all the way from the ground along with minerals. The energy created from sunlight which manufacturers sugars, from CO2 and water, for fuel is transported in that layer also.

If you want to kill a tree damaging bark is a good start

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Looks the business for e-bike and cargo bikes...

Am trying to see if they make a 26" version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Idleater wrote: »
    2) on a road too narrow for two way traffic plus cycle lanes, there is one driving lane shared effectively by oncoming and going traffic and two cycle lanes, one in each direction.

Not Ireland obviously but the Netherlands.

I don't know the Dutch name for this arrangement, but it's called a kernfahrbahn in Germany and a 'chaucidou' (chaussee pour les circulations douces) in France. The layout was trialled in the UK a few years ago, with predictable reactions. To the surprise of many, the sky did not, in fact, fall in.

More here on the Dutch arrangement, including the fact that they're not actually cycle lanes per se: http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com...ntry-road.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    More here on the Dutch arrangement, including the fact that they're not actually cycle lanes per se: http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com...ntry-road.html
    Yes, agreed. I've cycled (and driven) on these roads many times, but having seen them again it reminded me of the 1.5m passing distance debate. The point with these markings is of course that the roadways are for cycling, and vehicles are in effect always overtaking, against oncoming traffic in the same lane. Obviously these are minor back roads or roads in urban areas where traffic is either not dense or not fast, and naturally dedicated cycle lanes are preferred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ford2600 wrote: »
    If you want to kill a tree damaging bark is a good start

Well-established method of deliberately killing trees, in fact.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girdling

(Not all the vascular system is in the bark; the xylem isn't, but the roots die when the phloem bit is removed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Thanks for the science lessons guys! A simple "because" would have sufficed!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Locking your bike to a tree affronts the nymphs, who flee, taking with them the tree's soul in a glass lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ford2600 wrote: »
    ...If you want to kill a tree damaging bark is a good start
    There are some hardy tree barks out there all the same. That one in the King's Inns has been trying to eat a park bench for years.

fZjBn3Mh.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Though pretty resilient, trees are open to disease the same way we are, so a constant grazing of a lock against a tree can damage the bark and leave it open to infection, especially saplings and young trees in general.
    plus, a sapling is easier to saw through than a kryptonite lock*

*claim made with no actual experience of testing same.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That banana on the N11 is coming along nicely, I reckon 2 more days till peak ripeness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rubadub wrote: »
    That banana on the N11 is coming along nicely, I reckon 2 more days till peak ripeness.

Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CramCycle wrote: »
    Where is it?

inbound between foxrock church and whites cross, don't go nicking it :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lost my Garmin Vivoactive around Sir John Rogerson Quay this afternoon. On the greatest off chance anyone here found it, hears of one.

Wasn't even going to wear it today, had it on the other wrist due to sore cut on the other. Very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The car antlers on the rock road heading into town by the Merrion gates are still holding out. They're been there since Christmas week I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement