Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

To balance all this i was coming downhill and I slowed as their was parked cars on my side, the driver flashed me and yielded so i could continue on, I gave him a wave for his small but notable gesture.

I'll always try to give a wave of thanks to cars as they move to pass when I know they've been sitting patiently behind me. I'm always grateful for them doing it. Again, small gesture hopefully helps them remember to always do the same rather than risk a close pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'll always try to give a wave of thanks to cars as they move to pass when I know they've been sitting patiently behind me. I'm always grateful for them doing it. Again, small gesture hopefully helps them remember to always do the same rather than risk a close pass.

I always give a wave of thanks to those that are courteous to me for the same reason.

I've still not ventured out on the bike, the bruising doesn't seem to be going down on my leg and hip. I'll be on the turbo tonight though, finally have it all set up in the shed and have a TV screen to watch Fair City while I cycle. Sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thank you. Couldn't find anything. Might do Galway to Dublin if I can find someone to bring the bike to Dublin.

http://www.larryvsharry.com/cargo-rando-riding-a-200km-brevet-on-a-bullitt/

Thank you. Couldn't find anything. Might do Galway to Dublin if I can find someone to bring the bike to Dublin.

http://www.larryvsharry.com/cargo-rando-riding-a-200km-brevet-on-a-bullitt/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

How does one facing 8 weeks on a turbo with one hand make it interesting?
    8 weeks endurance block?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

dahat wrote: »
    8 weeks endurance block?

Put a dog on a treadmill behind you. Preferably one who hates cyclists. 8 week extended sprint training!

Put a dog on a treadmill behind you. Preferably one who hates cyclists. 8 week extended sprint training!

1 arm sprints, I'd mess the other shoulder up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You can carry a stick in the working arm and shake it at the dog while escaping. The magic of turbo, I wish I could do this in real sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Talking about dedication..

https://i.imgur.com/rIgePve.gifv

I had to do that to rescue my own bike in James' Hospital in Dublin. Just walked in and out and had lost the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Anti-speeding campaign from Western Australia: if you speed repeatedly you risk having to cycle and thus losing your girlfriend.

https://www.bikebiz.com/.amp/news/cycling-is-slow-unsexy-says-oz-govt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Alek wrote: »
    You can carry a stick in the working arm and shake it at the dog while escaping. The magic of turbo, I wish I could do this in real sometimes!

https://www.grc.com/tqc/thequietcanine.htm Fit one of these to your bike and give a short blast upon a dogs approach - they'll scarper.

fit.jpg

The above is "Musguard" - I run em on the commuter and find them great. Problem is the Sunday bike won't accommodate such a guard and the traditional guards that do fit look terrible - at least to me. There are plenty of saddle mounted blades but I'm looking for something a little more group friendly. Such a thing exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

dahat wrote: »
    8 weeks endurance block?

Get a set of tri-bars and stick them pointing upwards from the handlebars. You'll be able to grip something without having to put too much weight through your arms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

\

Jaysus :eek:
    buffalo wrote: »
    Get a set of tri-bars and stick them pointing upwards from the handlebars. You'll be able to grip something without having to put too much weight through your arms.

Depends on the injury whether you can do that. Particularly with dislocations and dodgy shoulders you can't move the arm forward at all to rest on aero bars or grip anything. Unless that's not what you're suggesting, which is entirely possible!

I was once one armed and had months of turbo work, but didn't do any endurance stuff. Life is too short. I couldn't move my arm out from the body, so I got an extra body band, to go around above the elbow and keep the sling and arm stable and close to the body when turboing. I had had surgery though and the leaning forward wasn't that comfy.
    listen to your body, it's not worth pushing it/fcuking it up now, so soon after the injury.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

buffalo wrote: »

Do an Orla Walsh and go for the ironing board!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BVK8klSAVM7/?hl=en&taken-by=pedalingheroine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

That is genius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've to keep weight off left shoulder for a while yet but in the ladder stages this will be the aim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cycling is great and I'm one for doing it as much as possible and have gone back ridiculously early after injuries in the past. But this one needs to be properly looked after. Prioritize it first and the bike after...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cramcycle, if it is a Dublin Bus or Bus Eireann bus that pulled in to you, call the H&S people in the relevant company. There are cameras all over the busses these days and the H&S people will follow up. They will even advise you to go to the GardaND they will supply any evidence (camera footage) that they might have. It happened to a friend of mine driving by Liffey Valley one morning
    Reported along time ago, and re reported, despite having the BE driver on camera, admitting it, him telling me his cameras also worked, BE saying they had the footage. After a few days, the footage had disappeared, I followed up a few times but as with everything, they won because I was just to busy with life.
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Cycling is great and I'm one for doing it as much as possible and have gone back ridiculously early after injuries in the past. But this one needs to be properly looked after. Prioritize it first and the bike after...
    Same here, not from cycling but a knee injury in football. Felt fine soon after the operation but eventually the issues reemerged and never fully resolved. If a doctor says take 2 or 3 months off, you take 3 months, they are not saying it for sh1ts and giggles.

RobFowl wrote: »

I agree fully, what I plan on doing is 2 x 2hrz z2/Z3 just to keep me ticking over, for physical and mental benefit. The mental battle of an injury is often as bad as the physical.

I had a follow up yesterday, the doctor is very pleased with progress so far and surgery not needed. He has encouraged me to engage in very gentle Rom stuff for elbow plus gentle rotation in the pendulum position for the shoulder. If the turbo sessions do affect recovery then I will of course stop.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Reported along time ago, and re reported, despite having the BE driver on camera, admitting it, him telling me his cameras also worked, BE saying they had the footage. After a few days, the footage had disappeared, I followed up a few times but as with everything, they won because I was just to busy with life.

Same here, not from cycling but a knee injury in football. Felt fine soon after the operation but eventually the issues reemerged and never fully resolved. If a doctor says take 2 or 3 months off, you take 3 months, they are not saying it for sh1ts and giggles.

3 months off the road was what I was told but given okay for stationary biking.

Can't see that, because I don't have a FB account. Is it something to do with traffic around TCD? I saw an image on Twitter, but then didn't get a chance to read about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he proposes a two way cycle lane on nassau street, as this journey is three times longer in one direction than the other.

441905.png

also would eliminate a few traffic blackspots from the route.

Thanks for that! Seems very reasonable at first glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

loads of places around the city that need contra-flow, it's a PITA to cycle around the city centre currently.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Anti-speeding campaign from Western Australia: if you speed repeatedly you risk having to cycle and thus losing your girlfriend.

https://www.bikebiz.com/.amp/news/cycling-is-slow-unsexy-says-oz-govt

Campaign now dropped.
    http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/cycling-groups-outraged-at-wa-road-safety-videos-depicting-riders-as-losers-20180216-h0w82c.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I found it funny. It's memorable and causing a stir which is no bad thing with any campaign. Plus the Aussies have a mad sense of humour

Congratulations to whoever asked us for confirmation that they were in Carlingford yesterday. You cycled from Dublin I believe. Was it your friend we found a fair few kilometers back towards Greenore walking his bike? Hopefully he got to his destination safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Interesting option for long distance riders... (if you don't have a dynamo hub)

http://nrgstems.com/

Still at the design stage, I believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement