Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a new pre-ride check i have to perform now - the cat has started dropping cat toys into my cycling shoes. i have to check them for foreign objects before putting them on.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

After 18,500km my Spd-sl pedals need replacing...what's the longest anyone has got from a component?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

37 years from my poor battered liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Define "component". My commuter frame was made in 1994.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My Pancreas didn't even make it to year 4. I was disgusted when I went into hospital, caveat emptor etc. bunch of sharks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

colm18 wrote: »
    After 18,500km my Spd-sl pedals need replacing...what's the longest anyone has got from a component?

Not exactly a component but still have and occasionally use one of my first proper cycling jerseys, got it in 1987.

In terms of kit..
    I have a 1989 Shimano 105 front brake (caliper) on a bike still and near perfect.

My 47yr old arse is buggered though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

RobFowl wrote: »
    Not exactly a component but still have and occasionally use one of my first proper cycling jerseys, got it in 1987.

In terms of kit..
    I have a 1989 Shimano 105 front brake (caliper) on a bike still and near perfect.

My 47yr old arse is buggered though....

Regularly?...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Regularly?...

Depends on whether I am buying the drinks or not

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm18 wrote: »
    28,000 kms and counting on the original bottom bracket on one of my bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

28,000 kms and counting on the original bottom bracket on one of my bikes.

Do you expect to get a second week out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Not worthy of a thread for this question...

If a person wants to drive a support vehicle after a cycling ireland road race, do they need a cycling ireland license?

Chumpski wrote: »
    Not worthy of a thread for this question...

If a person wants to drive a support vehicle after a cycling ireland road race, do they need a cycling ireland license?

Yes they do. Doesn't need to be a full competition license or anything but they do need a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Waaaait the steepest gradient from Howth village to the summit is 7%?

I thought I was great for Single speeding up it this morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be surprised if that was the steepest gradient - i think it averages 5 or 6% for about 2km.
    the section past the church must be more than 7%.

just created a (private) segment for the bit past the church, it's claiming 10% on strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Waaaait the steepest gradient from Howth village to the summit is 7%?

I thought I was great for Single speeding up it this morning.
    Sounds like a gadget fail. On the left of the church I have seen 11% and on the right hand side I have seen 14%

7% max is from the Sutton side. The left side turn after the church from the Village must be 12-13% for a short while, if you go right I bet its >20% in one bleeding place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Alek wrote: »
    7% max is from the Sutton side. The left side turn after the church from the Village must be 12-13% for a short while, if you go right I bet its >20% in one bleeding place.

At least! but it gets it out of the way quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »

I did the Sutton side this morning then descended into the Village intending to loop back to the Sutton climb again.

Instead I got the bright idea to turn back at the church and climb back the way I'd come from. Ended up putting the foot down at the nsuravce of Nashville road but after the initial ramps I was surprised that it was easier and shorter.

I've never actually gone up the village side. May rectify that today

i've only ever gone up the village side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Nothing to do with cycling but I'm nursing some minor scratches after a tussle with my daughter's feisty black cat.

Picture the scene: 11pm in a quiet suburban bedroom. Child's cabin bed with sleeping child, cat lying like a cat-shaped draught excluder beside child. Of course the cat is sleeping on the far side of the child. A pair of baleful wee-coloured eyes flicker into life. She knows what's coming...

The mother suddenly realises that she has come without appeasing cat treats and will have to do this the hard way. The cat silently stretches and appraises the situation, also realising that the human is unarmed. The mother reaches an outstretched hand across her child's sleeping body and makes a grasp for the cat's neck. She misses!

The cat backs further away. The bed creaks as the woman reaches again, this time the cat silently strikes, claws digging into the woman's fleece. A smothered curse comes from the mother's mouth. The cat, triumphant, retreats to the furthest corner of the bed.

Her anger roused, the woman determines not to be bested by the feline. Climbing the steps of the bed and quickly diving for the cat, she clasps the beast in a firm grip. The cat twists, the bed creaks and the child's eyes open wide but unseeing.

Frozen in the moment, the mother mutters, "Back to sleep!" Reassured, the child rolls over. Still firmly grasping the protesting cat, the woman drags the cat across the child's body and stomps downstairs with the unimpressed cat under her arm.

Woman 1 - cat 0 but there will be a rematch...

Dogs are so much easier. Time for bed lad? Eyes open but doesn't budge. Want a treat fella? Up he leaps and does his excited turning over at the press where we keep them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Never approach a cat in that situation without an easily detached tribute, like a treat. Cats are also known to accept other items, like fingers arms and jugular veins, but detaching them causes other problems.

*eyes cat sleeping in the corner nervously*

i've only ever gone up the village side.

See you at the top around 3...

one hill i do want to tackle soon, that i've never been up, is kilmashogue. plan to pop out during lunch some time soon and banana myself on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

one hill i do want to tackle soon, that i've never been up, is kilmashogue. plan to pop out during lunch some time soon and banana myself on it.
    Good luck! It's the only hill I've ever been up that forced me to seriously consider whether cycling was the right pastime for me.

i'm running a 52/36 to 11/28 - may not be enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Pervert.

i'm running a 52/36 to 11/28 - may not be enough...

That will be a hard grind up the final wall. Remember to lean on the handlebars a bit, or your front wheel may lift... :)

• Advertisement

that would be the ultimate hero gesture - wheelieing up kilmashogue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement