Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

that would be the ultimate hero gesture - wheelieing up kilmashogue.
    OK, well Kilmashogue flattens out considerably in the second half, so you're best off hammering it for the first half and then coasting through for the last bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just checked it out on strava - about 10% longer than howth to the summit, from the village side; and nearly double the average gradient (9.4% vs. 5.7%)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any better option than Conti GP 4000s? Looking for new 28mm tyres for the summer good bike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

just checked it out on strava - about 10% longer than howth to the summit, from the village side; and nearly double the average gradient (9.4% vs. 5.7%)

I've just done the village side.. up at the summit now. I found it slightly easier than coming up Sutton side, the inclines are steeper but shorter which suits me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a good honest hill - the steeper sections are nearer the bottom. it doesn't punish you with the steep sections when you're already tired.

• Advertisement

it's a good honest hill - the steeper sections are nearer the bottom. it doesn't punish you with the steep sections when you're already tired.

Most of the effort needed was just coming out of the village alright.

I'm in college this weekend but after that I'm going to focus my efforts on the mountains. I really want to improve my climbing, I can't keep putting it off. Between that the weightlifting, healthy eating and the JiuJitsu my engine should be ready for Lejog.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    OK, well Kilmashogue flattens out considerably in the second half, so you're best off hammering it for the first half and then coasting through for the last bit.

Only hammering that comes to mind when I try to go up Kilmashogue at anything other than a snails pace is the sound of nails going into my coffin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Most of the effort needed was just coming out of the village alright.

I'm in college this weekend but after that I'm going to focus my efforts on the mountains. I really want to improve my climbing, I can't keep putting it off. Between that the weightlifting, healthy eating and the JiuJitsu my engine should be ready for Lejog.

I'm actually on the hill climb improvement program myself.

Mostly consists of vomiting. At least it won't be vomiting three cheese and spinach gnocchi again for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It's not the average gradient you have to worry about, its the standard deviation. For your second rep, turn off at the woods and go cross country to three rock. Much nicer downhill at the far end, IMHO, Kilmashogue is a rather unpleasant descent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've just done the village side.. up at the summit now. I found it slightly easier than coming up Sutton side, the inclines are steeper but shorter which suits me

Try it again but right at the church

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    Try it again but right at the church

Yes boss...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Yes boss...
    Be in a lower gear than you think you need. Trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yes boss...
    Then turn right onto Windgate Rd. instead of heading straight for the summit.

Then turn right onto Windgate Rd. instead of heading straight for the summit.

It feels like cheating if I don't finish it off up this hideous little road. One of the worst discoveries i've had on the bike :pac:

May try that tomorrow after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lumen wrote: »
    Good luck! It's the only hill I've ever been up that forced me to seriously consider whether cycling was the right pastime for me.
    WTF? Kilmashogue is relatively flat compared to Priest's Leap or the Gap of Mamore!

The last time I went up Mamore, my nose started to bleed as I neared the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

that would be the ultimate hero gesture - wheelieing up kilmashogue.
    A Ras rider pulled a wheelie on the Gap of Mamore last year. (The camera doesn't do it justice - it's much steeper than it looks).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Never approach a cat in that situation without an easily detached tribute, like a treat. Cats are also known to accept other items, like fingers arms and jugular veins, but detaching them causes other problems.

What would Jesus Richard Ballantine do?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Kristoff looks like he ate even more Chirstmas cake than I did.

442490.jpg

Still didn't stop him from winning the other day though.

and Kittle who looks in shape compared to that can't get near the pointy end of the finishes so far. Lead outs not working for him.

• Advertisement

He needs a lot of sustenance to carry off that sheer, white skinsuit.

is it just me who thought the photo - or the garb - is not flattering, and that he seems to be carrying his sustenance with him?

is it just me who thought the photo - or the garb - is not flattering, and that he seems to be carrying his sustenance with him?

I reckon it's a bad angle/breathing in situation. He's a very fit person. Stood up he'd be a rake in comparison to a normal person.

Still an extremely brave skinsuit though.

Has to be, looks like he's a beer belly there otherwise lol

In Tour of Abu Dhabi news from today , echelons!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Had to drop a letter off in town after dropping the kids off to school, so the first time I tried College Green around rush hour, with the added complication of being on a bakfiets. It was really slow. What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I tried College Green around rush hour, with the added complication of being on a bakfiets. It was really slow. What a mess.

Try it on a rainy day, after 5pm, in the dark, and you may run out of your pardon-my-french-vocabulary to describe the experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mind your own business or tell them.

So on my commute, some mornings I encounter another commuter. He is in or about the same speed as me, sometimes faster, sometimes slower. First of all he got rid of his TT bars, which is great as he was bouncing all over the lane with no brakes but his saddle is upto high on his bike and he is rocking back and forth. I had the same issue and someone pointed it out to me years ago, and is solved alot of issues.

He is clearly (to me, maybe not to him) very competitive as when ever I overtake, I can hear the effort made to catch and pass me out.

His leg is locking out and if he dropped the saddle an inch or two, or maybe three, his knees would be in better shape but he would probably be far faster and stronger at taking off. (I think his bike is too large in general but anyway)

I want to say it to him, as my own knees cry inside when I meet him, and he would also be faster than me IMO if he made this change, so he wouldn't have to bust a gut to pass me in future as I think, overall, he is stronger than me.

Would you be a busy body/nosey parker and say it, or would you just ignore it? I have had people point out issues with my bike and stuff over the years, and by and large, it has been well received, is there a nice way to say this or is it his problem and he can live with it.

In case it is anyone here, you turn in at UCD, you used to have TT bars, and you travel in from the Cabinteely direction.

i'd tell a motorist if there wheel was going flat, or a light was bust, surely this is no different?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'd tell him. Just making sure I sound friendly and not patronizing...

The same way I told a few cyclists that their rear light is f*** blinding: with a big smile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Similarly, I told a lady yesterday as I pulled up beside her at a red light that her jacket (a long coat with a split in the back) was covering her rear light and as such it was ineffective.

She looked at me like I was on another planet!

• Advertisement

It's a tough one. There's a woman who races on the road and her saddle is way too high, she's rocking all over the place. I really, really want to say it to her but I assume she's comfy at it as it's the second year I've seen her at it. Plus I'm no expert, different strokes and all that. I do wince when I see it though.
    I get unsolicited advice quite a bit, sometimes it's annoying, sometimes it's awesome, sometimes it's annoying, as much to do with the humour I'm in as anything else.
    It's the way you say it. If he's dropped the tribars maybe he's open to experimenting with things so now'd be a good time.

On a side note I find competitive commuters extremely annoying. Racing is racing, commuting is commuting, I don't understand why people can't just do their own thing.

On another side note, amongst the most awkward commuting moments for me are when you're going pretty much the same speed or marginally faster than someone else in front of you. Previous attempts to share the load in showed they hadn't ridden like that before (rolling over). I don't know why it's just a little awkward, I don't pass them out and keep my distance but it feels like I'm stalking them.
    As for people sitting on without saying anything...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement