Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yeah, it's interesting that. I've commented to various people and had responses varying from "Oh sorry" to "What the fsck business of yours is it".

It's astonishing the number of people who have rear lights that are on but:
    • too dim
    • pointing the wrong way
    • obscured by rear rack/panier/clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

nee wrote: »
    On a side note I find competitive commuters extremely annoying. Racing is racing, commuting is commuting, I don't understand why people can't just do their own thing.
    Loser talk. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

On another side note, amongst the most awkward commuting moments for me are when you're going pretty much the same speed or marginally faster than someone else in front of you. Previous attempts to share the load in showed they hadn't ridden like that before (rolling over). I don't know why it's just a little awkward, I don't pass them out and keep my distance but it feels like I'm stalking them.
    As for people sitting on without saying anything...

I particularly hate when I find myself behind a woman going at the same speed as me.

If I overtake I am that guy who can't handle a woman being ahead of him and has to establish his masculinity.

If I do what I would generally do with a guy and go, meh no point overtaking just to sit in front of him, I am sitting back there purely to stare at her bum, especially if lycra is in play.

In fact most probably the rider in front doesn't even notice me and is not thinking about who is cycling behind her at all.

Nevertheless I generally find myself overtaking, preferring to be seen as an insecure fool than a pervert. If I get passed back though I draw the line and just sit behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Mind your own business.

Commuting I pass people daily on bikes too big, bikes too small, saddles too high, saddles too low, no rear lights, non-working rear lights, obscured rear lights, front lights on the rear, pedalling slowly in the hardest gear they can turn over, people trying to draft busses up the N11 on wet days, the works. I actually knocked on the window of a small van driver last week to tell him his rear lights weren't working, the usual with new cars and drivers assuming their external lights are on because the dash is lit. He thanked me for letting him know. The next day, dusk, and there he was again, no lights.

I CBA anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Fian wrote: »
    I particularly hate when I find myself behind a woman going at the same speed as me.

If I overtake I am that guy who can't handle a woman being ahead of him and has to establish his masculinity.

If I do what I would generally do with a guy and go, meh no point overtaking just to sit in front of him, I am sitting back there purely to stare at her bum, especially if lycra is in play.

In fact most probably the rider in front doesn't even notice me and is not thinking about who is cycling behind her at all.

Nevertheless I generally find myself overtaking, preferring to be seen as an insecure fool than a pervert. If I get passed back though I draw the line and just sit behind.

I have never once thought someone sitting in behind me would have been doing so to look at my ass. Until now. I'm going to pretend I don't know that now :pac:
    With summer comes the shouts from cars and vans :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

As a lad I was very slight 9.5st 5'7 and used have long blonde flowing locks, used to get a great kick when a car or van passed and you'd see them check the rear view and the horror to realise it was a lad on the bike , was icing on the cake if you got a shout or a whistle before they realised :D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Yeah, it's interesting that. I've commented to various people and had responses varying from "Oh sorry" to "What the fsck business of yours is it".

It's astonishing the number of people who have rear lights that are on but:
    • too dim
    • pointing the wrong way
    • obscured by rear rack/panier/clothing

My own personal favourite is seeing people with red lights on the front and white lights on the back.

"eh, 'scuse me... your lights are on the wrong way around..."

*Looks at me like i'm speaking martian*

"...the red light goes on the back?.... like the cars?"

"oh!"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    Mind your own business or tell them...
    Whatever about strangers but my pet hate - the club member who comes out for one or two club rides in the year and proceeds to gives out tit bits of advice as he does the rounds on the roll overs. Sometimes it even extends to telling others what they should be eating at the coffee stop. Feck off!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once passed a woman while climbing a hill near the naul, and she passed some comment about her being so slow, or making her look bad, or something similar - in good humour, anyway.
    i didn't point out to her that she was climbing a steep hill on the big chainring and thus making heavy weather of it, not sure if i would in the same situation again - not to someone i don't know who was being friendly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I told someone last week their rear tyre was flat (car) the passenger gave a wave of thanks and driver a look of dismay at the bad luck.

Then I pointed to front wheel too and they both looked rather downtrodden....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Weepsie wrote: »
    I told someone last week their rear tyre was flat (car) the passenger gave a wave of thanks and driver a look of dismay at the bad luck.

Then I pointed to front wheel too and they both looked rather downtrodden....

Me being a bit if a sh1t at times will often look at a drivers front wheel when stopped at a red, make a confused looking face and then shake the head just to wind them up. I like to amuse myself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

VW 1 wrote: »
    Similarly, I told a lady yesterday as I pulled up beside her at a red light that her jacket (a long coat with a split in the back) was covering her rear light and as such it was ineffective.

She looked at me like I was on another planet!
    I do this sometimes, on the grounds that they've bothered to put on a light, so they'd probably like it to be visible.

Seems reasonable to tell someone if they're doing their knees in. I've told a few people their saddles were too low, but only extreme examples, cycling like Groucho Marx used to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's a tough one. There's a woman who races on the road and her saddle is way too high, she's rocking all over the place. I really, really want to say it to her but I assume she's comfy at it as it's the second year I've seen her at it. Plus I'm no expert, different strokes and all that. I do wince when I see it though.

I've been in the cavalcade with a seasoned mechanic and bike seller. From his diagnoses, it seemed like every second or third rider we passed had the saddle at the wrong height, wrong sized frame, handlebars too far forward, etc...

buffalo wrote: »
    I've been in the cavalcade with a seasoned mechanic and bike seller. From his diagnoses, it seemed like every second or third rider we passed had the saddle at the wrong height, wrong sized frame, handlebars too far forward, etc...

I'd say nearly everyone has something wrong with their position if you're going by The book. This woman is extreme though. I like to be in front of her cos of the rocking. I haven't the energy to wince in sympathy and die mid race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If I took the time to tell every cyclist I meet about what they are doing wrong... I'd never get to where I want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Some people are doing things "wrong" perfectly aware of what they're doing (no lights at night, for example). But there are a few people doing something that can be changed slightly much to their betterment. There are a lot fewer of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

the club member who comes out for one or two club rides in the year and proceeds to gives out tit bits of advice as he does the rounds on the roll overs!

My response once, "hi I'm Xxxxxxxx, my bike has been in the club longer than you" :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

subscriber only - it's about the demise of city centre shops, many suffering from online competition.

but i had not known that mcdonald's cycles in dublin city centre was shutting up shop.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/the-economy-may-be-booming-but-irish-shops-are-dying-1.3402094

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I briefly remember someone recommending a person who was good at sewing/repairing cycling gear, can anyone remember their name?

py wrote: »
    I briefly remember someone recommending a person who was good at sewing/repairing cycling gear, can anyone remember their name?
    The resident seamster Gadetra posted about the difficulty of doing this.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057183476

• Advertisement

py wrote: »

Repairs can be done, and aren't that stressful but I'd always say you can't guarantee repairs on lycra. That said they can be absolutely fine depends on where it is and the type of fabric it is - not all kit is created equal :D
    Recommendation wise I am a seamster* (but don't work in it anymore) so I haven't tried places out, and have been disappointed when I have but I need a job doing and had no time last year and used Fitz alterations there between Jervis street and Capel street and was actually happy with what they did. It wasn't lycra though so I don't know what their work on that would be like.

Also kudos to lumen for the ungendered job title :D

*it's like bikes, you end up with several sewing machines. I have cut down to three now. What's kind of nice is that me,my mother, grandmother and great grandmother have/had singer sewing machines from each of our respective eras. They're beautiful things, and utterly similar in lots of ways (electricity and tables notwithstanding!). And as long as they're serviced they go as well the day they were made as several decades Oh maybe near a hundred years in the case of my great grandmothers one- on. I can and do use the same bobbins and bits in my machine that my great grandmother used in hers. I think cycling could really do with this kind of compatability.

plus, they're pedal operated too! well, some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...but i had not known that mcdonald's cycles in dublin city centre was shutting up shop.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/the-economy-may-be-booming-but-irish-shops-are-dying-1.3402094
    They've had a big sign up for the past few weeks saying 'Closing/Retirement Sale'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

As a lad I was very slight 9.5st 5'7 and used have long blonde flowing locks, used to get a great kick when a car or van passed and you'd see them check the rear view and the horror to realise it was a lad on the bike , was icing on the cake if you got a shout or a whistle before they realised :D

And now as a lady?

I see that Astana are on the ropes. I know it affects people and families but I'd be delighted to see the back of that team.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    And now as a lady?

Blocking you now Doyle :D

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I see that Astana are on the ropes. I know it affects people and families but I'd be delighted to see the back of that team.

Indeed,I'd be more upset to see BMC go , think they are having similar issues at the minute. I thought Tag were taking over this year, at least I recall some talk of that around the time of the Giro or Tour last year. Clearly didn't happen.

Blocking you now Doyle :D

Don't worry, I'm taken already so you're not at risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Brilliant review of these handlebars http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/zipp-sl-70-aero-road-handlebar/rp-prod156450

I'm in college and supposed to be working on an assignment, instead I am browsing and building a wishlist :pac:

• Advertisement

Brilliant review of these handlebars http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/zipp-sl-70-aero-road-handlebar/rp-prod156450

I'm in college and supposed to be working on an assignment, instead I am browsing and building a wishlist :pac:

I got a heavily discounted set of Zipp ergo bars from Planet-X a few years ago.

The downside is that even though they're not that comfortable, I can't bring myself to replace them. So I suffer the discomfort because I like the idea of them. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement