Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nee wrote: »
    ... I wonder how weird it would look if a 33 year old woman went out and started making a snowperson on her own...:pac:
    Probably not as weird as a 49 year old male doing it on his own.

(It's very powdery though - the stuff coming tomorrow is wetter and will roll/stick a lot better).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

(It's very powdery though - the stuff coming tomorrow is wetter and will roll/stick a lot better).

LOVE IT!

I shall follow your advice and snowperson tomorrow. It came into lovely snowballs for me earlier.
    I made a snowangel :o
    The park is like Berlin at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Dublin Bus have cancelled all services for tomorrow. Where I lived as a child we got a lot of snow in the late 80's early 90's and the busses rarely stopped. Making such a call today is a bit mad I'd have thought.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

LOSER

I'm only 47 and it's fine for young fellas, auld lads like you should stick to pipe smoking and complaining about chilblains :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm gonna go out and build an igloo. Use a 10lt bucket like a giant sandcastle bucket and get stacking.

NamelessPhil, who won't be seeing 21 again.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna go out and build an igloo. Use a 10lt bucket like a giant sandcastle bucket and get stacking.

NamelessPhil, who won't be seeing 21 again.

Oh I never thought of building an igloo...looks over at buckets...
    Will you take the child as a cover?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

LOVE IT!

I shall follow your advice and snowperson tomorrow. It came into lovely snowballs for me earlier.
    I made a snowangel :o
    The park is like Berlin at the moment!

Full of Germans?

RobFowl wrote: »
    LOSER

I'm only 47 and it's fine for young fellas, auld lads like you should stick to pipe smoking and complaining about chilblains :cool:

I was out throwing snowballs at whomever passed by my house!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Dublin Bus have cancelled all services for tomorrow. Where I lived as a child we got a lot of snow in the late 80's early 90's and the busses rarely stopped. Making such a call today is a bit mad I'd have thought.
    there are gusts of up to 100km/h predicted. i don't think we got that in 82 or 2010.

Thought our dog was sufficiently worn out from a half hours worth of throwing snowballs for him to chase so myself and the little one came in for coffee and hot chocolate. Heard a clatter at the back door thought a bird had flown into it or something but no it was just himself letting me know he wasn't as fed up of the snowballs as we were.

• Advertisement

One of our cats likes chasing snowballs too. The other two are curled up in a ball ignoring the weather.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I was out throwing snowballs at whomever passed by my house!
    Note to self - avoid cycing along Lusky's road today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Note to self - avoid cycing along Lusky's road today.

I drove by and even going at 15mph in an estate he missed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

. I wonder how weird it would look if a 33 year old woman went out and started making a snowperson on her own...:pac:
    I think you will get much weirder looks if you call it a snowperson.

Remember to make an even quota of both snowballs & snowvaries/snowovaries!

RobFowl wrote: »
    I drove by and even going at 15mph in an estate he missed ;)

15mph in an estate is very reckless. Especially in this weather! Respect our childrens lives!

Igloo in progress. 8 year old for scale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you appear to have constructed it out of giant marshmallows.

Igloo in progress. 8 year old for scale.

You can't call it an igloo anymore. It has to be called first generation homestead.

Magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Roomy 1 Bed studio in a fantastic location with expansive views and free air conditioning during warmer months. - €2000/mo, first and last required "

• Advertisement

I used the largest plant pot I could find and a shovel. The corbelling technique is used in the construction of monastic beehive huts and Newgrange passage tomb. I always knew an archaeology degree would come in handy!

It took me two hours and several neighbours took photos. The local small scrotes have trashed it now.

I'll be back out with a washing up basin to create rectangular bricks next time.

All the fun was in the building.

was it angled to catch the rising sun on the spring equinox?

Entrance was west facing, I made sure the back wall faced the prevailing winds. Once all the gaps between the blocks were filled it was pretty good as a shelter.

If it had stayed in place and with more snow overnight it would have looked awesome tomorrow.

when i was a kid in 1982, one of the neighbours who was a builder scraped up all the snow on our cul de sac and piled it into a couple of large piles. it was heaven for kids - massive snow forts with tunnels we dug through them, the works. in hindsight, it's gas no-one was killed in a collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The local small scrotes have trashed it now.

I'll be back out with a washing up basin to create rectangular bricks next time.
    That's what I used back in the 80s. There were some supports in the middle which were later removed once the full arc was complete. People make out like the ancients must have had alien help or something but we figured it out -and without google! I remember it being really quite warm inside.

The bricks that come out of the basins are tapered, which is beneficial if trying to build a sloped wall.

I wondered if it was going to be smashed. Ours was in the back garden because of this and I remember we used to make giant snowballs and roll them down the side passage, smash and reform into the washing up basins, and adding new snow as filler. I remember "stealing" snow from neighbours and being told to ask, they must have been delighted as we cleaned out their driveways. We would even go into their back gardens and clear them out too.

Saw a video of an igloo in Coolock, a load of the locals inside drinking cans. I'll be honest and say the kid inside me thought it was mighty craic.
    I came into work today - I've college work to do so took the opportunity. I had to go to three shops to get milk for my tea and eventually my local petrol station just poured me some milk from the coffee machine in subway (which was was closed). It's madness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I thought the cleared shelves was a bit of marketing genius from LIDL and ALDI.

My office backs onto an small industrial estate and there's a garage around there, the lads are there and playing in a EvoV. I want to play too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Finger hovering over the trigger on a Vitus Dee... I've been hunting for a Wolfgang replacement but our little snow blip has really accentuated the need

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement