Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Raam wrote: »
    Points = try to win.
    Devil = try not to lose.

Disagree.

Points = try to won
    Devil = try to win. Every sprint you position yourself right so you are not eliminated is a part of winning. It's hard to be far enough in front to not get boxed in as the surge happens every lap, but not so far in front you've wasted energy for the whole race (as in points too, you don't want to blow your lights out at the start) yet far enough ahead not to be eliminated. You don't have to win every sprint in a points race to win either, you just need to score enough points in comparison to your rival, which makes it way more calculation than an Elimination but there are a lot of transferrable skills at work.

I say all that as probably the worst elimination rider in Sundrive. It scares the bejaysus out of me so unless it's a friendly race I take myself out in the first sprint every time :o

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gadetra wrote: »
    Disagree.

Points = try to won
    Devil = try to win.
    Y'see - Points is winning in the past. Devil is winning in the present .....

Beasty wrote: »
    Y'see - Points is winning in the past. Devil is winning in the present .....

I like it so I'm leaving it!

ETA No individual pursuit in the Olympics is awful. That's a massive loss IMO. It isn't the most interesting one to watch if you're not into it though, that possibly went against it?

Actually, how come cyclocross isn't in the Olympics? Mountain biking is in there and that's a newer discipline, BMX the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Actually, how come cyclocross isn't in the Olympics? Mountain biking is in there and that's a newer discipline, BMX the same.

They tried to get it into the winter olympics but because snow isn't a requirement for CX they decided that it wasn't worthy, or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They tried to get it into the winter olympics but because snow isn't a requirement for CX they decided that it wasn't worthy, or something like that.
    Brings me back to an earlier point - if it gets in another cycling event would have to be removed

I personally would prefer it I the Omnium was dropped to be replaced by IP and a scratch or points race but it's not possible as there are only 10 medals available to track. Introduce CX and that may reduce to 8......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    Brings me back to an earlier point - if it gets in another cycling event would have to be removed

I personally would prefer it I the Omnium was dropped to be replaced by IP and a scratch or points race but it's not possible as there are only 10 medals available to track. Introduce CX and that may reduce to 8......

There are something like 34 swimming events and 18 cycling events at the summer olympics. I don't know why one event has to be removed in order to introduce another. Anyway, no cycling in the winter olympics so that should not be a concern.

There are something like 34 swimming events and 18 cycling events at the summer olympics. I don't know why one event has to be removed in order to introduce another. Anyway, no cycling in the winter olympics so that should not be a concern.

I wonder why this isn't looked at? Or what process is gone through / who gets to to determine how many medals a sport can have?

ETA No individual pursuit in the Olympics is awful. That's a massive loss IMO. It isn't the most interesting one to watch if you're not into it though, that possibly went against it?
    They kept in 3 sprint events - Sprint and Team Sprint as initially that allowed a few more riders to participate. They also stuck with the Kierin. That only left 2 medals and they basically said TP allowed 4/5 riders to race and the Omnium provided a solo endurance option which filled quite a bit of time while covering off the scratch and points races

Before London they limited it to 10 medals in Beijing, but split it 7 to the men (Sprint, TS, Kierin, IP, TP, Madison and Points) and 3 to the women (sprint, IP, Points). London took the decision to even up the medals between men and women but had to replace the IP, Madison and Points with the Omnium

In 2004 there were 2 more medals for track but no BMX medals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

A happy clothes horse is a cycling gear laden clothes horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

A happy clothes horse is a cycling gear laden clothes horse.

article-2119603-124C54F1000005DC-344_634x376.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

What? No hi-vis on the horses?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I suppose those horse lycra suits are open at the back. Need mind bleach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Or the Walkinstown Roundabout. Why, no sir, after you. No, by all means, be my guest.

When I was learning to drive my instructor had a particular like to bring me through it every time, the bastard. I would just roll up and put the boot down when I saw a gap, as it required for that roundabout. But I'd get an earful every time and he'd continue to bring me through it util I came to a full stop, take my time, and progress slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

So the WeightWeenie contest finished and my bike ended 30th out of the 151 (I won a jersey yei :P), not bad considering the competition.. but I shall never forgive those who voted this abomination one place higher than mine.

P.s. Thanks anyone who voted for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

That ****ing Parlee @ 38? 12-68 cassette??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I slowed down and stopped at a red light, gradual slow down and came to a stop at the lights, a good 5 seconds after I stop some donkey cycles into the back of me. Do mavic do scythed wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

This might go under a 'yet one more' heading, but Dublin Inquirer are trying to map bike collisions in Dublin.

http://dublininquirer.com/2015/10/20/bicycle-collision-tracker/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Oslo to ban cars by 2019

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/oslo-set-to-ban-cars-from-city-centre-by-2019-1.2397666
    Under the plans, the council will build at least 60km of bicycle lanes by 2019, the date of the next municipal elections, and provide a “massive boost” of investment in public transport.

A BBC World Service radio report of the plan this morning talked about diesel cars having huge emissions and filling the air with particulates, causing asthma and other respiratory diseases.

By the way, anyone got a link to the blog by the Irish guy cycling home from Japan? Changed my search engine after Google threw up a sign-away-your-life notice and can't find it. Also, what was that tiny, effective water filter he was using… or was that him?

Oh, wait, this was the water filter http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FA2RLX2?keywords=travel%20water%20filter&qid=1445499885&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Can't find yer man, though. Last I read he was terrifyingly attacked in Mongolia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Oslo to ban cars by 2019

Copenhagenize has a more critical piece on this: http://www.copenhagenize.com/2015/10/oslo-gets-its-gameface-on.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

By the way, anyone got a link to the blog by the Irish guy cycling home from Japan? Changed my search engine after Google threw up a sign-away-your-life notice and can't find it. Also, what was that tiny, effective water filter he was using… or was that him?

Oh, wait, this was the water filter http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FA2RLX2?keywords=travel%20water%20filter&qid=1445499885&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Can't find yer man, though. Last I read he was terrifyingly attacked in Mongolia.
    Crazy guy on a bike...

buffalo wrote: »
    Copenhagenize has a more critical piece on this: http://www.copenhagenize.com/2015/10/oslo-gets-its-gameface-on.html

Thanks. Nice piece from the same blog on elegant and useful things that are no longer on bicycles: http://www.copenhagenize.com/2014/03/bicycle-design-archeology-top-ten.html
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Crazy guy on a bike...

Thanks! Seems he's been off the bike ever since, with one slashed hand, one broken knuckle and other smaller injuries. He's now planning to fly back to Almata and cycle through China rather than Mongolia, starting November. Not sure he's thinking sensibly, with winter closing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Thanks. Nice piece from the same blog on elegant and useful things that are no longer on bicycles: http://www.copenhagenize.com/2014/03/bicycle-design-archeology-top-ten.html

A feature of his output seems to be confidently stated imprecise analogies.
    Sure, almost every bicycle in Denmark and the Netherlands and all mainstream bicycle cities have chainguards. Duh. It's the most obvious addition to a bicycle along with fenders. Riding without one is like skating without blades.

I think that would be "wheels" rather than chainguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Cyclist seen in Peter Sagan's national champ coloured TS shorts in Sandymount this morning. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Cyclist seen in Peter Sagan's national champ coloured TS shorts in Sandymount this morning. WTF?

Well now that he's world champ he won't be needing them for the next year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The importance of signaling while out cycling...

Ouch...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The importance of signaling while out cycling...

Ouch...

I thought he went under it! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Not even signalling but simply looking around...

• Advertisement

London 6 day is back on. The pace they go around behind those derneys is incredible. I reckon they are averaging just shy of 70 km/h and hitting 75 or more on occasions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement