Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My mum built me and my brother a proper wooden sled with iron runners in the early 80s.We were the posh kids in the neighborhood.
    My grandad built one for us in the 60's - and the kids had it out today!

Unfortunately it needs properly "caked" snow but it operates as well now as it did 50 years ago

P_1 wrote: »

That magnificent bastard!!!!!!! Don't read the comments though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Idleater wrote: »
    I'll have to check, but I think it's still up home.

It's still there and ready for use. Shame I've to work (from home) tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

P_1 wrote: »

Looks like Peter Buggle to me. Hard as Nails, and a brilliant cyclist. That man is a legend. IIRC has medalled at World MTB vets championships in the past.

Enduro wrote: »
    Looks like Peter Buggle to me. Hard as Nails, and a brilliant cyclist. That man is a legend. IIRC has medalled at World MTB vets championships in the past.

Could be 100% on the mark there , deffo looks and sounds like him with this for reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Looks like Peter Buggle to me....
    Interview with him on Morning Ireland just now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

People get very up in arms about folk going out running and cycling in this. It's just snow. Right equipment and keep your eyes peeled and there is no danger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

People get very up in arms about folk going out running and cycling in this. It's just snow. Right equipment and keep your eyes peeled and there is no danger.

I remember sending a pic to our kansas lab in 2010 of our snow fall (I was the only one who made it in), they sent me back a pic of Kansas mild snow storm and the fact they all made it in. Put things in perspective. We really don't deal with anything minor very well, and it is minor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Interview with him on Morning Ireland just now.
    is it being treated as a lighthearted piece, or is he getting stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

CramCycle wrote: »
    I remember sending a pic to our kansas lab in 2010 of our snow fall (I was the only one who made it in), they sent me back a pic of Kansas mild snow storm and the fact they all made it in. Put things in perspective. We really don't deal with anything minor very well, and it is minor.

In fairness they’re freakishly efficient over there. On a visit to Kansas City, 10 years ago, I went out in clear weather, and came back 4 hours later to 6 feet of snow, and EVERY road ploughed perfectly, even the little residential ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

This thread will hit 10k posts in about 60 days going by current average posting rates. I'm sure that will delight one member of the forum! :D

We better start the campaign for

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II III **off topic discussion**

It really is the logical choice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In fairness they’re freakishly efficient over there. On a visit to Kansas City, 10 years ago, I went out in clear weather, and came back 4 hours later to 6 feet of snow, and EVERY road ploughed perfectly, even the little residential ones.

https://twitter.com/JudithFlanders/status/958072934396039168

also, according to a canadian i know, we have 'the wrong kind of snow' here. where she's from - alberta - when it gets cold, it gets *cold* so the snow stays dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The Local Authorities probably have the infrastructure to deal with heavy snow and extreme cold built up over the years?

Vehicles are probably kitted as standard with winter tyres, for winter, snow chains; and people probably carry shovels, extra clothing etc. They also grow up learning to drive on ice, and you average driver is probably pretty good in winter conditions.

Would it really be a good spending of public and private money, so we could be as good as Kansas or wherever, for a once a decade event?

I almost convinced myself about 10 years ago to spend a week in Finland driving S3's on ice and snow; it was a little costly though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

He's pretty handy on a motor bike as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

We really don't deal with anything minor very well, and it is minor.

We don't deal with extraordinary events for Ireland, not that we don't deal with minor events. I lived in southern California and their reaction to persistent heavy rain, unusual for them, had the same response. Europeans or those from elsewhere in north America find the media and public's reaaction equally bemusing. There's a TV show on Netflix about stringers around LA and they even have a bit of them running around looking for stories because of the rain and how LA goes to ****.

ford2600 wrote: »
    ......Would it really be a good spending of public and private money, so we could be as good as Kansas or wherever, for a once a decade event?...
    This.

I even wonder if it feasible for Dublin Airport to have those heavy duty snow ploughs when I see them parked up round the back for 99.5% of the year. It would be much more cost effective to contract them but I suppose no contractor is going to spend big money on equipment which will see little use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Surprised not to see you running up there in a pair of shorts and a tshirt? ;)

nowt to do with cycling, how the pileup happened on the M62 in the UK:

https://www.facebook.com/saj.hussain.129/videos/10212703600439533/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The only excuse could be a cyclist on the motorway and the first vehicle had to slam on the brakes!

it's amazing how much faith people put in their cars. all last night, we could see cars driving up and down the road outside at speeds close to the speed limit, and it was like an ice rink. i saw a car do a 180 avoiding another car which lost traction pulling away at lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Don't think that's the UK (unless they've suddenly switched to driving on the right)

you know, that is an excellent point.
    and i've just seen the text at top right saying iowa.
    duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Excellent point but the result is the same. Four wheels does not make driving on snow and ice very safe.

I know it's sped up but I was fearing for a few people who'd left their cars there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some lad posted the original, which appears normal speed.

you know, that is an excellent point.
    and i've just seen the text at top right saying iowa.
    duh.
    The bull nosed trucks were also an instant giveaway.

99% of artics in Europe are 'cab overs' (i.e. driver sits over engine) as truck overall length regulations are tighter.

Maybe it's just the video but I'm not seeing lights in the video, either on the rear or from on coming traffic on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'd love to think this was someone on the east coast today:

https://twitter.com/CyclingHubTV/status/969201075516530688

buffalo wrote: »
    I'd love to think this was someone on the east coast today:

https://twitter.com/CyclingHubTV/status/969201075516530688
    LOL :D Pure class!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Is anyone here around Celbridge? I need to get there tomorrow. Roads look like they’re blocked but I might drive to Clonsilla and fat bike the rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement