Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Finally finished! :)

Polar bear for scale!

444338.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2Fl3q2XhfQ8oCkm1Ts4%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

People get very up in arms about folk going out running and cycling in this. It's just snow. Right equipment and keep your eyes peeled and there is no danger.

It's the runners who go out without hat, buff or gloves that grind my gears. Can't for the life of me understand the thinking (or lack of) behind this in weather like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    It's the runners who go out without hat, buff or gloves that grind my gears. Can't for the life of me understand the thinking (or lack of) behind this in weather like this.

Cos some of us get super super warm and have to take them off anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I overheat when walking if I wear a cap or buff - nevermind running. I presume those people are the same.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Finally finished! :)...
    Aren't they supposed to have a sort of entrance hall thingy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

444354.jpg

Today I made a snow cat. I think I'll make a zoo. Tomorrow, giant snail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Aren't they supposed to have a sort of entrance hall thingy?

:eek: It was hard enough to make that one!

Any way these lads didn't bother with one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3pd-wxNEKQ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Enduro wrote: »
    Looks like Peter Buggle to me. Hard as Nails, and a brilliant cyclist. That man is a legend. IIRC has medalled at World MTB vets championships in the past.
    i just watched the video again - he explicitly states at the beginning that his name is peter buggle.

• Advertisement

i just watched the video again - he explicitly states at the beginning that his name is peter buggle.
    I was wondering about that yesterday - why people were speculating about his identity when he stated his name. I suspected they may have been watching without sound (i.e. at work?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

:) Just watched again. Don't know how missed hearing that the first time (which I did).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Surprised not to see you running up there in a pair of shorts and a tshirt? ;)

Oh I was out alright. JFs, Devils elbow, big lap of Glencree and back again. Sally Gap out and back would be a stretch for a training run (But definitely feasible).

Met one MTBer coming the other direction as I was heading back towards the Devils Elbow. Was wondering who would be powering up the snowy slopes with style. Twas Mr Seymour on his commute home.

Shorts and t-shirt - no way! Any eejit can be uncomfortable. I was in tons of toasty gear, happy as Larry.

Enduro wrote: »
    ... Twas Mr Seymour on his commute home....
    Great stuff! :)

I would love to be out now dicking around on a fat bike or in huge horsepower Evo with snow tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I would love to be out now dicking around

I'd love to be out today too.

Well, technically I am, but rather on a bed in Crumlin hospital watching my son breathe normal again, after cold air induced asthma attack. Aftermath of 3 wild hours in Sundrive park yesterday.

Fair play to the ambulance crew, absolute top lads, managed to stay in great spirits after 50 (!) call outs today.

Same with the hospital stuff that decided to stay in. One of the nurses told me she had not slept in her home in Cork for 5 days now...

#unsungheroes

Alek wrote: »
    I'd love to be out today too.

Well, technically I am, but rather on a bed in Crumlin hospital watching my son breathe normal again, after cold air induced asthma attack. Aftermath of 3 wild hours in Sundrive park yesterday.

Fair play to the ambulance crew, absolute top lads, managed to stay in great spirits after 50 (!) call outs today.

Same with the hospital stuff that decided to stay in. One of the nurses told me she had not slept in her home in Cork for 5 days now...

#unsungheroes

Hope all is ok?

Do you need anything? I'm close to there and can bring you grub or anything if the canteens are closed.

Thanks man, we're fine! I took a big backpack full of sliced bread, will survive :-D The little man should be out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Thanks man, we're fine! I took a big backpack full of sliced bread, will survive :-D The little man should be out today.

Glad to hear it! Sounds like he’s as tough as his Dad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jaysus been far too warm out there for gloves. My apartment sitting at 15 degrees and I'm sitting round in a t-shirt :)
    Once you're warmed up no need for hat and gloves I'd just take them off. Same with a jacket often.

• Advertisement

My mate has just gone for a run. Short sleeves on him, I hope he ruins his drinking arm

So I did that spin from Ballymun over you Celbridge via the Royal Canal. Very tiring and tough in places. But I had a serious slip and found myself hovering over the edge of The Deep Sinking. Was enough of a fright to never do it again tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Harry. What type of tyre width?
    I am hoping to get a decent cycle in tmrw and was hoping to do Royal from Clonsilla out using 33mm.
    How deep were the snow drifts?
    Thanks

26 x 4.6”

It’s deep along the canal for a good bit, the once you enter Kildare the slush made it super difficult to control cos it was muddy. Maybe skinnier tyres would work better. I found above St catherines Park in Lucan cut off completely by drifts. Maybe three feet deep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

But I had a serious slip and found myself hovering over the edge of The Deep Sinking. Was enough of a fright to never do it again tbh.
    That would have been quite a struggle to get out. And not in ideal circumstances.

Yes. I didn’t see anyone for a long time before or after.

I find that skinny tyres may work better than large patch fatties for the kind of slush we have /had - they will cut right through it instead of sliding around on the top layer. Similar to cyclocross racers choosing file thread / thinner tyres /higher pressures for super muddy conditions sometimes.

Im giving the first part of Wicklow Way a try tomorrow on 38mm, will report back :)

I find that skinny tyres may work better than large patch fatties for the kind of slush we have /had - they will cut right through it instead of sliding around on the top layer. Similar to cyclocross racers choosing file thread / thinner tyres /higher pressures for super muddy conditions sometimes.

Im giving the first part of Wicklow Way a try tomorrow on 38mm, will report back :)

Id agree. Fat bike is kinda **** on mud and slush tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I find that skinny tyres may work better than large patch fatties for the kind of slush we have /had - they will cut right through it instead of sliding around on the top layer.
    Yeah, could be similar to ice skates, the pressure over the small area like a knife.

I remember cycling past foxrock church on the N11, I presume in 2010, on a MTB with low pressure chunky tyres, having to shout at gardai to get out of they way, they were walking about in the middle of the road, 2 squad cars stuck even though they had proper chains on the tyres. All them looking in disbelief as I cycled on through not a bother.

• Advertisement

Stocking Lane today

28767740_10156235000128537_619162316_o.jpg?oh=492ce8e2c19eda5ad6646508275b9d01&oe=5A9D889F

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement