Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Alek wrote: »
    Stocking Lane today
    That looks suspiciously like the Englishman I met coming down from the Sugarloaf today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    That looks suspiciously like the Englishman I met coming down from the Sugarloaf today.

The invasion begins, i always wondered how the Tories and DUP were going to deal with Brexit. As it turns out, with their usual style of well thought out diplomacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Im giving the first part of Wicklow Way a try tomorrow on 38mm, will report back :)

Good luck! that could be very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

This is surely a Polishman heading towards Kippure.
    The invasion begins

It began in 2004, considering the above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

popped down to phibsboro this evening for grub. the bald eagle was absolutely heaving, so we ate in the whitworth instead.

anyway; walked home. it's quite interesting to see the effort gone into keeping the roads clear and how little there is done with footpaths; except by homeowners/tenants to keep the path outside their house clear - even in areas where there would be an decent elderly population.

to be fair to dublin bus, they cleared the stops along our road, but in a couple of places created the spoil heap on the footpath beside the stop. and the local topaz made zero effort at all, making it difficult for cars to even get onto the forecourt.

• Advertisement

Lot of anger on social media about the zero effort tesco made to clear their car park here, absolute disgrace. If you had a buggy or trolley it was hard going to push it through the slush and snow and as a result there were many abandoned trolleys. Contrasted with a Lidl and Business Pk either side of Tesco who paid someone to come in and clear theirs properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Contrasted with a Lidl and Business Pk either side of Tesco who paid someone to come in and clear theirs properly.
    A friend of mine who is an agricultural contractor, was brought in by Lidl to clear their car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A friend of mine who is an agricultural contractor, was brought in by Lidl to clear their car parks.
    That's his story and he's sticking to it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

popped down to phibsboro this evening for grub. the bald eagle was absolutely heaving, so we ate in the whitworth instead.

anyway; walked home. it's quite interesting to see the effort gone into keeping the roads clear and how little there is done with footpaths; except by homeowners/tenants to keep the path outside their house clear - even in areas where there would be an decent elderly population.

to be fair to dublin bus, they cleared the stops along our road, but in a couple of places created the spoil heap on the footpath beside the stop. and the local topaz made zero effort at all, making it difficult for cars to even get onto the forecourt.

Is the Bald Eagle the new craft place that used to be Smyths? Might have to give it a visit.

I'm in a rental with a management company who are very quick to remind us of various rules and regs. They have failed to make any effort in clearing any ice, snow on any of the walk ways etc and I might have to remind them that it's their responsibility just as it's what they do residents.

Some residents did what they could, with one guy single handedly clearing the ramp very early yesterday morning when everyone was asleep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is the Bald Eagle the new craft place that used to be Smyths? Might have to give it a visit.
    It is. Nice spot - good range of food and drink. The chicken fajitas is enough for two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I see Paul Kimmage is going to ride the tour again. Should be good.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I see Paul Kimmage is going to ride the tour again. Should be good.

Surely he meant to cover it not ride it :D

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/paul-kimmage-different-look-at-the-tour-has-me-typing-a-sentence-i-never-expected-to-write-36667688.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Im giving the first part of Wicklow Way a try tomorrow on 38mm, will report back Good luck!
    that could be very interesting indeed.

It was.

NOT.

:D

Had to hike the bike up _AND DOWN_ Three Rock in the fecking deepest snow I've ever seen in this country, for like 2 hours... Not a chance cycling on this, met a few lads with their MTBs and full face helmets walking their rigs too ;)

Such a beautiful scenery though, soooo glad I ended up there! Pocket Siberia :) Still excited.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1436523630

28424835_1118239811652093_3358337331425019320_o.jpg?oh=f492c2b5356f9b9d89674b54f19c9432&oe=5B3D205C

28616713_1118239894985418_3268366881623303954_o.jpg?oh=d99e2ecfd3fd6f48a6e31dd0cdf9dbd2&oe=5B4B2DF0

28701261_1118239791652095_3493557200788765864_o.jpg?oh=ba03f6e87d7d1caa4695b6ac21ac7dbb&oe=5B4E39EC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

It was.

NOT.

:D

Had to hike the bike up _AND DOWN_ Three Rock in the fecking deepest snow I've ever seen in this country, for like 2 hours... Not a chance cycling on this, met a few lads with their MTBs and full face helmets walking their rigs too ;)

Such a beautiful scenery though, soooo glad I ended up there! Pocket Siberia :) Still excited.

Pretty much what I thought you would encounter TBH (Running on the roads in the area is tricky enough, never mind heading off-road). But it's always worth a go! Great photos

Thanks :) Yeah, I could sense scepticism in your previous post - I had no idea what to expect until I was there :) But in fairness, I'd go back there _now_ if I could, this time without the bike! Beauty overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

There's a bend beside me in Ashtown that I've always thought very wide for where it is (in the middle of a big residential area). It encourages people to sweep through it at speed.

On Saturday night as the thaw had set in, it was pretty obvious it's nearly twice as wide as it needs to be. In fact, it's so wide that last night someone parked their car in the space where the line is drawn. :rolleyes:

444810.png

But remember, there's no room in our city for dedicated cycling infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

In my area, yesterday they just completely shut off one lane in order to park the cars to go to the pub due to the pub's parking being fully snowed :rolleyes:

(Note, you can walk from one side to the other of the village in less than 10mins, yet they had to drive.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

AstraMonti wrote: »
    In my area, yesterday they just completely shut off one lane in order to park the cars to go to the pub due to the pub's parking being fully snowed :rolleyes:

(Note, you can walk from one side to the other of the village in less than 10mins, yet they had to drive.)

I wonder how they got home......

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

buffalo wrote: »
    There's a bend beside me in Ashtown that I've always thought very wide for where it is (in the middle of a big residential area). It encourages people to sweep through it at speed.

On Saturday night as the thaw had set in, it was pretty obvious it's nearly twice as wide as it needs to be. In fact, it's so wide that last night someone parked their car in the space where the line is drawn. :rolleyes:

444810.png

But remember, there's no room in our city for dedicated cycling infrastructure.

It also has a few manholes strategically placed and a curve to wake you up in the morning, especially when road is wet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Chumpski wrote: »
    It also has a few manholes strategically placed and a curve to wake you up in the morning, especially when road is wet!

On one memorable misty and damp night, I ended up bunny-hopping on to the path rather than trusting the traction on that manhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Good choice, i always am wary at that corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I don't know about any one else but at 20% I need to be able to swing my bike from one side of the road to the other before rolling backwards or falling off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

On one of the little side roads heading in to Dun Laoghaire this afternoon I met an elderly gentleman picking himself up off the footpath with a bike laid out next to him.

A mix of basic human decency and never leave a cyclist down compelled me to stop the car and check on him. He had made it home, but it seems he misjudged the turn through the gates and caught a bit of kerb, something that is remarkably easy to do. He wasn’t hurt, and it appeared to be cosmetic only damage to the bike, which is a good outcome, but I couldn’t in good conscience drive past without asking “Are you okay?”

Good deed for the day, and these things always end up being repaid in a way given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

One of the lads in work is from Latvia or Lithuania or somewhere like that.
    He is built like a brick shhite house and is trained in the Ancient art of being able to kick the living fook outta people while drunk.
    Anyway while coming back from playing snow football/vodka drinking last Friday 3 of Dublin's finest scrotes decided to try and relieve him of his possessions.
    The 3 scrotes lost.
    And by lost I mean one lost 3 of his front teeth.
    One got a broken wrist and the other ran away crying for his mammy.

koutoubia wrote: »
    One of the lads in work is from Latvia or Lithuania or somewhere like that.
    He is built like a brick shhite house and is trained in the Ancient art of being able to kick the living fook outta people while drunk.
    Anyway while coming back from playing snow football/vodka drinking last Friday 3 of Dublin's finest scrotes decided to try and relieve him of his possessions.
    The 3 scrotes lost.
    And by lost I mean one lost 3 of his front teeth.
    One got a broken wrist and the other ran away crying for his mammy.

Going back a bit but I recall the first Polish guy I ever worked with likely the 1st in town back had a nice nixer running Karate classes with his wife taking the womens classes.

We left work one saturday evening and his wife picked us up to drive us home , stopped off at a take away. Anyway fella with a few beers on him wanders in and starts tapping people for a euro and is particularly aggressive towards this lads wife when she tells him he's getting no f'n euro. Idiot mad the mistake of throwing shapes at her no intention of actually hitting her but still ended up on his knees begging her not to break his arm. Never saw anything thing like it , she'd grabbed a pressure point near his wrist and the knees went clean out from under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just saw a skate boarder being pulled over by a Garda in a marked car with flashing lights in Skerries. Just curious - is it illegal to skate on a public road?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Could you tell if it was a normal skateboard or an electric one? Can't find any details on the legalities of the traditional kind, but powered boards (like ebikes) could need insurance etc. for road use.

Or it could just be The Man trying to harsh his buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

This is both a lovely and saddening article on kids cycling to school. The interview with the authors 7 year old at the end is just fabulous:
    https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/mothers-worries-daughter-starts-biking/

" What do you like about riding to school by yourself?

Riding to school by myself makes me happy. I tell some jokes to myself. I have races with my invisible friend. I have one, you know.
    I get to practice all the cool tricks like riding no hands on the handlebars.
    I say hello to the birds singing (with my silent voice), and I say hello to my friends on the way.
    I feel happy and heroic."

It's also really saddening and worrying the reaction of the other parents to her daughter cycling to school by herself. Interesting attitudes and stats re gender too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement