Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Alek wrote: »
    Thats how we all should be descending.

https://www.facebook.com/alkos.info/posts/1121158191360255

(sound on)

Is that not how everybody does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My screams of excitement are muffled by the gaping void of existential futility these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Encountered an ar*ehole cyclist this morning.

Cycling along through Ranelagh and a car up ahead indicates to turn left. A couple of cyclists sail on by but as I was well behind I slow down, stop and wait for the car to turn. As I do so I hear a load of grumbling behind and can feel someone trying to push by me. I turned and told the guy that I wasn’t prepared to undertake a turning car and he would have to wait. He then went around me, straight through a pedestrian crossing which had a green man and loads of kids crossing to go into the school and called me a f*cking b*tch. Nice!

So if the short, middle aged dumpy looking yoke is reading this – HAI!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Vel wrote: »

Cycling along through Ranelagh and a car up ahead indicates to turn left. A couple of cyclists sail on by but as I was well behind I slow down, stop and wait for the car to turn. As I do so I hear a load of grumbling behind and can feel someone trying to push by me. I turned and told the guy that I wasn’t prepared to undertake a turning car and he would have to wait. He then went around me, straight through a pedestrian crossing which had a green man and loads of kids crossing to go into the school and called me a f*cking b*tch. Nice!

Hot Air Injection? He's the last person who needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

It's supposed to convey a passive aggressive Hi!

• Advertisement

It's supposed to convey a passive aggressive Hi!

Oh yeah! I can hear it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Can you narrow it down a bit? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I saw this earlier and it brought me back to the discussion here re parent behaviour on the school run; LINK
    The idea of the Kids’ Courts started in England about two years ago and now is being tried in Northern Ireland. After each appearance in front of their juvenile worships the offending drivers then watch graphic road safety videos featuring more children.

It’s a simple but effective idea where the PSNI roads safety officers will liaise with particular schools about running Kids’ Courts, or teachers as part of road safety classes might ask to be included in the scheme.

When the go-ahead is given police turn up outside schools on the given morning and anyone they detect – as long as they are not travelling inordinately fast - will have the option there and then of appearing in front of the children, or taking the fine and penalty points. So far the courts just relate to speeding offences.
    Constable Jacky McDowell of PSNI road safety said the children were excellent in helping impart vital messages. He explained, “A car travelling at 30 mph takes twice as long to stop as a car travelling at 20mph. And if you are hit at 20 mph you are a lot less likely to be killed or seriously injured than if you are hit by a car travelling at 30 mph. As far as I am concerned, safety is paramount on our city’s roads, so our message is loud and clear: slower is safer.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Funnily enough Ranelagh is the only place I've been vocally criticised by another cyclist for stopping at lights.

This is probably paranoia, but ... are the children wearing hi-viz judge robes?

image.jpg

• Advertisement

Rather odd choice of photo for a story about the UK DfT:
    https://twitter.com/roadcc/status/972117142857551872

340km Cycle from Dublin to Blacksod in memory of R116 crew , doing it over two days. Hopefully weather improves for them.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0310/946423-cycle-in-memory-of-r116-crew-begins-in-dublin/

340km Cycle from Dublin to Blacksod in memory of R116 crew , doing it over two days. Hopefully weather improves for them.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0310/946423-cycle-in-memory-of-r116-crew-begins-in-dublin/

They were on with Tubs last night

Oh missed that , I'll have a look on the player.

Did he put them in a bin?

I bought a couple of bits from bike store in Dublin a couple of weeks ago using their click and collect method. Paid online and went to collect.

Anyway they then refunded my card after I collected through some error (I wasn't aware they had), today I get a voicemail explaining they refunded but also by the tone and wording used making out it was my fault and I felt like they were accusing me of stealing the feckin items. I'm nearly at the point if telling them to go swing but I wouldn't like to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

As some are aware I'm off injured presently but back doing x 3 times weekly on the turbo with road work approx 4-6 weeks away according to HSE physio.

Am I being foolish in considering the W200 as a goer still? Club have a few going and Hotel is booked for 2 nights. Last year was a love /hate spin but mad to go back...
    Is turbo training enough to get me through the W200?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

also by the tone and wording used making out it was my fault and I felt like they were accusing me of stealing the feckin items.

Give them a call. Stay cool and don't say much, let them explain the thing to you again.

If they do it in the same tone, let the dogs out; otherwise it may have been just a stressed employee's emotions straight after being scolded by the boss...

We are all prone to misinterpret nervous people's intentions over the phone, when we can't see their facial experession / gestures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dahat wrote: »
    Am I being foolish in considering the W200 as a goer still? Club have a few going and Hotel is booked for 2 nights. Last year was a love /hate spin but mad to go back...

W200 still a reasonable goal, you know what long cycles are like so as long as you pace yourself and eat regularly (dont get carried away and go off like a lunatic) you could still aim for it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

As some are aware I'm off injured presently but back doing x 3 times weekly on the turbo with road work approx 4-6 weeks away according to HSE physio.

Yep, long distance is almost all in the head. Dial back pace a little on climbs, don't be killing yourself on climbs or at the front and have the odd look in over the ditch :pac:. Don't have too much drink the night before..

Edit: Did you get the physio with the beard? Him and one of the lady physios are better than most private physios I've come across

I would say yes. But it depends on the fitness level you are coming from, how long you’ve been off the bike, and most importantly of all, the quality of your training on the turbo.

The hardest thing to make up for on the turbo is the long distance training aspect - the endurance rides. You could do 3 or 4 hour sessions on the turbo of course, but your head will be melted by it and you shouldn’t need to anyway if the quality and quantity of your (shorter) sessions is adequate.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Yep, long distance is almost all in the head. Dial back pace a little on climbs, don't be killing yourself on climbs or at the front and have the odd look in over the ditch :pac:. Don't have too much drink the night before..

Edit: Did you get the physio with the beard? Him and one of the lady physios are better than most private physios I've come across

My physio is a young lady, Elish I think, happy with her at present and although not sporty she is understanding my need to get going while being firm as well.

Thanks for the encouragement lads, I'll press ahead and gamble with the €50 entry fee.

doozerie wrote: »
    I would say yes. But it depends on the fitness level you are coming from, how long you’ve been off the bike, and most importantly of all, the quality of your training on the turbo.

The hardest thing to make up for on the turbo is the long distance training aspect - the endurance rides. You could do 3 or 4 hour sessions on the turbo of course, but your head will be melted by it and you shouldn’t need to anyway if the quality and quantity of your (shorter) sessions is adequate.

I was training for racing when I got hurt so I was well in the way to being fit, all on all I was off bike 3 weeks after the crash.

A 3hr turbo session is within reach for me as I'm well used to.it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I was training for racing when I got hurt so I was well in the way to being fit, all on all I was off bike 3 weeks after the crash.

I'll be bringing ye off on a magical mystery tour soon enough. I'll wait till your back. Wicklow will be like a recovery ride :D

ford2600 wrote: »
    I'll be bringing ye off on a magical mystery tour soon enough. I'll wait till your back. Wicklow will be like a recovery ride :D

Oh Jesus...best get me some 28mm tyres then!

If in doubt, think of Mat Hayman’s Paris-Roubaix win on the back of training entirely on a turbo: LINK

Some interesting quotes from that:
    “The key message with Zwift was the motivation to ride every day. He was doing two sessions per day: one of a morning, one of an afternoon because I think any more than 90 minutes is too much on the ergo… it allowed us to have a controlled environment to every session. The amount of hours that Mat put in is pretty incredible.
    “I can quantify it this way for you: for any road rider, everyone using power meters these days, knows what a 1,000 TSS (Training Stress Score) week is like.
    “To do 1,000 TSS consecutive weeks on the ergo is pretty incredible and that’s what Mat was able to do.

…holy jaysus! I’m in denial that TSS can go into 4 digits in a single week, let alone consecutive weeks

But all that said, you have to remember that “that’s just Paris-Roubaix, it’s no Wicklow 200, like” :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Turbo training for leisure events makes baby jesus cry.

Lumen wrote: »

As i'm A3 this year and very likely to uncompetitive in that grade i need something to work towards. I like training and intensity so an aim is always good to have.

I would preferably go road training but i'm 4-6 weeks off that just now.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

Tell that to Mat Hayman, all that training for the Paris-Roubaix Challenge/Sportive, only for him to mistakenly line up on the wrong day.

He managed to save something from the day at least, but he’ll have to live with the frustration of knowing he might have won the sportive if he’d got his dates right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement