Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Sweet Jesus, did no one have a word with him?

I'm not sure I'd be willing to approach him, he doesn't look very friendly.

rhino-clipart-angry-14.jpg

Amongst the marketing materials in my letterbox today was a booklet from Jaguar Land Rover. I've never bought into the "your car is a reflection of who and what you are" mindset so usually I just chuck such marketing stuff into the recycling bin unread. I glanced at this one though and in a paragraph of nonsense the following stood out:
    ...the calm sanctuary of its interior, unequalled.

Sanctuary? Sanctuary from what? And a calm sanctuary at that. I think that if I considered my car as a calm sanctuary, I'd have to question what exactly I've done with my life and why it sucks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    What a dickhead.

It's Richard Head, actually. Dick to his mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

nee wrote: »
    The father has a friend called Mickey Dick.
    One is not enough.

The nicknames of his friends are hilarious. There's also The Cardboard (why? "He was always The Cardboard". Ok :pac:).
    They're inherited also. Pat the Mouse bought a house previously owed by The Mouse Farrell and got the name with it.
    I must start collecting them. They're magnificent.

Certain parts of country are very prone to it. I don't think anyone in Lismore area has a Christian name.

"Bubbles" Dywer (Tipperary hurler) was a hairy baby and named after Michael Jackson's monkey.

I worked in a Clonmel factory about 20 years ago; we got a new supervisor called Neil who was pretty clueless. By first day he was only known as "Níl fhios agam"

Jack the Rat the plumber Philly Leaks are two of the least complementary that come to mind

I heard of someone in the army barracks in Cork, name of Tom, who wasn't widely liked and was considered a bit thick. He was known as Tom The Gom.

Some nicknames are funny, some are pure passive aggressive, that one manages to be a bit of both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

He has another friend known as The Wop Egan, known as The Wop. Pretty interesting story that guy actually. There are so many. I'm gonna start recording them. I don't think any of them call each other by their actual names. It's an unwritten rule I think. He doesn't even know what some of their real names are!

I think it's a nice thing. It's about familiarity I think, sometimes affection. I only nickname/shorten the names of people I like. I haven't called one of my best friends by his actual name since I met him, bar when having to refer to him in his absence to others which is weird. Actually now that I think about it I nickname him then too. And all of my close buddies. Definitely a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Níl fhios agam

What does it mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Alek wrote: »
    What does it mean?

I don't know...

I don't know...

Very useful of you Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Very useful of you Sir.

Try a bit of google translate there, Alex.

• Advertisement

Try a bit of google translate there, Alex.

Aaaah, don't spoil my Saturday midday trolling ;)

Aaaah, don't spoil my Saturday midday trolling ;)

:pac::D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doozerie wrote: »
    Some nicknames are funny, some are pure passive aggressive, that one manages to be a bit of both.
    there was a guy the year below me in school who was called cockface. i couldn't tell you his real name (not because of boards rules, i genuinely don't know it). it was so common a teacher once accidentally used it in class (allegedly).
    i must try to find out if it lasted more than a few years after he left school.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

there was a guy the year below me in school who was called cockface. i couldn't tell you his real name (not because of boards rules, i genuinely don't know it). it was so common a teacher once accidentally used it in class (allegedly).
    i must try to find out if it lasted more than a few years after he left school.

Well that's horrible :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have heard of other nicknames which i'm not going to repeat here cos they're far worse.

my dad is from a part of the country where no-one used actual surnames because there are just three main ones. on the road he lived on, he was one of five people with the same name as him (firstname surname), and one of two with the same firstname middle name surname combination. he's 'john barney's stores' when he visits his hometown, cos my grandad (bernard) ran a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

'The Gooch' must have one of the best known nicknames in the country and I don't think he even knows himself where it came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

My area of the country, you get your name and your dad’s. If that matches someone’s already then you get your name, your dad’s and his mother’s or father’s.

Or you get a particularly mean name which everyone uses to refer to you but never uses in your presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

My area of the country, you get your name and your dad’s. If that matches someone’s already then you get your name, your dad’s and his mother’s or father’s.

Or you get a particularly mean name which everyone uses to refer to you but never uses in your presence.

Cockface by any chance?

No. Worse.

doozerie wrote: »
    Amongst the marketing materials in my letterbox today was a booklet from Jaguar Land Rover. I've never bought into the "your car is a reflection of who and what you are" mindset so usually I just chuck such marketing stuff into the recycling bin unread.
    facebook has started shunting ads for land rover at me:
    "Adventure. It’s in our DNA.

Micro adventures can take over after you leave the office if you just let them! Have a fun family adventure as you retreat into the Wilderness."
    they *have* been to ireland? anyone driving a land rover here would probably not bring it into the 'wilderness' for fear of getting it dirty.

• Advertisement

I use every add on under the sun to rid the internet of ads, you should see facebook without them 2/3 of the screen is empty white space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I read something about car advertising once, and AFAIR the companies don't really expect most buyers to use SUVs for adventures. They're mostly for people with kids who want people to think or to cod themselves that they might just be swashbuckling adventurers, rather than life-trapped people with booster seats in the back.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I read something about car advertising once, and AFAIR the companies don't really expect most buyers to use SUVs for adventures. They're mostly for people with kids who want people to think or to cod themselves that they might just be swashbuckling adventurers, rather than life-trapped people with booster seats in the back.

It’s a simple marketing ploy. Target aspirations. Works on cyclists too.

may have mentioned this before - but have you seen the current volvo xc90? no wonder volvo will be able to ensure that no one dies in their cars by 2020, it's the size of a cargo ship. it's hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Promised Mrs RS that I wasn't going out today, but now it's snowing and I have an MTB....must resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Promised Mrs RS that I wasn't going out today, but now it's snowing and I have an MTB....must resist!

*cough*the bike comes first*cough*

I wish I had a mountain bike for dicking about on the grassy side of the canal on days like today. Must purchase one... My neighbour does have a trek mountain bike locked up in his back garden but it's there years without moving and it'd probably take half the day to get it useable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Some great information popping up on this thread over on After Hours.
    Glad to know that the faster I travel, the less I care about my safety.
    Middle Man wrote: »
    I must also be said that a cyclist travelling at any speed of 30kph or higher tend to be far less observant than other road users. I've cycled (in the past) and now drive and walk a lot - between those three modes, cycling is the most dangerous in terms of awareness regarding one's surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I love the St. Augustine-style repudiation of past sins.
    I've cycled (in the past)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Effects wrote: »
    Some great information popping up on this thread over on After Hours....
    It's in Commuting and Transport (having started in the North County Dublin Forum).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement