Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what's the safety driver supposed to do - the car is supposed to have better reactions than a human, so if the driver is constantly hitting the brakes or grabbing the steering wheel, surely it negates the testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

loyatemu wrote: »
    what's the safety driver supposed to do - the car is supposed to have better reactions than a human, so if the driver is constantly hitting the brakes or grabbing the steering wheel, surely it negates the testing?

I doubt they are constantly doing that. I see it as similar to a driving instructor in a dual control car with a learner driver. They should be presuming the software is terrible and be just as cautious as if they were driving themselves. It is all part of the testing, finding out the flaws, just like a learner driver.

I would not want that uber driver as my driving instructor, paying very little attention at all.

They should be monitoring the safety drivers to see they are doing their job. Sounds like they can but are not doing their job properly either, only themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One would expect that the safety driver has spent enough time in the vehicle on a test track, to understand and be familiar with how, when and where the vehicle is supposed to react. So that when it doesn't, the driver can take over.

That is, as it approaches a red light, the vehicle would be expected to slow down in a relatively gentle and predictable manner, and not jam on at the last minute. Someone who is familiar with the vehicle will notice pretty quickly when it doesn't react as expected, and push the pedal to stop it.

Likewise with an obstacle like someone crossing the road, one would expect that the vehicle reacts before the safety driver has even noticed something is wrong. Thus, if the safety driver notices a hazard and the vehicle hasn't reacted, then the driver knows that they must.

It's not a perfect failsafe by any means, but should be pretty effective if properly implemented. That is, if safety drivers have been properly skilled up and understand the importance of their position. The woman spending most of the trip apparently on her phone clearly didn't have the latter. Whether she had the former is unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Does the Cycling Ireland app on Android work for anyone.
    Tried checking my license on it but it just stalls when logging in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If the safety driver is unwilling or unable to intervene in the event of the car doing something wrong, then they are entirely redundant.

They would certainly be entirely redundant if the cars didn't make mistakes, this incident proves that's not the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lumen wrote: »
    That video is strongly misleading. It would be more instructive to see videos from the lidar system, not the optical cameras.

Since Uber cars can see in the dark, the question is simply "why did it drive into a pedestrian it could see?".

This has to be the easiest accident to avoid (easy for me to say as the non-programmer).

If a robot car cannot avoid a pedestrian walking out slowly across an empty, straight road whilst wheeling a bicycle fully side-on, what hope for the hard cases?

It's not only misleading in lacking LIDAR... crash site appears around 0:33 apparently:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Intteresting, short thread, I think:

https://twitter.com/lastnotlost/status/976947135676583937

(AVs, outside simple use cases, are effectively years away, hype exceeds foreseeable capability.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A sign has gone up recently in my place of work "No Cycling in these grounds".

No doubt the powers that be will look at me like I've got three heads when I ask them if they'll be putting up a similar sign for motor vehicles. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fail. should be mounted upside down, rising out of the floor.

446444.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fail. should be mounted upside down, rising out of the floor.
    The issue there is people visiting will think a UK private coach operator built the bathroom and there latest victim is under the tiles ala brookside/patio style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Just watched Worlds Busiest Cities that was on RTE2. It was filmed in Mexico City. They have a cycling mayor and close 55km of city streets to cars every Sunday so that bikes and pedestrians can use them. It looks great!

fail. should be mounted upside down, rising out of the floor....
    But that would prevent an additional roll being stored on the top part. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just watched Worlds Busiest Cities that was on RTE2. It was filmed in Mexico City. They have a cycling mayor and close 55km of city streets to cars every Sunday so that bikes and pedestrians can use them. It looks great!

was in mexico city 8 years ago amazing place

on another note why are internal cables so difficult 4 hours to do my rear brake cable. finally sucked a bit of cotton through it was bunching somewhere, after drilling out the rear hole to have a chance of getting a cable through

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

on another note why are internal cables so difficult 4 hours to do my rear brake cable. finally sucked a bit of cotton through it was bunching somewhere, after drilling out the rear hole to have a chance of getting a cable through

Invented by Satan himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When you get beeped at, hands thrown up off the steering wheel and then two fingers for being such a dick that you don't overtake a cyclist on a solid white line and blind bend :rolleyes:

Soz for not putting myself and other in danger just so you could get the school run done, I came in opposite gate of my estate to her and we came across each other in my estate as she pulled into the creche, to which she gave me two fingers (I mean what a dick I am for not putting myself, the cyclist and oncoming motorists in danger. HOW DARE I)....so I decided to get out and provide some rules of the road education.... :pac:

edit: I'd love to know what story she'll tell when she goes home about the bitch who wouldn't overtake the cyclist even though it was perfectly fine to do so. As it happened only one car came round the bend while we were behind cyclist, but there was no way to tell that. And I'm glad it was me right behind her as even if it was safe for me to go round she wouldn't have made sure it was safe the same way. Hope the cyclist doesn't think it was me beeping :(

Very lucky she didn't have a more old school "f*ck safety" motorist in front of her. I seen a guy drop anchor at someone doing this. A tidy payout for being a d1ck. Not condoning, it is as bad as the behaviour that started it but part of me felt a lesson hard learned is a lesson well learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sigh.. I had a candidate arriving for interview today who I'd had high hopes for. I saw him arrive on camera and then proceed to stare at our doorbell looking very confused. It's just your standard intercom with one large button that says 'press' on it, he was reeking of fags too. I should have stayed out of here today and gone for a cycle.

Heading home this morning with the wee one walking and her on the little bike , lad coming towards us on the foothpath 14/15 cycling with hands in his pockets, theres a bit were the path curves and drops with those knobbly tiles as it crosses an entrance, same on the other side. Lad cool as you like keeps the hands warm and shimmys down and back up the other side passing us. Didn't know weather to applaud his handling skills or tell him to get the f off the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nikki31

Hi everyone im a newbie i have put an advert up on here to see if anyone would like to buy my bike. Ive had my bike up on adverts, donedeal, gumtree etc im wondering why there is no interest in it ive put the relevant info in the ads is it the price in asking for thats putting people off buying it any info would be appreciated thanks.

Sigh.. I had a candidate arriving for interview today who I'd had high hopes for. I saw him arrive on camera and then proceed to stare at our doorbell looking very confused. It's just your standard intercom with one large button that says 'press' on it, he was reeking of fags too. I should have stayed out of here today and gone for a cycle.
    I interview regularly and am increasing losing faith in humanity when I see how an increasing number candidates present themselves and what they say/ask. I think many don't seem to realise that the interview commences before you're sitting in the chair.

Candidates (mainly young men) changing their clothes a car outside my office. WTF - if you have to get changed on route, why not pull in somewhere beforehand. Seeing your white arse pressed against a car window doesn't give me any positive vibes.

Talking loudly on a phone in the corridor outside the interview room and continuing the conversation after being called in.

And the bloody water! Do you really need to slap a 2 litre bottle of water on the table. It's a 30 minute interview - I won't be asking you to cross the Sahara.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife works in HR. they've seen everything - including job applications sent in via a camera phone photograph of a computer monitor, on which someone has filled in their details. on a generic job application form, not the application form specific to the job in question.

Nikki31 wrote: »
    Hi everyone im a newbie i have put an advert up on here to see if anyone would like to buy my bike. Ive had my bike up on adverts, donedeal, gumtree etc im wondering why there is no interest in it ive put the relevant info in the ads is it the price in asking for thats putting people off buying it any info would be appreciated thanks.
    you may be unlucky in that there's no one browsing those places at the moment who is looking for that type of bike, in that size.
    might also help if you specify in the ad what size person the bike would suit - often you'll find a sizing chart on the maufacturer's website. someone looking for one may not understand what size would suit them best.

you may be unlucky in that there's no one browsing those places at the moment who is looking for that type of bike, in that size.
    might also help if you specify in the ad what size person the bike would suit - often you'll find a sizing chart on the maufacturer's website. someone looking for one may not understand what size would suit them best.

Also it is a Halfords bike, that can routinely be picked up for 315euro on their site. A non negotiable price of 200 on a bike that can be picked up new for little more is not great.

Lucky to get 150euro for it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

He was probably weighing up how judgemental and prejudiced you were going to be and whether it was worth the effort and waste of his talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    He was probably weighing up how judgemental and prejudiced you were going to be and whether it was worth the effort and waste of his talent.

Isn't being judgemental the whole point of interviewing?

Candidates (mainly young men) changing their clothes a car outside my office. WTF - if you have to get changed on route, why not pull in somewhere beforehand. Seeing your white arse pressed against a car window doesn't give me any positive vibes.

I have to discreetly get changed before gigs (classical guitar background music stuff mostly) and interviews all the time, because I cycle there, but I always find somewhere quiet, and it's just a change of shoes and putting on a shirt, tie and jacket over the t-shirt I wore en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Lumen wrote: »
    Isn't being judgemental the whole point of interviewing?

Sort of. Usually I try and relax the candidate, when they're relaxed you're more likely to hear about previous roles with warts and all. Some candidates do mess up from the start, stinking of fags, not dressed in business attire - a requirement for the roles I recruit for, and stinking of stale drink are three I've had in the last week. I'm a recruiter so I also have to be very aware that these candidates are what my reputation is built on, I do however always try to put the candidate first and if somebody clearly isn't prepared because they're just being lazy or not showing any interest then I won't either but if I can see a candidate is a bit misguided I will always try give best advice. Most of the time my feedback is welcomed.

Nikki31 wrote: »
    ... im wondering why there is no interest in it ive put the relevant info in the ads is it the price in asking for thats putting people off buying it any info would be appreciated thanks.
    Rule no. 1 - if you're putting up a single picture, take it from the drive side. ;)

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I have to discreetly get changed before gigs (classical guitar background music stuff mostly) and interviews all the time, because I cycle there, but I always find somewhere quiet, and it's just a change of shoes and putting on a shirt, tie and jacket over the t-shirt I wore en route.
    i used to have an applied maths teacher many years ago who was a classical guitarist and (i think) liked to cycle. i suspect the venn diagram of classical guitarists and cyclists in ireland has a small intersection?

• Advertisement

Not sure! I know a few orchestral musicians who cycle -- usually the ones with the more portable instruments, such as flutes and violins. There aren't that many classical guitarists really, in the general scheme of things. I teach in the evenings, and I only very occasionally get someone who wants to learn classical guitar, or even how to read music. I end up teaching popular music mostly, which is actually an enjoyable change, though I do think it's a shame not to get the rudiments of reading music.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement