Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've been pestering my wife to teach me the piano. she's a degree in music but i've got an utterly tin ear.

i've been pestering my wife to teach me the piano. she's a degree in music but i've got an utterly tin ear.

An ex thought me how to play that creepy halloween movie theme years ago, I can still play it .... badly :o

It's a good one for a beginner as it's something you'd know and has no moment of hand positions realy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the problem for me is that she knows i'll just end up playing really spare, eno type stuff but she's a metaller and does not appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

the problem for me is that she knows i'll just end up playing really spare, eno type stuff but she's a metaller and does not appreciate that.

Metaller who plays piano? Can I interest you in a trade?

VK Goes Wild is one of my favourite YouTube channels

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"No, please, I'll be the laughing stock of the melodic grindcore community!"

(One for fans of Mike Judge)

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    "No, please, I'll be the laughing stock of the melodic grindcore community!"

(One for fans of Mike Judge)

Grindcore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I deleted earlier post re this. Am massive grindcore fan for 25 years. Play piano for last 35, along with organ, guitar and bass for some fewer years. Eno is good in my book. He’s been supersceded by better composers, but anyway... if you scan through YouTube, you’ll find many songs of his laid out in an easy to replicate manner.

My wife would have been a big carcass fan, tool too. Lately she's been listening a lot to Chelsea Wolfe and paradise lost. She was also a choral scholar in trinity, so a good mix. Her brother is in a gaelic doom metal band.

Saw Carcass in 1994 in Tivoli. Basically when they were no longer grindcore unfortunately. Got to chat with them all after. Probably greatest night of my teen life. Very few good grindcore bands left. When Carcass played here in maybe 91/92 a load of punks waited outside to start fights with the “metallers” apparently. Funny cos grindcore was more punk that metal when it came down to it.

I got to have quite a long chat in a pub with Mark E. Smith once. He was really very nice.

I mentioned it to my girlfriend's sister, and she said that if she could meet MES, John Lennon and Spider-Man, her life would be complete. Then she reflected that she couldn't really meet John Lennon. Then we all laughed.

• Advertisement

I'm still hoping that I can meet Julian Bream in a similar fashion, if he were to come out of retirement. And then maybe Spider-Man.

I got to have quite a long chat in a pub with Mark E. Smith once. He was really very nice.
    did he offer you a slot in the fall?

did he offer you a slot in the fall?

Ha! No, but it was probably 50/50 on any given night!

Only found out the other day Mark E Smith had passed away back in January :(

They used to use a Fall song on one of the BBC football shows.

Decent music died in 1995. All genres peaked then imho. Hip hop, dance, etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

2018 says Oi...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I am insanely jealous.

Only found out the other day Mark E Smith had passed away back in January :(

They used to use a Fall song on one of the BBC football shows.

Theme from Sparta F.C.?

Theme from Sparta F.C.?

Yes indeed.

Rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact.

• Advertisement

Rock has always sucked

getting away from the music debate, i see met eireann is about to update their website, so better resolution rainfall radar is now available on it. however, you only get the last 90 minutes or so of radar, rather than the approx. 6 hours on the current site:

https://beta.met.ie/

RobFowl wrote: »
    2018 says Oi...
    Bit of a Prince vibe there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There is, he was down to produce it and had a hand in it. Some of her other stuff is very impressive though as well.
    Musci has a great way of re inverting itself and producing new great stuff.
    Though..
    One direction, Taylor Swift etc do my head in.....

Bit of a Prince rip off.

RobFowl wrote: »
    There is, he was done to produce it and had a hand in it. Some of her other stuff is very impressive though as well.
    Musci has a great way of re inverting itself and producing new great stuff.
    Though..
    One direction, Taylor Swift etc do my head in.....

I have two small daughters, so I've heard a TS song or two. Just the really famous ones, I think. I've grown quite fond of them!

I've probably said too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I have two small daughters, so I've heard a TS song or two. Just the really famous ones, I think. I've grown quite fond of them!

I've probably said too much.

Nobody can resist Taytay.

...except Rob apparently.

Prince was pretty obviously influenced by other people himself, to be fair. His look was a mixture of Little Richard and Jimi Hendrix, and there was more than a bit of JH, James Brown and Sly and the Family Stone in the music. It was definitely its own thing though.

This George Harrison tribute appearance is notable for the gloriously, egotistically, absurdly blistering guitar solo (03:28). No gentle weeping here!

The amiable bemusement on Dhani Harrison's face is entertaining too.

the big question about that clip - where does his guitar go at the end?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wondered that too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement