Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

MyFitnessPal seems to have suffered a data breach of sorts. I think most here use Strava but worth a heads up for anyone using MapMyRide.

http://www.thejournal.ie/under-armour-data-3932371-Mar2018/?utm_source=twitter_short

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Got an email myself this evening.

Kind of worrying given the autosave and linking of information through the google platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I’m on a bus on the way to work. Bus driver going south on N11 sits at stop a few seconds longer than needed to let a small group of cyclists go around him safely. Lead cyclist gives a very clear thumbs up to the driver as he passes. Courtesy all round. Nicely done.

(Yes, I should be cycling to work. Once I get myself properly settled in I will be)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

P_1 wrote: »
    MyFitnessPal seems to have suffered a data breach of sorts.
    one of the biggest data breaches known. however, i'd be curious how usable the data is.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/under-armour-says-150-million-myfitnesspal-accounts-breached-1.3445507

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Look as if the Uber crash car in Arizona had some detection capability switched off:
    http://www.eschatonblog.com/2018/03/they-can-be-programmed-not-to-hit-things.html
    and they'd considerably reduced the LIDAR coverage when rolling out the volvos:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/28/uber_selfdriving_death_may_have_been_due_to_lidar_blind_spot/

some more interesting detail in there about how uber had an all too friendly relationship with the governor in arizona.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

one of the biggest data breaches known. however, i'd be curious how usable the data is.
    I'm much more concerned about the unknown ones. Some covered up and some never discovered

The problem with something like this is the sheer number of compromised accounts may make it difficult to pinpoint any use of this specific data, as it's likely to be combined with other information to build up profiles of individuals, Although they may have software to make scanning of the info easier, it's may well be that they target a relatively small number, making it more difficult to work out what data's being used where.

Some time ago I decided to severely limit my use of this sort of thing. Dropped Strava a couple of years ago. I won't use anything beyond the likes of banking software, where they ask for much info, including my phone number. I won't install Facebook Messenger as it demands my number. My e-mail and name is about as far as I'm prepared to offer any social media or lifestyle-type apps.

Indeed, a thorough search through this site would probably reveal a lot more about me than any of these sites that use data profiling can pull together

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Maybe I'm too blase but I really couldn't give a fcuk about data breached related to me....
    As long as I've got my kids and bikes I'm happy.

(and the wife too !!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

RobFowl wrote: »
    Maybe I'm too blase but I really couldn't give a fcuk about data breached related to me....

(and the wife too !!)

Same, I used to worry about it but not anymore. If somebody wants to know what I'm browsing for at 3am in the morning (usually classic car websites, mad for a Datsun Bluebird and throwing an SR20 into it atm) or where I run/cycle to I don't give a fiddlers. Spam filters on gmail are pretty good too and any rubbish goes there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

RobFowl wrote: »

(and the wife too !!)
    I think your blase-ness will change if someone orders a shiet load of Campagnolo equipment in your name.

for many people, that could be an 'ah, you win some, you lose some' moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

for many people, that could be an 'ah, you win some, you lose some' moment.

I have Shimano hubs so I'll have to get them to order wheels too

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/under-armour-says-150-million-myfitnesspal-accounts-breached-1.3445507
    Would the intent here not be to undermine the companys reputation rather than use individuals data? I for one will avoid this site, as I do many others anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

koutoubia wrote: »
    I think your blase-ness will change if someone orders a shiet load of Campagnolo equipment in your name.

I do have a certain fondness for retro bike gear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

getting away from the music debate, i see met eireann is about to update their website, so better resolution rainfall radar is now available on it. however, you only get the last 90 minutes or so of radar, rather than the approx. 6 hours on the current site:

https://beta.met.ie/

Send in a comment...

http://www.met.ie/contactus/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

koutoubia wrote: »
    Did it all arrive safely koutoubia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Beasty wrote: »
    Did it all arrive safely koutoubia?

All i will say that is that more then one EPS battery is charging and the first layer of glue has been applied to 3 sets of Bora Ultra wheels.
    Got the lot for a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Serious kudos to those doing the Belfast to Dublin Ultra Race at the moment. During my cycle today I saw loads of them from Drumcondra to Blake's Cross in various states - walking, staggering, limping, leaning on lamp posts and sitting on the side of the road. Presumably they've been going through the night as it started yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Serious kudos to those doing the Belfast to Dublin Ultra Race at the moment. During my cycle today I saw loads of them from Drumcondra to Blake's Cross in various states - walking, staggering, limping, leaning on lamp posts and sitting on the side of the road. Presumably they've been going through the night as it started yesterday.

I was out in Skerries this morning (unfortunately in the car) and saw quite a few between Blakes Cross and the M1 junction. I didn't realise what was going on but they looked wrecked. Fair play to them. Serious mental and physical strength to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I was wondering what that event was. Saw a few of what I assumed were stragglers when I was heading south but then saw a heap more when heading back north so they must not have been the stragglers!

They all looked banjoed!

I was passing Fagan's pub in Drumcondra earlier today. Presumably they were open yesterday and some wit, who wasn't happy with that, has made the 'F' into a 'P'. The staff don't seem to have copped it yet! :D

• Advertisement

Cycling club with one green sleeve and one red sleeve on their club top - I assume it's one of the meath ones?

Cycling club with one green sleeve and one red sleeve on their club top - I assume it's one of the meath ones?

Or Mayo?

Well, I saw them near the naul. Meath seemed more likely...

Well, I saw them near the naul. Meath seemed more likely...

Oh, people from Mayo are allowed out of Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Oh, people from Mayo are allowed out of Mayo!

That is a pity.

Naomh Barrog GAA Baldoyle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Naomh Barrog GAA Baldoyle.

Only ever seen them around Howth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Send in a comment...

http://www.met.ie/contactus/
    I once went for a long cycle with a guy who worked in met eireann. Ringing Met to see which way the wind would be blowing in an hour after 250km only to find their prediction for the immediate future to be wrong left me disheartened, I hold no hope for the website :pac:

maybe they just didn't like the guy you were out on the bike with?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ringing Met to see which way the wind would be blowing in an hour after 250km
    also, maybe i'm reading your post wrong, but perhaps their expectations were as far out as yours were?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement