Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

Is it normal to already be considering selling my 5 month old road bike to get the latest model? So many new features!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

ImThatGuy wrote: »
    Is it normal to already be considering selling my 5 month old road bike to get the latest model? So many new features!

No! You keep the old one as a winter bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

ImThatGuy wrote: »
    Ryath wrote: »
    No! You keep the old one as a winter bike.

You also need a cyclocross, a mountain bike, a tourer and a TT bike. You 're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

AstraMonti wrote: »
    You also need a cyclocross, a mountain bike, a tourer and a TT bike. You 're welcome.

bicycles-more-than-one-e1351262649410.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

bp_me wrote: »
    Snip

They forgot the classic/retro bike.
    Every body needs one.
    Also custom steel and a titanium one for the occasional time when they are necessary....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Also custom steel and a titanium one for randonneuring....

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Crazy idea or stupid idea?: Lidl selling ski socks in the coming week.

They appear to be knee length versions of their trekking socks which I find are great cycling socks.

So...knee high ski socks for under bib tights in deep winter = warm or = impeded circulation = necrosis = septicaemia = death?

#notseekingmedicaladvice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Crazy idea or stupid idea?: Lidl selling ski socks in the coming week.

They appear to be knee length versions of their trekking socks which I find are great cycling socks.

So...knee high ski socks for under bib tights in deep winter = warm or = impeded circulation = necrosis = septicaemia = death?

#notseekingmedicaladvice

Subconsciously preparing for life as a triathlete?

Winter boots FTW

ford2600 wrote: »
    Subconsciously preparing for life as a triathlete?

Winter boots FTW

1363238465123.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Didn't get around to even a wimpy-short cycle yesterday, and then saw the forecast :eek:

What sort of fool was I :confused:

366746.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

No matter how long I look at them, these Roadracer MK2s are not going to fit into that tiny gap on my winter bike build.

"The key to fitting the Roadracers is this…can you get a 4mm allen key between the top of the tyre and the forks-brake bridge-brakes? If you can, then the Roadracers will fit your racebike. Doesn’t matter what tyre size, it‘s clearance that is important"

I don't recall reading that when I bought them? Or anyone mentioning it?

grrrrr!

A downgrade in tyre size is needed.

This wont end well.

Wiggle selling the Verenti Substance at €660... basically a Croix de Fer 10... :(:o:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

AstraMonti wrote: »

Singlespeed.
    Fixie.
    Audax steel.
    Hill climb special.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There's no track bike on that list either, and it's pretty much essential. Pursuit and a sprint bike. You also need a nice fancy summer training/gazing-lovingly-at bike that you can't race/get wet.

Someday I will have them all mua ha ha ha!

Got absolutely soaked 3 times today. I don't think my shoes are ever gonna dry out…it only rained when I went out the door…*does weather god dance for half 7*

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gadetra wrote: »
    There's no track bike on that list either, and it's pretty much essential. Pursuit and a sprint bike. You also need a nice fancy summer training/gazing-lovingly-at bike that you can't race/get wet.
    Yep, and that's before spares .....

(Fixie is listed and I have ridden my fixie at Sundrive, but it's still not a track bike. 3 others are though! Of course one now resides overseas, which means I really do need to think about at least one spare, just in case - question is whether it's going to be another red one!)

Red is the fastest colour...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That may be the case, but given weight makes little difference on the track I'm now thinking of a gold one to complete the "set";)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

unless beasty is riding it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    That may be the case, but given weight makes little difference on the track I'm now thinking of a gold one to complete the "set";)

I've got gold, silver and bronze from the World Medical games if you want to check the colouring ;)

RobFowl wrote: »
    I've got gold, silver and bronze from the World Medical games if you want to check the colouring ;)
    Only a gold and silver so far this year for me, but don't pick them up until towards the end of November. Have my final racing of the year this weekend, so maybe there's something to come. As gadetra's aware (as a mod she gets a sneak preview) I've recently picked up something gold that will go very well with a gold bike .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

this is interesting,

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/oct/27/cyclists-run-red-lights-paris-london-san-francisco

certainly feel that left turns and stop signs should be yields to cyclists (although stop signs pretty much are). As pointed out well in article motorised traffic compliance with traffic laws is much more important, nearly all reported deaths of cyclists was clashing with HGV's. Its not cyclists and peds killing each other.

On the one hand yes, fantastic, it makes a lot of sense and would be super handy. On the other hand some, not all but some of the current light breaking behaviour I see does not inspire confidence. This is why we can't have nice things!

On the one hand yes, fantastic, it makes a lot of sense and would be super handy. On the other hand some, not all but some of the current light breaking behaviour I see does not inspire confidence. This is why we can't have nice things!

Think we need to look away from the not letting 95% do something because the 5% do something else.

manafana wrote: »
    Think we need to look away from the not letting 95% do something because the 5% do something else.

It's always about the lowest common denominator.

It would be interesting to know what would happen (maybe it already has?) if someone on a bike made a bad call and got hit by a vehicle.

If it was legal to go through a red light then would the State be liable? Unless there was some weird "you do so at your own risk" clause?

manafana wrote: »

Yes, you're right. You will always have those who will never participate in a system, no matter what system you implement, no amount of telling can change those so I suppose you go on ahead with the changes. But...
    It's always about the lowest common denominator.

It would be interesting to know what would happen (maybe it already has?) if someone on a bike made a bad call and got hit by a vehicle.

If it was legal to go through a red light then would the State be liable? Unless there was some weird "you do so at your own risk" clause?

However, if the lowest common denominator insists on flying through lights when pedestrians are crossing at full tilt (just one example), full of the self righteous belief that it's not illegal I don't know how long such generous rules will last.

I wonder could you bring it in with conditions, eg. never at pedestrian crossings, only where there isn't a sign etc. or would that make it too conditional and awkward?

However, if the lowest common denominator insists on flying through lights when pedestrians are crossing at full tilt (just one example), full of the self righteous belief that it's not illegal I don't know how long such generous rules will last.

I wonder could you bring it in with conditions, eg. never at pedestrian crossings, only where there isn't a sign etc. or would that make it too conditional and awkward?

Because you are dealing with the lowest common denominator the solution is a simple one.

Red light = Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....If it was legal to go through a red light then would the State be liable? Unless there was some weird "you do so at your own risk" clause?
    Doesn't seem to be a problem in the US where one may turn right* on red (unless specifically prohibited) but must yield to any pedestrians crossing and all vehicles on the road one is entering.

(* equivalent of our left turn)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I broke out a new pair of winter gloves I bought last year for the first time two weeks ago and yesterday managed to drop one somewhere on my commute home :( I'm going to be cycling around like a Michael Jackson impersonator for a while!

• Advertisement

Yes, you're right. You will always have those who will never participate in a system, no matter what system you implement, no amount of telling can change those so I suppose you go on ahead with the changes. But...

rule as mentioned in article is that peds always have right of way over a cyclist passing a stop or making left turn (just like in the us or aus)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement