Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

RobFowl wrote: »
    Is it just me or is very hard to sell stuff at the moment?
    Seems to be very few buyers and of those that are commenting seems to be a high percentage of tyre kickers......

It maybe time to get a few tables out in the car park of a certain pub and sell in real life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Here, adverts and done deal.
    Have a range of stuff up and no interest on some good quality bits and when there have been offers tyre kickers and messers

D9ne deal is horrendous, adverts slightly better but still alot of f'in around. At least here you get the truth about how no one will buy your stuff without all the messing about.

koutoubia wrote: »
    It maybe time to get a few tables out in the car park of a certain pub and sell in real life.

Are you organising a date, time and location. Moving house soon so have lots to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I've got gold, silver and bronze from the World Medical games if you want to check the colouring ;)

Ah yea but you were only 17th, 23rd and 27th overall in the races!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Is it just me or is very hard to sell stuff at the moment?
    Seems to be very few buyers and of those that are commenting seems to be a high percentage of tyre kickers......

I'd love for someone to kick my tyres.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

12193374_10153239537213946_5327909037587179588_n.jpg?oh=015e130c11d2def4ab02dab912d172d6&oe=5684F214

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

^^^^immediately stolen for Facebook

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Ah yea but you were only 17th, 23rd and 27th overall in the races!

Worst result over 5 races was 12th ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

According to a Volvo driver I met this morning, I'm the reason cyclists have a bad name. I don't know what I was doing to achieve such an honour, and he didn't stick around to continue the conversation he started through his passenger window on the wrong side of a solid white line on a blind corner.

I don't know whether to perform seppuku with a tyre lever, or will a few rounds of self-flagellation with a chain whip do? I'll leave it up to every cyclist on the planet whose name I have sullied to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lads, the R759 road (Sally Gap to Manor Kilbride) is physically closed at the first little bridge on the descent (not the dangerous Liffey one). There are barriers across it. Can see anything official online about it. The only way around it is to ford the stream.

According to a Volvo driver I met this morning, I'm the reason cyclists have a bad name. I don't know what I was doing to achieve such an honour...
    Mis-matched boards.ie kit?

I can't think of any other reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

According to a Volvo driver I met this morning, I'm the reason cyclists have a bad name.

It's a pity you had to find out this way. Nobody had the heart to tell you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Mis-matched boards.ie kit?

I can't think of any other reason!
    I was in club kit, so it can't have been that... Maybe he didn't like five people riding 2 abreast. Some people are very particular about their whole numbers.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's a pity you had to find out this way. Nobody had the heart to tell you here.
    I've always had my suspicions. I'm glad it's finally out in the open.

I was in club kit, so it can't have been that....

Depends on the club, he might have meant your plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

CramCycle wrote: »
    Are you organising a date, time and location. Moving house soon so have lots to move.

Spoke about it at the club coffee meeting this morning.
    Seems to be a decent interest in guys selling stuff but getting buyers is a different story,
    It would be in deep North County Dublin.
    Would send an email out to all the clubs so if they are passing on their spin they could stop buy and have a look.

As a motorcyclist passed alongside me near the end of my ride today, he pointed down rapidly several times at my bike and then sped off. I wasn't sure what he was trying to tell me and presumed he may have had a problem with my road positioning (although there was nothing wrong with it). Several minutes later my right cleat detached. He must have seen the bolts come off which I didn't hear with passing traffic. Thank you whoever you are! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

As a motorcyclist passed alongside me near the end of my ride today, he pointed down rapidly several times at my bike and then sped off. I wasn't sure what he was trying to tell me and presumed he may have had a problem with my road positioning (although there was nothing wrong with it). Several minutes later my right cleat detached. He must have seen the bolts come off which I didn't hear with passing traffic. Thank you whoever you are! :)

mixed bag those motorcyclists they either very caring of cyclists or try to scare the bejesus out of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

koutoubia wrote: »
    Spoke about it at the club coffee meeting this morning.
    Seems to be a decent interest in guys selling stuff but getting buyers is a different story,
    It would be in deep North County Dublin.
    Would send an email out to all the clubs so if they are passing on their spin they could stop buy and have a look.

Buyers are always the problem. Who passing on their spin will have enough room to carry more than something small. It'd need to be thought through a bit better.

The last one that was set up by a good soul on this board was a waste of time with almost none of those who showed an interest in buying or selling showing up.

I have spoken to my own club about running something but we are simply too small. If you're going to do it, make it big? I mentioned it to a few people and they started talking about selling frames worth €1.2k... No-one brings cash like that to car boot sales and you generally can't trust people who say they'll contact you about it.

AFAIK the market for bike stuff is flooded with cheap crap at the moment which is good enough for most people it seems. I'd also argue that this is the wrong time of the year to sell as most fairweather cyclists are hanging up their bikes as the cold comes in.

This isn't an attempt to sh!t on the whole idea of it, but if my last experience with stuff and a few years as a seller at car boots and various fairs is anything to go by, you'll get more people in with better weather and a bit of promotion.

The only positive thing I can suggest is connecting with some of the well-known car boot sales (like the one at Ballinteer Methodist Church) and joining up with them and having bike sale as part of it... but in these cases, sellers would need to pay fees to sell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

This isn't an attempt to sh!t on the whole idea of it,

Jaysus, if that isn't I'd hate to see what was ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone heard any reports of cyclists hitting thumb tacks in north county dublin?
    i had to replace all four tyres on the car yesterday, and we're not sure if the tacks were pushed in when the car was in the driveway, or whether we drove over them while driving out through finglas/coolquoy/garristown road.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not sure we've had one if these northside and I've a garage full of quality gear I could try and shift. Rather than looking at buyers and sellers as somehow different perhaps recognise that if it is generally good quality a lot if the seller are likely to also be buyers

I think people also need to be realistic with pricing. It's a hell of a lot less hassle selling a load of stuff face to face offering decent discounts than working through loads of individual online sales where you may make more on some stuff but equally be left with stuff you need to heavily discount or deals falling through at the last minute.

Anyway if this goes ahead and I can make it I can guarantee a lot of quality stuff at very reasonable prices..... (this is not an advert!!!)

• Advertisement

Jaysus, if that isn't I'd hate to see what was ;)

I know it seems that way tbh, it was really just a devil's advocate approach.

When Mr Sherlock ran these/this he was in a position to basically use his own name to promote it across a number of different fora. But in the last couple or years the whole market has changed and it has become more and more difficult to sell anything, partially because sellers (myself included) are reluctant to make a loss on things. But a car boot type scenario really does seem to be the most logical to me. And I will again recommend looking into the large car park in Whitehall as a possible location, around 2pm on a Sunday. Like I said, I've looked into doing this myself and have realised I just don't have the time or connections to sort it properly. It'd be a biggish job for someone to do right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Beasty wrote: »
    Anyway if this goes ahead and I can make it I can guarantee a lot of quality stuff at very reasonable prices..... (this is not an advert!!!)

I call dibs on the gold shoes.

partially because sellers (myself included) are reluctant to make a loss on things. But a car boot type scenario really does seem to be the most logical to me. And I will again recommend looking into the large car park in Whitehall as a possible location, around 2pm on a Sunday. Like I said, I've looked into doing this myself and have realised I just don't have the time or connections to sort it properly. It'd be a biggish job for someone to do right.

I used to be like that and have ended up with stuff rotting in my shed, I have now come to expect something but to remember that if I will never use it again, something is better than nothing. Whitehall would be good.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I used to be like that and have ended up with stuff rotting in my shed, I have now come to expect something but to remember that if I will never use it again, something is better than nothing. Whitehall would be good.

Oh, I know. I'm still finding it difficult to get out of "unemployment" mode, so I'm scabby with all the wrong stuff at the moment.

Oh, I know. I'm still finding it difficult to get out of "unemployment" mode, so I'm scabby with all the wrong stuff at the moment.

Took me along time to accept the reality of just because I paid X or I think its worth Y that if I won't use it again and no one will pay X or Y then it's only worth the Z offered.

Cleaning out my shed over the weekend and the amount of things i found that someone here offered me something for and now its almost worthless is crazy.

Beasty wrote: »
    ..I think people also need to be realistic with pricing...
    +1

Personally I think that if something is used, regardless of how little, it should be at least half of the new price if not much less. It's ridiculous seeing ads here where a seller is looking for 80% of the new price for a used item.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Personally I think that if something is used, regardless of how little, it should be at least half of the new price if not much less. It's ridiculous seeing ads here where a seller is looking for 80% of the new price for a used item.

50% is way too little for something almost like new, you are selling stuff, you are not giving them away. I think Lumen had wrote a good breakdown on selling percentage but I can't bother looking it up now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AstraMonti wrote: »
    50% is way too little for something almost like new, you are selling stuff, you are not giving them away. I think Lumen had wrote a good breakdown on selling percentage but I can't bother looking it up now :p
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77755114&postcount=2

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Does not matter if a seller thinks their stuff is worth more. Basics of supply and demand at play here. You'll sell stuff if you price it at a level someone is prepared to pay....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

That's only if you are willing to let it go at any price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement