Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

AstraMonti wrote: »
    That's only if you are willing to let it go at any price.

Of course you can keep stuff. That then assumes you have a use for it because if you are just holding on in the hope of realising more on it depreciation and other market forces come into play. That's why the old adage is "cash is king". A willing purchaser has it and a willing seller is looking for it.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lennymc wrote: »
    I call dibs on the gold shoes.
    Are you looking for shoes sized 43 double wide or do you just want to melt them down?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you looking for shoes sized 43 double wide or do you just want to melt them down?

It's more for the voodoo ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Myself and Froomey

Yes someone did ask a doping related question :pac:

12191806_10153607317089845_8192732763354386635_n.jpg?oh=a83f6d8f4101c3a33184eea63383f37c&oe=56CA40DB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

CramCycle wrote: »
    Took me along time to accept the reality of just because I paid X or I think its worth Y that if I won't use it again and no one will pay X or Y then it's only worth the Z offered.

Cleaning out my shed over the weekend and the amount of things i found that someone here offered me something for and now its almost worthless is crazy.

Would the bike to work scheme not also deflate prices, after all why pay €800 for a grands worth of 2nd hand kit that a top rate tax payer availing of bike scheme can get for less new?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Found a clip of Beasty in one of his first track races...

giphy.gif

RobFowl wrote: »
    Found a clip of Beasty in one of his first track races...
    Another lap and I would have had you Rob

BTW, does wonders for the cadence ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Chris Froome will be on Centre Stage at the Web Summit - 12.40pm

You can watch it here

https://websummit.net/live?source=FB

daragh_ wrote: »
    Chris Froome will be on Centre Stage at the Web Summit - 12.40pm

You can watch it here

https://websummit.net/live?source=FB

I'm sure the internet will break such will the demand be......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm sure the internet will break such will the demand be......

Froome charisma throttles Intertubes. Shock. Horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Is it now allowed to race with disc brakes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

<snip>

giphy.gif

That is fantastic. Quoting it to make it appear again!
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    Is it now allowed to race with disc brakes?

At pro tour level they're trialling it, I imagine, and I sincerely hope it'll take ages for it to filter down *has nightmares about disc brakes being jammed on in front*. It's bad enough with rim brakes - it's better fixed with none ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gadetra wrote: »

At pro tour level they're trialling it, I imagine, and I sincerely hope it'll take ages for it to filter down *has nightmares about disc brakes being jammed on in front*. It's bad enough with rim brakes - it's better fixed with none ;)

I really hope it fails, for two reasons, one I think (no proof) close bunches with disc brakes are asking for trouble but more importantly, in various weather conditions, at an amateur level you will have some on rim and some on disc and I am presuming there is an increased risk although I could be wrong with different stopping distances and how immediate that distance is.

I really hope it fails, for two reasons, one I think (no proof) close bunches with disc brakes are asking for trouble but more importantly, in various weather conditions, at an amateur level you will have some on rim and some on disc and I am presuming there is an increased risk although I could be wrong with different stopping distances and how immediate that distance is.

That's exactly why I hope it doesn't happen. If it does go though, then some sort of rule about everyone on disc brakes or no one in a race should happen, it'd just be too scary otherwise.

I know some of the pro's (Bernie was the only Sky rider on disc brakes in one race) raced disc's in the predominately rim braked peleton this year and no one died, but there are vast, orders of magnitude of differences between the skills pro's have an us amateurs possess. A mixed race would fill me with even more dread than usual, I don't think I would race in one to be honest, I would be paranoid about avoiding the disc-braked people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I have mechanical discs on my Croix De Fer and really don't find them that much different from rim brakes, other than not feeling as nice.

Stopping wise they won't bring you to a halt any faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Wait til it rains, then they'll be stopping you faster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Wait til it rains, then they'll be stopping you faster

Swisstop Greens would stop you in Noah's flood.

I suppose the other thing is I am a creature of habit, I know how my brakes react in bad weather, while cornering and at speed. Discs are a bit of fear factor for me (as well as a cost factor), I adjust my riding to suit the bike, brakes and gears, maybe discs will be the same but as Gadetra said, I just don't think (it could be fine) it seems safe.

I have swisstop greens. They most certainly won't stop you in a flood! They're great, but not disc good. I have been on one group spin behind someone in the rain with disc brakes and our stopping abilities when the rain came down were immediately apparant. It scared the bejaysus out of me! I imagine it's quite stressful for the disc braked rider too, as they can't use their brakes as they naturally would, they have to underbrake all the time when surrounded by rim brakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If your riding in a group (race or a pretend race sportive) there is huge variability in stopping distance anyhow
    *Variability in brake pad quality and rim choice
    *Variability in brake set up/cable maintenance
    *Variability in rider's ability to read road/knowledge of road and possible danger points
    *Whether rider keep rims clear of water in wet weather or not

All the above will effect reaction time and /or braking time which we have just got used to.

Like it or not disc brakes are here to stay, primarily to force new sales but that's a whole other discussion:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I've had swissstop greens result in the back of the bike lifting under hard braking in the wet.

My main worry with discs is that there will be panic braking in a big bunch taking down half of the bunch with them. Wet carbon rims wont stand a chance of stopping in comparison to a disc.

ford2600 wrote: »
    If your riding in a group (race or a pretend race sportive) there is huge variability in stopping distance anyhow

I thought that as soon as I said it, I have seen racers who struggle to stop at all as they haven't set up their brakes properly.

Suppose, my hidden concern, is they become a requirement and in 2 years, if I want to race, I have to get a disc brake bike, this would kill me off from competing and many others who just don't have the funds for such things.

I really doubt it will be a requirement to enter a race for at least the next 5-7 years. People are still racing with downtube gear shifting, and these things are more dangerous than disc breaking.

Got to say I prefer racing when no one has any brakes. Evens things up when everyone has to slow down....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't mind them legalising disc brakes as long as there's a rule that any squealing will result in you being booted into the ditch by a motorbike marshal.

We need brake lights /discussion

We need brake lights /discussion

4d32f142871c29466f303c2c80f24ed4.gif

I don't mind them legalising disc brakes as long as there's a rule that any squealing will result in you being booted into the ditch by a motorbike marshal.

There's an argument for that with current carbon rim use in races anyway...

So the argument against disc brakes seems to be fundamentally against user, not product. If this were logical, then we wouldn't like bikes at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's an argument for that with current carbon rim use in races anyway...

Correct. I think the rule should be brake agnostic.

• Advertisement

No they wouldn't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement