Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Someone was warning me today that Thrive's wheels were so delicate that any pothole would buckle them. So? Not-so? So-so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

No they wouldn't

I got caught descending into Laragh in Torrential rain last "summer" admittedly I had to take it handier and I'm unquestionably slower than you Lenny or Gadetra but I quickly found 100% confidence in my ability to stop, slow and modulate.

Now hydraulic brakes look like they might be a whole other kettle of fish.

In fairness I've got TRP Spyre mechanicals on a relatively heavy bike with an objectively heavy rider.
    So whichever brake I generally have my arse over the back wheel on descents to help it.

Someone was warning me today that Thrive's wheels were so delicate that any pothole would buckle them. So? Not-so? So-so?

People tend to overemphasise the fragility of bikes and wheels.

They appear to be fairly basic road wheels so fine for cutting about for anyone up to a 100kg plus shopping in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I'm unquestionably slower than you Lenny or Gadetra

Is that even possible?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Is that even possible?

I feel a mockleresque challenge coming on. gadetra gets to choose weapons and location.....

• Advertisement

People tend to overemphasise the fragility of bikes and wheels.

They appear to be fairly basic road wheels so fine for cutting about for anyone up to a 100kg plus shopping in my experience.

Thanks, roller. My impression too.

(By "plus shopping" you presumably mean plus-shopping, in other words a five stone bag of spuds plus a bottle of wine, three of Saskia, a chicken, apples, bananas, two lots of carrots…?)

Just saw you were calling them fairly basic road wheels. Don't know; they're skinny yokes. Whatever the below means, they're:

Rims: Giant S-R2 Disc
    Hubs: Giant Tracker Sport Road
    Spokes: Sapim Leader
    Tyres: Giant S-R3 All-Condition, 700x28mm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Is that even possible?

Cross at Tymon park will give the answer!
    No shows count as concessions....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Is that even possible?

Don't be silly nothing's slower than me or Lenny. Rollingscone must be having one of his turns...
    Beasty wrote: »
    I feel a mockleresque challenge coming on. gadetra gets to choose weapons and location.....

Googling mockler did not help explain what it is.

Weapons. Each one in one of my boat anchor Peugeots. The Wall. Who ever lives wins :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Slow race down that climb behind marlay park that everyone wines about, something lane, I am tired.

Touch the ground = instant DQ
    Breach of the RTA = Instant DQ

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

gadetra wrote: »

Ask My name is Mario

gadetra wrote: »

A poster called el tonto took on the mighty Mockler007 in a race across Dubin and lost (both the race and the fashion contest...)

IMG_0027.JPG

On the off chance anyone finds an Infini USB chargeable rear light between Abbey Street and Rathmines along the canal track...Christ I hate those mounts

Bummer... but .... perhaps cheaper rear lights can be the answer? Their mounts are as bad, but you can replace them for peanuts. (or keep some surplus like me)

They also run for weeks on double AAA - I wouldn't bother with rechargeables.

Unlike front lights of course, different story here.

Alek wrote: »
    Bummer... but .... perhaps cheaper rear lights can be the answer? Their mounts are as bad, but you can replace them for peanuts. (or keep some surplus like me)

They also run for weeks on double AAA - I wouldn't bother with rechargeables.

Unlike front lights of course, different story here.

Have Bontrager Embers, work like gang busters the Infinis were a one off experiment.

I've never met Beasty, but is this what he looks like?

367538.jpg

Or this?

367539.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

<snip>

Yes.

If you put a Christmas jersey on them. On the 1st of July. He's not a well man...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

I've never met Beasty, but is this what he looks like?...

Artists impression....

mummy-on-bike.jpg

CPL 593H

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You've not met me but know about my "Alcatraz" gear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I got caught descending into Laragh in Torrential rain last "summer" admittedly I had to take it handier and I'm unquestionably slower than you Lenny or Gadetra but I quickly found 100% confidence in my ability to stop, slow and modulate.

I think you overestimate my abilities. I am a very poor descender and actually had it pointed out to me that I have an ascent of Stocking Lane which is faster than my descent, but it's undeniable that disk brakes will stop you much better than the rest in the wet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Moved into new apartment this week, which has transplanted my OH a distance away from her job that she's not used to having been able to walk for the last 5+ years.

She drives and was stuck in traffic for the guts of an hour while I (twice as far to travel) got in in 25 mins.

Have to gently persuade her to bike it as I think as we've reached our limit, if not past it, for car capacity in Dublin. Need to encourage carpooling at the very least if people need to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i leave this thread for a day and come back to find out that I'm entered in a slow race down a lane up the wall against rollingscone and gadetra on boat anchors. Did I miss Wednesday and Thursday, cos it can only be Friday.....
    furiousox wrote: »
    Artists impression....

mummy-on-bike.jpg

@furiousox - that is obviously beasty after his accident (that he may or may not have spoken about previously)

Every time I buy the cheapest sunglasses from ebay, just by their looks and price, someone points out later that they are Oakley knockoffs. I check and indeed they are... I wasn't even trying, officer!

FFS, are there no original designs out there? I guess I need to pick the fugliest ones next time...

lennymc wrote: »
    i leave this thread for a day and come back to find out that I'm entered in a slow race down a lane up the wall against rollingscone and gadetra on boat anchors.
    You only have to beat Lusk_Doyle over one lap of the track. gadetra will be sorting out his hire bike for him (it will probably be green though) ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Swisstop Greens would stop you in Noah's flood.

this is true, until you put 10k on them :D

**** myself in downpour other day need changing now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Weepsie wrote: »
    Moved into new apartment this week, which has transplanted my OH a distance away from her job that she's not used to having been able to walk for the last 5+ years.

She drives and was stuck in traffic for the guts of an hour while I (twice as far to travel) got in in 25 mins.

Have to gently persuade her to bike it as I think as we've reached our limit, if not past it, for car capacity in Dublin. Need to encourage carpooling at the very least if people need to drive.

whatever we do its got to encourage making alternative methods easier than just keep encouraging driving in city centre which is just too popular right nw, love see few more college green style bans.

Speed of some of cars in city as well is scary, speed limits just not been adhered too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Beasty wrote: »
    You only have to beat Lusk_Doyle over one lap of the track. gadetra will be sorting out his hire bike for him (it will probably be green though) ;).

That is no competition. Everyone knows Lusk_Doyle can't turn left.

2014-12-derek-zoolander12.0.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    A poster called el tonto took on the mighty Mockler007 in a race across Dubin and lost (both the race and the fashion contest...)

IMG_0027.JPG

Ha ha! Check out Santa Fred on the back right!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement