Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

We need this in Dublin!

http://9gag.com/gag/adj6xrZ

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lemmy Kilmister RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

AstraMonti wrote: »
    We need this in Dublin!

http://9gag.com/gag/adj6xrZ

And a real Dutch cycling test for schoolchildren. Look how much safer the roads are for cycling!

(Odd, that YouTube link doesn't seem to be appearing. It's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMdmtM7Kv4c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Does anyone know if AnPost is closed all week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Does anyone know if AnPost is closed all week?

Normal operations resume tomorrow. 30th.

link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Took the Luas this morning on account of Frank looming and I'm also still unhappy with my rear wheel, I think I may have slightly overtightened the hub after taking it apart so I'll have to do it all again
    Anybody else chained to a desk today?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Working from home doing support calls. 2 hours no calls, would've been a nice morning for a spin.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Working from home doing support calls. 2 hours no calls, would've been a nice morning for a spin.

Phones here haven't stopped all morning. I also have over 250emails sitting in my inbox, serves me right for taking annual leave before Christmas. Bright side is I'm only in today and off again until Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Took the Luas this morning on account of Frank looming and I'm also still unhappy with my rear wheel, I think I may have slightly overtightened the hub after taking it apart so I'll have to do it all again
    Anybody else chained to a desk today?
    I'll be leaving the office at about 8.30pm so Frank will be in full swing. yr.no giving 'strong gale' here with a wind speed of 22m/s at that time. Should be an interesting commute home. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

There is only little traffic today - make a good use of that tailwind! :D

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    There is only little traffic today - make a good use of that tailwind! :D

Yeah but you will have to cycle into it at some stage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Posted before? I dunno.

b0e93ab1f54b6e6fae12d0de94098904.jpg

Real?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Yes, they are real cyclists.

Your answer does not give any answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

That sad moment at the end of an evening of picking up great clothing bargains on Wiggle when I go back and empty my basket...

I'm tackling my first attempt at sally gap this week, most likely on Thursday. Anybody here like to join me? Pace will obviously be relaxed but I'm going up to the gap and back through Blessington. Going to hit McDonald's Kylemore Road for a coffee before I start. Will leave from there then head up to Tallaght. Thinking of setting off at around 8.30

Failed... set off as planned and the rain started as I passed Old Bawn but I kept going, opted for the route that goes up by Bohernabreena cemetery and brings you out up beyond v iew point on military road. It was on that road I was battered with hail and sleet so when I reached Military Road I turned left for home. Soaked and freezing I chickened out.
    Also apologies to the chap who said hello in McDonald's this morning, I only realised after that it must have been one of you lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Failed... set off as planned and the rain started as I passed Old Bawn but I kept going, opted for the route that goes up by Bohernabreena cemetery and brings you out up beyond v iew point on military road. It was on that road I was battered with hail and sleet so when I reached Military Road I turned left for home. Soaked and freezing I chickened out.
    Also apologies to the chap who said hello in McDonald's this morning, I only realised after that it must have been one of you lot!

You didn't chicken out, you made the right call.

It has it's own climate up there and I'd imagine descending would have been a nightmare and utterly freezing, nevermind what the weather would have been like up there!

A handier/nicer? route would be to not take the Cemetery turn and keep going on that road past the reservoirs and on the descent after the Cement factory, at the top, take the first left, to Talbotstown or something, rather than following the road to Brittas. Follow that road until the very fast descent down Butter mountain/The Dowery (I think) and take the left at the cross roads. Watch that descent though, that crossroads can be a b1tch to stop at! * See the eejit below.

You are should now be heading towards Sally Gap from the Manor Kilbride side, passing Kippure holiday village and when you get to it, after you've taken your selfie or bike pic at the sign posts, take the left which takes you back to the Featherbeds, which would be more homeward bound for you, I think. It's quite a long descent too so it would be bleedin' freezing in this weather.

Also, probably not wise to leave your bike locked outside McDonalds on the Kylemore road with that wire lock! A bike that nice should only ever be under your arse or in the gaff!

That particular Mc'Ds would be very popular with a lot of unsavoury types.

Thanks for that :)

That route I took was particularly rough with very little cover. Got to viewpoint on the way back down and met two lads who had just made the same decision as me, one of them opened his saddle bag which resulted in the 3 of us chasing 20 quid down the road 😆
    Hopefully next weekend brings better weather for me to try again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

It's at this time of year that we should think of those less fortunate. So I would like to wish all Try Athletes all the best for 2016 and hope it all works out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In the party bus 1 thread there was a discussion on ambulances and people calling them unnecessarily, and I mentioned neighbours of mine who are always doing it despite cars sitting in the driveway. This evening they done it again only this time the crew came out from the house on their own, jumped back in and drove away, closely followed by a few of those that live there getting into the car and driving off, presumably to the hospital.

The crews must be well fed up at this stage and explained there's nothing seriously wrong with whoever they were called for and they'll needlessly be held up by them at A&E on probably their busiest night of the year.

Edit, back around 12.45. Emergency over.

I'm buckled...

Anybody got a spoke spanner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Happy New Year, and may the roads rise with you, and a keen descent and no punctures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm buckled...

Anybody got a spoke spanner?
    As someone who set fire to his wheels in the past, leave it until tomorrow

CramCycle wrote: »
    As someone who set fire to his wheels in the past, leave it until tomorrow

How the.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

ThisRegard wrote: »
    In the party bus 1 thread there was a discussion on ambulances and people calling them unnecessarily, and I mentioned neighbours of mine who are always doing it despite cars sitting in the driveway. This evening they done it again only this time the crew came out from the house on their own, jumped back in and drove away, closely followed by a few of those that live there getting into the car and driving off, presumably to the hospital.

The crews must be well fed up at this stage and explained there's nothing seriously wrong with whoever they were called for and they'll needlessly be held up by them at A&E on probably their busiest night of the year.

Edit, back around 12.45. Emergency over.

ADDED by fact know one ever knows if you will be charged for ambulance call out or not, assume in this case they won't be paying.

Lets bring in the basic income and start charging for actually using a service

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Can't believe that there is a lively thread going on about indoor trainers !
    Must be the Luddite in me but a huge part of cycling to me is getting out doors and clearing the head.
    Thought of equating cycling with an imitation gym at home depresses me 👊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

RobFowl wrote: »
    Can't believe that there is a lively thread going on about indoor trainers !
    Must be the Luddite in me but a huge part of cycling to me is getting out doors and clearing the head.
    Thought of equating cycling with an imitation gym at home depresses me 👊

I'm actually suffering greatly from not being able to get out for a cycle in the outdoor gases.

Have the turbo set up as a last resort but if the Mrs and my sole remaining job would let me I'd rather be sloshing around in the dark and stormy days on my CdF

• Advertisement

I'm actually suffering greatly from not being able to get out for a cycle in the outdoor gases.

Have the turbo set up as a last resort but if the Mrs and my sole remaining job would let me I'd rather be sloshing around in the dark and stormy days on my CdF

That I can empathise with, it's the guys who want a super duper computer one that allows them "freewheel" down virtual hills...

That's called a Feckin sofa.............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement