Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

RobFowl wrote: »
    Can't believe that there is a lively thread going on about indoor trainers !
    Must be the Luddite in me but a huge part of cycling to me is getting out doors and clearing the head.
    Thought of equating cycling with an imitation gym at home depresses me 👊

I do really specific things on rollers, and I love it. I still get out for about 300k between commuting and Sunday spin (although various bits if my bike managed to fail the last few Sundays so I missed it :( ). I go out in all weathers.
    Everyone cycles for different reasons, I love the training for racing, I actually don't like long solo spins. I like the social aspect of a group spin, and the absolutely-turn-yourself-inside-out-almost getting-sick intensity of the rollers. Different strokes for different folks, horses for courses, *insert platitudes here* :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

gadetra wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks,

Tolerance !

Bah Humbug

Anyone who wants an indoor trainer that lets them coast "downhill" deserves to be shot at dawn....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anyone who wants an indoor trainer that lets them coast "downhill" deserves to be shot at dawn....
    Sorry Rob but I think that's a little extreme....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Beasty wrote: »

Can't be doing these things before breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can't be doing these things before breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day

Everyone should be in the best of health before we line them up against the wall to be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »

Not at all....

In fact I think he should be made read 3 of Sir Bradley of Wigginsis books first as well

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not at all....

In fact I think he should be made read 3 of Sir Bradley of Wigginsis books first as well
    Bet you didn't get an XMas card from the ISPCA (or its human equivalent).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Not at all....

In fact I think he OR SHE should be made read 3 of Sir Bradley of Wigginsis books first as well

Fixed your post (before gadetra gets in)

lennymc wrote: »
    Fixed your post (before gadetra gets in)

Nah, has to be a he.

Women have too much sense to admit a desire to freewheel in front of the TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Original spinning bike?

Photo from The Golden Fleece pub in York.

• Advertisement

Post. Of. The. Year.:D

Nah, has to be a he.

Women have too much sense to admit a desire to freewheel in front of the TV

Sense is non gender specific :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

gadetra wrote: »
    and the absolutely-turn-yourself-inside-out-almost getting-sick intensity of the rollers.

What are rollers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

That sad moment at the end of an evening of picking up great clothing bargains on Wiggle when I go back and empty my basket...

I think I'm not going to sign up to anymore newsletters from "boutique" (as I call them) cycle clothing manufactures. Instagram is a killer for them.

http://spincycleclothing.cc/ have a serious sale on... still... I resisted.

OK... In reality the black kit was sold out in my size! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What are rollers?
    Things that make your hair curly. My grandmother liked them!

What are rollers?

They're 3 drums, like big rolling pins with two are the back that your back wheel does between, then one your front wheel goes onto. There is an elastic band that goes around the front drum and the next in line. When you pedal they all move. They're far more entertaining than a turbo imo, because you're not just sitting there when you have to do your efforts etc. And keep the bike up. Great for smoothness and leg speed. I love them!

Good heavens! I thought you were joking, and looked it up!

Wouldn't you think something like a train track, with a surface that grips the wheels, mightn't work better? Or not?

Wouldn't you think something like a train track, with a surface that grips the wheels, mightn't work better? Or not?

The instability is part of the point of rollers. You Have to be smooth to work at high cadences or you'll just wobble off. It's also part of (mainly) the fun of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

There is plenty of grip. Also, the bike needs to be able to move left/right otherwise you will fall off.

• Advertisement

I just upgraded my turbo telly in the garage.....

The old one is in front

[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/[\IMG] I give up. Bloody phones......[/img]

The old one is in front

I dunno, et tu Lenny.....

Whats wrong with the open road???

Roll on Tollymore forest park and hope you have a soft landing when I shove you into the ditch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Roll on Tollymore forest park and hope you have a soft landing when I shove you into the ditch ;)

He doesn't want to miss Fair City

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The old one is in front

s/\/\/ ???

unfortunately I wont be at the nationals this year :(

The turbo is an unfortunate neccessity at the moment, cos it's raining.... :)

unfortunately I wont be at the nationals this year :(

I was only (half) joking about the ditch ;)

85k this am and downhill simulation this evening using a state of the art Software Optimised Freewheeling Acclimatisation device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

85k this am and downhill simulation this evening using a state of the art Software Activated Freewheeling Acclimatisation device.

SAFA?

koutoubia wrote: »
    SAFA?

Redacted ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

strava lovers:

sum up your 2015 with these two links

http://2015.strava.com/video/TN1NqL4

http://veloviewer.com/athlete/335646/graphic

nice summary chart of your 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement