Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Can a mod clarify something for me, please? I did some searching on aliexpress on the forum (I remember there was an issue sometime back) and all I can find is ban on Counterfeit goods type stuff/links. Which makes sense, as tbh there are as many Counterfeit gear sellers on ebay and elsewhere.

But is there a blanket ban on Aliexpress? From what I can tell (and I've made quite a few transactions on the site) it's just a chineese ebay and there are plenty of legitamate/non counterfiet shops such as West Biking and lots of others who do lights and safety gear.

So are links to non counterfeit stuff allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Can a mod clarify something for me, please? I did some searching on aliexpress on the forum (I remember there was an issue sometime back) and all I can find is ban on Counterfeit goods type stuff/links. Which makes sense, as tbh there are as many Counterfeit gear sellers on ebay and elsewhere.

But is there a blanket ban on Aliexpress? From what I can tell (and I've made quite a few transactions on the site) it's just a chineese ebay and there are plenty of legitamate/non counterfiet shops such as West Biking and lots of others who do lights and safety gear.

So are links to non counterfeit stuff allowed?

We'll take it on a case by case basis. The direction to prevent discussion about counterfeits came from the office, but I don't think anyone has any problem with legitimate shops on Aliexpress. I will pass your question along to them just to be sure.

Any further questions, we should take to pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Tyres tyres tyres. The original Kenda tyres that came on the bike were grand, one puncture which I got along the canal and a rip appeared in one after 1500kms and the second got damaged during an altercation with the luas line. So my lbs had schwalbe luganos in stock which I bought. They're on 600kms now and I've had 4 punctures and they look pretty shabby and worn. I run at the recommended psi which I check before each ride and have become better at route selection and avoiding holes and debris. So can anybody recommend road tyres that aren't ****e and won't be past it after 600kms?
    700×23c

Tyres tyres tyres. The original Kenda tyres that came on the bike were grand, one puncture which I got along the canal and a rip appeared in one after 1500kms and the second got damaged during an altercation with the luas line. So my lbs had schwalbe luganos in stock which I bought. They're on 600kms now and I've had 4 punctures and they look pretty shabby and worn. I run at the recommended psi which I check before each ride and have become better at route selection and avoiding holes and debris. So can anybody recommend road tyres that aren't ****e and won't be past it after 600kms?
    700×23c

There's a huge amount of choice, so it's best to think about what are you looking for in a tyre? Best ride quality? Best longevity? Best puncture protection? Most lightweight? Best value for money?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As above some have their favourites. I have various tyres on the bikes, and have had good experiences with Schwalbe Marathon & Durano Plus, Mostly good with Gatorskins but they eventually got knackered out and good on Michelin Pro4 Endurance, so they've been upgraded to a second version.

Also could they incident with the Luas line have done anything to the Rims to make punctures more likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Weepsie wrote: »
    As above some have their favourites. I have various tyres on the bikes, and have had good experiences with Schwalbe Marathon & Durano Plus, Mostly good with Gatorskins but they eventually got knackered out and good on Michelin Pro4 Endurance, so they've been upgraded to a second version.

Also could they incident with the Luas line have done anything to the Rims to make punctures more likely?

Rims seem fine I've gone over them with a fine tooth comb and was sure to clean out the tyre after each flat, they just seem to have a terrible rubber compound.

Longevity isn't a major issue for me but 600kms is a little quick for tyres to be past it. So I'd like something that offers decent puncture protection and a good ride quality

Rims seem fine I've gone over them with a fine tooth comb and was sure to clean out the tyre after each flat, they just seem to have a terrible rubber compound.

Longevity isn't a major issue for me but 600kms is a little quick for tyres to be past it. So I'd like something that offers decent puncture protection and a good ride quality

If you're happy to spend 40-50 euro then Continental Grand Prix 4 Season seem to be one of the best compromises. The annoying thing is that good puncture protection requires a harder tyre compound, which is usually detrimental to ride quality. Conti Gatorskin Hardshells are the clearest example, if you can handle them vs something like an ultremo.

My own preference is for Vittoria tyres though, if you want greater value for money.

CX1F6V9WYAANmrv.jpg

Caption competition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Caption competition.

Prostate disease catches up with the King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Caption competition.

He'll pay for that on the poggio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

"I was just cycling along, when all of a sudden my bottom bracket seized up"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

"do i need to take this right turn"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

"And Kelly's floating towards the finish with his usual effortless grace…"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Caption competition.

Always wear a helmet......it may save you from drowning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

And when the search party find you, they'll tell you if it was to wet to train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

We're from Carrick, we only know one route for a spin☺

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

[quote=

Caption competition.[/quote]

'Not too keen on these triathlons'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So I have a functional Suunto Ambit 2S that I use as my bike computer (and increasingly infrequently as a running / hillwalking GPS [it gives 10 figure grids ] ) which I use with a gsc 10 on the roadbike and just a GPS on the Croix .

At present I find myself bitterly tempted by a 520 bundle with HRM and the new speed cadence sensors.

Anyone want to talk me out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

So I have a functional Suunto Ambit 2S that I use as my bike computer (and increasingly infrequently as a running / hillwalking GPS [it gives 10 figure grids ] ) which I use with a gsc 10 on the roadbike and just a GPS on the Croix .

At present I find myself bitterly tempted by a 520 bundle with HRM and the new speed cadence sensors.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Nope!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/garmin-edge-520/rp-prod138428?stop_mobi=yes

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

It's just 'stuff'. More pleasure to be got by 'doing things' than 'having stuff'

(But I know, we all like to have nice 'stuff')

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Pulling skids with good old Henri :Dgiphy.gif

(especially if you're into history of photography)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Alek wrote: »

(especially if you're into history of photography)

Mesmerising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

12400622_1021283171269032_7867421497768111040_n.jpg?oh=ef4ffba7cda04135fd5637f950f1b9b8&oe=570F2D85&__gda__=1459665166_03086efde0f323be37dadd5614971838

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

24189377145_95b155739b_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/garmin-varia-vision-hud.html
    Garmins first attempt at a HUD. looks promising. Although I wouldn't touch it for the moment, too pricey, maybe after a few iterations.

Does seem like the best attempt so far. Fairly lightweight and has a small form factor compared to others I've seen. It has to connect to an edge for data which I think is a better solution to putting everything on your head. Also connects to their new radar technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Varia Radar looks great
    Garmin-Vaira-Vision-Radar-Display-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The Varia Radar looks great
    It's a very expensive helmet mirror.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement