Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Friend of mine was on Strava for about two months when he picked up a KOM on a busy 12km long segment on a club spin. After about 7-8 congratulatory messages, he asked 'Hey lads, what's a KOM?'
    We thought he was taking the p1ss, but he wasn't. Priceless.

What's a kom? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Yeah, what is a kom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

King of the Mountain

Only, with Strava, it doesn't have to be a mountain/hill - it can be any segment of road

Sexist peegs. Should be MOM - Monarch of the Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Yeah, what is a kom?

Not sure myself, seeing as I don't have any, but if I ever get one I'll be sure to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's QOMs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

gadetra wrote: »
    Seen a bike the other night coming the other way that had: one extremely bright flashing light in the middle of his bars, one smaller white light on the right, a helmet mounted very bright one and, inexplicably, a red light on the left hand side of his bars :confused: Kudos for all the lights but why the back light on the front? Wonders never cease... I suppose he had all areas covered!

But you're a mod. Hope you stopped him and gave him an infraction.

Or at least a warning...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

cdaly_ wrote: »

Or at least a warning...

Ha no, I shook my head and had an incredulous laugh to myself about it.

I was coming up the canal one evening, and pulled into the side of the road to let what I thought was an ambulance by. It was a fellow cyclists' front light, angled up :confused:. Said to him at the next lights that it was very bright. He said "Well sure you have to be seen". I think you could see him from space…

I have yet to see someone with a blue light, I shall keep my eyes peeled Qualitymark! Is that even legal?

I have yet to see someone with a blue light, I shall keep my eyes peeled Qualitymark! Is that even legal?

I was pretty astonished myself. I suppose the idea is to make drivers think "Ooops, the filth" and sheer away.

What's legal is white on the front and red on the back.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

cdaly_ wrote: »

Or at least a warning...

Me on my commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Reminds me of that gynnecologist who incompetently referreed several games during Italia '90.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Magnificent. If I could run I would run like that every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Ah here - if that was the case my one and only ever KOM in Ireland wouldn't have happened.

I (briefly) had a KOM out near Clontarf that was 2 seconds behind the QOM. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Lots of black ice along Clontarf road. Be careful.

Ah here - if that was the case my one and only ever KOM in Ireland wouldn't have happened.

I (briefly) had a KOM out near Clontarf that was 2 seconds behind the QOM. :o

Power of the MOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Saw this on my commute in this morning. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

You 're on the footpad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

12376385_1680997902144114_4626232500553624690_n.jpg?oh=dd6e72566d8802aaaa72044188805114&oe=570899D7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

AstraMonti wrote: »
    You 're on the footpad!!!

There's a comedy of errors in that vid. Footpod usage, inside a turning truck, truck goes over the kerb, car parked on both footpod and on double yellow lines while they presumably run into the shop for something, car going to pull out with a cyclist alongside it.

I know i know i know, I'm the devil incarnate. I was expecting the truck to get stuck there for quite some time and made a poor choice. I then stopped when I saw it making the turn. I could upload the last 5000km and show 0 previous path mounting. But that would take a lot of effort!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I could upload the last 5000km and show 0 previous path mounting. But that would take a lot of edit!
    FYP;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I know i know i know, I'm the devil incarnate. I was expecting the truck to get stuck there for quite some time and made a poor choice. I then stopped when I saw it making the turn. I could upload the last 5000km and show 0 previous path mounting. But that would take a lot of effort!

You were lucky a Garda didn't spot you on the path.

He'd be delighted that you have video evidence of the offence

Wonder are the quotes in this anti-cyclist piece citing "cyclist (63)" edited from a more balanced original interview

http://www.independent.ie/life/city-cycling/i-stay-safe-in-the-city-by-assuming-everyone-is-an-idiot-says-cyclist-63-34363764.html

dunworth1 wrote: »
    You were lucky a Garda didn't spot you on the path.

He'd be delighted that you have video evidence of the offence

They'd have me drawn and quartered. Very lucky indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

I bought about 10 of these in different colours as spare light to throw in jersey pockets, the blue silicone ones light up a bit blue even though the LED is white

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-Bicycle-Bike-Cycling-Silicone-Head-Front-Rear-Wheel-Safety-Light-Lamp/32407191034.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.10.VisiMt&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1,searchweb201644_2_10001_10002_10005_301_10006_10003_10004_62,searchweb201560_1,searchweb1451318400_6148

Saw this on my commute in this morning. Idiot.....
    Relax............he's wearing a helmet and hi-viz. What could go wrong? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thud wrote: »

I could be wrong but my understanding is that only an emergency vehicle is allowed have blue lights or that could be blue flashing lights.

Quick google implies the following vehicles can use them when appropriate but again I could be wrong (these are the list for amber and blue, hence the need for the appropriate use bit):

(i) by a member of the Garda Síochána in the performance of his or her duties as such member,
    (ii) as a fire brigade vehicle,
    (iii) by persons providing an ambulance service,
    (iv) by the Irish Prison Service,
    (v) as an Irish Marine Emergency Service vehicle, with or without a trailer,
    (vi) for the delivery or collection of human transplant organs human blood or human blood products,
    (vii) as a breakdown vehicle,
    (viii) as a road clearance vehicle,
    (ix) as a road works vehicle,
    (x) by a local authority (within the meaning of the Local Government Act 2001 (No. 37 of 2001)) or other person authorised by a local authority in the collection and disposal of refuse,
    (xi) in the provision or maintenance of telephone services or of gas or electricity supply, or
    (xii) as a Customs and Excise patrol vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Can you use the washing up liquid anti fog method with prescription lenses?

CramCycle wrote: »
    ...Quick google implies the following vehicles can use them when appropriate but again I could be wrong (these are the list for amber and blue, hence the need for the appropriate use bit):

(i) by a member of the Garda Síochána in the performance of his or her duties as such member,
    (vi) for the delivery or collection of human transplant organs human blood or human blood products,
    (x) by a local authority (within the meaning of the Local Government Act 2001 (No. 37 of 2001)) or other person authorised by a local authority in the collection and disposal of refuse,
    (xi) in the provision or maintenance of telephone services or of gas or electricity supply, or
    While the above refer to flashing beacons (amber and blue) the next section of the SI states that (i) to (iv) of the above refer to blue lights. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

CramCycle wrote: »
    I could be wrong but my understanding is that only an emergency vehicle is allowed have blue lights or that could be blue flashing lights.

Quick google implies the following vehicles can use them when appropriate but again I could be wrong (these are the list for amber and blue, hence the need for the appropriate use bit):

Yeah, I haven't used the blue one outside the house, just bring a red and a white as spares. Am wondering if any of the blue lights you see are unintentional like this, think that type of light is pretty common.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement