Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thud wrote: »
    ... Am wondering if any of the blue lights you see are unintentional....
    Ignorantia juris non excusat!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

While the above refer to flashing beacons (amber and blue) the next section of the SI states that (i) to (iv) of the above refer to blue lights. ;)
    Re #xii
    I thought Customs and Excise could use Blue lights, if the vehicle was easily identifiable as such. However I can't see it in writing anyplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Friggin hell... cycling home while it's snowing is cold. Who'd have thought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

tomasrojo wrote: »
    This is so stupid they risk raising sympathy for him.

I sincerely hope so!

Seems spare spokes are something one should have in the shed. Balls, luas tomorrow

Seems spare spokes are something one should have in the shed. Balls, luas tomorrow

Also not a feckin clue what spoke length I need. Jaysis this biking lark can be a pain in the hole at times :D
    Anybody help me out with what spoke length I need, it's the ****ty syncros rim that came standard on the scott speedster 40. Syncros Aero 27, I couldn't find anything online but surely one of you friendly fellas would know where to look :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sorry Jimmy I wouldn't even know where to get a notion of a spoke!

Has anyone been in the phoenix park? Is it icy or salted? Thinking of laps around the park tomorrow (Friday) about lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

gadetra wrote: »

Has anyone been in the phoenix park? Is it icy or salted? Thinking of laps around the park tomorrow (Friday) about lunchtime.

The roads looked fine there at around 1300 today. Wasn't on them myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Take it handy out there this morning folks. Just landed into work and it's frost-city with black ice everywhere.

If you are rocking slicks I'd wait until the sun comes up before venturing out. Took the MTB this morning but still took it really slow & steady coming in.

Also not a feckin clue what spoke length I need. Jaysis this biking lark can be a pain in the hole at times :D
    Anybody help me out with what spoke length I need, it's the ****ty syncros rim that came standard on the scott speedster 40. Syncros Aero 27, I couldn't find anything online but surely one of you friendly fellas would know where to look :)

Chain Reaction have a spoke buying guide http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/spokes/wheels-spokes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Re #xii
    I thought Customs and Excise could use Blue lights, if the vehicle was easily identifiable as such. However I can't see it in writing anyplace.
    Take it handy out there this morning folks. Just landed into work and it's frost-city with black ice everywhere.

If you are rocking slicks I'd wait until the sun comes up before venturing out. Took the MTB this morning but still took it really slow & steady coming in.

Wasn't too bad once out on the main road for me but the estates had a bit of slip, coupled with very silly driving by some people (slamming on brakes willy nilly, intermixed with driving too fast and then stopping on the main road in moving traffic to let people out nearly causing multiple fender benders, all very stupid, they wouldn't do it when the weather is good). I did think it odd that as I came to UCD there were a few cyclists had went for the pavement rather than the road for (what they presume was) safety even though I could see ice on the pavement, little or none on the bike path and none at all on the bus lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Chain Reaction have a spoke buying guide http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/spokes/wheels-spokes

The link to the guide on that page seems broken, but this one works.

http://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/buying-guides/wheels-and-tyres/spokes-buying-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

CramCycle wrote: »
    coupled with very silly driving by some people (slamming on brakes willy nilly, intermixed with driving too fast and then stopping on the main road in moving traffic to let people out nearly causing multiple fender benders, all very stupid, they wouldn't do it when the weather is good).

What is this all about? I whimped out this morning and drove to work, it was unbelievable. people driving along on the motorway with nothing near them and all of a sudden slamming on.
    What was going through their heads -

"OMG I am doing 50kph and it is slightly cold I had better get back to 20 immediately before my car spontaneously explodes and crashes at 200kph into the car 200 metres ahead of me!!!!...!!!

or

"is it icy here?" *slam*, "no".

50 metres further on

"or here?" *slam* "no".

Traffic lights and stop lines seem to vanish when the weather gets anyway out of the ordinary too... "dammit man, how can I obey traffic signs, LOOK at the weather!!!" - bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

FFS, the subheading
    Police say the cyclist, who was not wearing a helmet, had ignored a red traffic light at the intersection of William and Yurong streets in Sydney

What an earth was the relevance of not wearing a helmet got to do with getting pushed off a bike, and why do the editors feel it's of such importance that it needs to be one of the main details.
    “I completely acknowledge that split-second memories like that could be completely fallible ... What I saw did not indicate in any way that he was giving [the cyclist] fair warning to pull over.

“It just looked like he rode up alongside him and pushed him off his bike.”
    Police said the cyclist fell from his bicycle.

He will be issued with infringement notices for not stopping at a red light and not wearing a helmet.

The 2 makers of Making a Murder have a bit of down time at the moment, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Little bit of a black art in spokes. Which becomes a pain in the hole when all you want to do is replace a broken one, not build a whole wheel.

Simplest way is to take the broken spoke and a good steel ruler if you have one. Measure from the tip of the spoke (i.e. the end of the threads), down to the inside of the elbow. What's the elbow? Where the spoke bends 90 degrees to attach to the hub. So the length of the spoke you're looking for is effectively the length of the long straight bit, but from the inside of the curve, not the outside.

The lengths are in mm, and a standard gauge & weight spoke should do fine, though if you google the wheels it should tell you what the current spokes are. Try and get the measurement as accurate as possible, but again for the purposes of replacing a spoke on a training wheel, you can usually be as much as 2 or 3mm out in your measurement without any problems.

If you were building or rebuilding a wheel, you'd have vernier calipers out getting exact measurements of hub flanges and rim depths, but you don't need that here.

If it's a rear wheel, buy 5 of them. If it's a front wheel, buy ten of them. If one spoke has gone already, more are on the verge of going. So it's handy to have more spares ready to go. Rear wheels have different length spokes on each side, non-disc front wheels have the same length on both sides. Also good practice to replace the nipples, so if you can get a small box of them cheap, you may as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What an earth was the relevance of not wearing a helmet got to do with getting pushed off a bike
    Because in the context of Australian road "safety" it makes the actions of the officer look even worse. The officer knew that the cyclist was like literally on the brink of death by cycling unhelmeted, and then made the conscious decision to push him over! Attempted murder!

• Advertisement

Judge fines cyclist €700 because, apparently, cycling traffic light only applies if you're in the cycle lane:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/four-gardai-needed-to-put-arrogant-cyclist-in-cell-court-told-376308.html
    Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin said he took it from the evidence of Garda Mark O’Connor that his position was that, “the cyclists’ green light only applies to the cycle lane and any cyclist using the road has to obey the rules of the road, Leo (Varadkar) or not.”

(snip)

Shorten told his barrister, Donnacha Kiely, he did not cycle on the cycle lane because lighting was poor on it and pedestrians often walked on it. He denied being drunk at the time, denied swerving and was so worried about the way the gardaí were arresting him that he phoned 999 to report the gardaí to the gardaí.

(snip)

The judge said his attitude was that, “He was on his bike and he could do what he liked — how dare the guards question him. I do not think I have ever come across a more arrogant witness.”

Convictions and fines totalling €700 were affirmed for being drunk and a danger, threatening, obstructing Garda O’Connor and cycling past a red light. The judge allowed the appeal against a €200 fine for cycling under the influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lumen wrote: »
    Because in the context of Australian road "safety" it makes the actions of the officer look even worse. The officer knew that the cyclist was like literally on the brink of death by cycling unhelmeted, and then made the conscious decision to push him over! Attempted murder!

I wouldn't be surprised if it meant the opposite, as if to say the gob****e would have been fine had he been wearing one, so serves him right, in fact he deserved it to teach him a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

This is behind a paywall but i think you can read 2/3 articles a week before the paywall kicks in?

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/8c89e112-b90f-11e5-bf7e-8a339b6f2164.html#axzz3x80MdF8o

Article in financial times concerns "mechanical doping" in sportives/amateur cycling rather than professional.

"I was flying up the hill, having to lean the bike right over so as not to overshoot the corners. I felt like Lance Armstrong or Marco Pantani.
    Which is to say, I felt like a great climber but also something of a fraud. They both used performance-enhancing drugs; I was benefiting from a new type of cheating, something that has become known in the professional cycling world as “mechanical doping”"

invisible & internal system he was using weighted 1.8kg, low down on bike (bottom of seat post) so no handling issues.

http://www.goatbikes.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Judge fines cyclist €700 because, apparently, cycling traffic light only applies if you're in the cycle lane:
    To be fair, he was fined €700 for acting the arsehole and being one of those loudmouth, "you can't arrest me" types when drunk. €200 of the fine was for cycling while drunk, I imagine the fine for breaking the light was only €70 or whatever the standard penalty is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

gadetra wrote: »

Just left D7 and it's still very icy. I was going to cycle to work and changed my mind pretty quickly when I looked out the window. Still nearly fell on my arse.

I should be back over by the park for 12.30/13.00 with an update. And possibly even a spin myself.

But also to be fair, was any evidence (breath or urine test) brought into court that he was drunk? Article doesn't seem to say. Wasn't an appeal allowed in the "under the influence" part?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

He denied being drunk at the time, denied swerving and was so worried about the way the gardaí were arresting him that he phoned 999 to report the gardaí to the gardaí.

Sound reasoning there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

But also to be fair, was any evidence (breath or urine test) brought into court that he was drunk? Article doesn't seem to say. Wasn't an appeal allowed in the "under the influence" part?

AFAIK, the legislation doesn't require any breath or urine test. The Garda simply has to form the opinion that you are too intoxicated to cycle.

AFAIK, the legislation doesn't require any breath or urine test. The Garda simply has to form the opinion that you are too intoxicated to cycle.

Seems a bit dodgy!

I'm not talking about this case - don't know anything about it, was just curious about the legalities of bicycle vs general traffic lights. But I would have thought that if a driver had to be given a breath and urine and possibly blood test, the same should be true of a cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, he was fined €700 for acting the arsehole and being one of those loudmouth, "you can't arrest me" types when drunk. €200 of the fine was for cycling while drunk, I imagine the fine for breaking the light was only €70 or whatever the standard penalty is.

No he was fined for being drunk and a danger.
    He was allowed his appeal for a €200 fine for cycling under the influence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement