Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

bazermc wrote: »
    Are GP 4000s ll any good for all year training, so wet roads. Exactly the crappy weather we have had the last few months.
    Yes. I use them year round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes. I use them year round.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

CramCycle wrote: »
    Same here

Sound. I'll give them a lash so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Whereas in 1903 Irish cyclists apparently wrapped a piece of string around and around the tyre and through the spokes as anti-slip protection. Hardy men. And women.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Whereas in 1903 Irish cyclists apparently wrapped a piece of string around and around the tyre and through the spokes as anti-slip protection. Hardy men. And women.
    That wouldn't allow the brakes to work! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

That wouldn't allow the brakes to work!

In 1903 they were all riding fixies :P

... with drum / coaster brakes I presume.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Not a happy camper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

RobFowl wrote: »
    Not a happy camper

Tell us Rob.

What made you so unhappy in 1903?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tell us Rob.

What made you so unhappy in 1903?

Just not a happy camper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Some wind out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just not a happy camper
    Just think, this thread has been open for 5 months (153 days). At the current rate of ~14 posts per day, it's set to close around August 14, 2017 (560 days time). We've passed the 20% mark!

I am not a happy camper. Third chest infection in 2 months, off the bike for the next 2 weeks this time... :mad::(:mad::(

(and I can't help eating like I was still burning 1000kcal a day extra....:eek:)

Alek wrote: »
    In 1903 they were all riding fixies :P

... with drum / coaster brakes I presume.

No brakes; you stood on the pedals to stop.

The second photo I was going to upload - an RIC man on his Ordinary - had an interesting thing: he was holding the handlebars with his palms facing upwards, rather than knuckle-upwards. Was/is that the normal method?

Fixed gear bikes (fixies) then. Bloody proto-hipsters.

Fixed gear bikes (fixies) then. Bloody proto-hipsters.

I am not a happy camper. Third chest infection in 2 months, off the bike for the next 2 weeks this time... :mad::(:mad::(

(and I can't help eating like I was still burning 1000kcal a day extra....:eek:)

Time to emigrate to France, or Spain, or… anywhere with a warm dry climate.

Time to emigrate to France, or Spain, or… anywhere with a warm dry climate.

Could we just relocate en masses to maybe the south of Spain?
    Or else Catalonia wants independence, we could do a straight swap? (leave our politicians behind though)

I don't really believe in the climate thing, as I'm usually 100% fine for the rest of the year here, and I'm out in the elements daily... As a matter of fact I used to suffer heavy asthma in my youth, which did not return when I moved to Ireland over 15 years ago... until the kids appeared. Little plague bearers*...

* (C) rollingscone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Little plague bearers*...

* (C) rollingscone

And then some. Since mine came along, end of November/start of December I absorb whatever diseases they bring home from school and pre-school.

In fact my two only went back to school this morning after being home sick with me minding them for a week and a half with a virus. At the moment both are probably getting the shakes from Calpol and Neurofen withdrawal.

Whereas I'm in a very much celebratory mood with normality returning to my life again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, my two were out for most of last week. The classrooms were over half-empty at one stage.

The braking mechanisms in the early twentieth century: was something like this not the standard brake?

avon-cycle-brakes.jpg

Or was that not until the thirties or so?

(Sorry for biggish image. Can't upload images, so had to hotlink that.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I don't really believe in the climate thing, as I'm usually 100% fine for the rest of the year here, and I'm out in the elements daily... As a matter of fact I used to suffer heavy asthma in my youth, which did not return when I moved to Ireland over 15 years ago... until the kids appeared. Little plague bearers*...

* (C) rollingscone

Mrs Rollingscone tried to blame my moderate-severe pneumonia (tm) on cycling* but thankfully the consultant at the Mater was quite adamant that it was viral and probably acquired on a wimp list day.

*In her defence it was a pretty scary experience where they thought it was something much worse and rushed me into isolation: Being able to blame it on something as controllable as choosing when to cycle probably had a lot of appeal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Can I join you in the unhappy camper? Got a kidney infection just before Christmas. It's still here :mad:

I've decided that being on the bike is better, fitness makes everything work better!

Got a kidney infection just before Christmas. It's still here

Ouch.
    I've decided that being on the bike is better, fitness makes everything work better!

That was my decision with the first infection - feck it, I am going to ride through it! Needless to say I failed and most likely contributed to the second one that followed. Not taking my chances this time, hello Dublin Bus.
    Can I join you in the unhappy camper?

As much as I symphatise with a fellow hurting person, if you can cycle, please stay away from my depression cave.

:pac:

That was my decision with the first infection - feck it, I am going to ride through it! Needless to say I failed and most likely contributed to the second one that followed. Not taking my chances this time, hello Dublin Bus.

The innocence that you believe using DB will not rapidly lead to a viral/bacterial spike in your day to day life.

Used to commute in DBs for years and - I guess miraculously - avoided most of the airborne, foodborne or sexually transmitted bugs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

As much as I symphatise with a fellow hurting person, if you can cycle, please stay away from my depression cave.

:pac:

*does laps of Alex's depression cave*

Used to commute in DBs for years and - I guess miraculously - avoided most of the airborne, foodborne or sexually transmitted bugs.

I never caught anything myself but from the way some people go on to me, I must be quite resilient, as apparently to use DB in the winter on a busy route is to invite death

to use DB in the winter on a busy route is to invite death

...or worse. I.e. slow torture of getting stranded between two stops on George Street for 35 minutes. Fact!
    *does laps of Alex's depression cave*

pure cruelty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think that's just the Nitelink services.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement